Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.120.133
shadowmere24

How to Check for DNS Leak on Ubuntu Server Without GUI

I'm running ubuntu server 15.10 and I set up a kill switch with airvpn using ufw. I'm concerned that I may have leaks that i'm unaware of, and i don't know how to check to see if I have them or how to avoid them without using a GUI. So how do i check to see if i have a leak without a GUI, and if I do indeed have a leak, how would I fix it?

To be clear, I do not want to install a GUI on my ubuntu server just to check this.

Thank you!

Linux will query the servers from /etc/resolv.conf.

If you want to make an explicit rule in order to make sure no other application is changing these servers

in /etc/resolv.conf (although if it's a single user system nothing should ever alter it) you can add these

extra iptables rules:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 0/0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.4.0.1

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -s 0/0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.4.0.1

These rules will make sure that any application that uses even it's own DNS implementation,

which is again very rare, will be redirected to AirVPN's resolver instead.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Would typing those into the terminal permanently add them as rules? Also, my setup is simply using transmission to torrent while hosting a plex media server to serve up the content i torrent. From what you've said, it seems like it is unlikely that i would be leaking anything. Is that a fair assessment considering that i'm only worried about leaking my ip while torrenting? And does a dns leak from my media server (or any other service i have) make my torrenting traffic vulnerable to prying eyes?

Thanks for the help!