Photo

TAP Driver 9.21.0 causing a myriad of issues.

disconnects slow speeds surging speed

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

The AirVPN client comes with TAP 9.21.1 which officially was built on 07-Nov-2014. I just noticed, there is an update, TAP 9.21.2 from 08-May-2016. I'm going to test it. It also should be more stable on Windows 10 machines.

I invite everyone to update their TAP drivers manually and test reliance and performance of the new version. It can be downloaded directly using this link.

The safe way to install it is to reboot between every step. If you are using the AirVPN client, first check if the driver update is disabled to avoid possible surprises with driver version checks. Proceed to uninstall the old driver and reboot. Install the new driver and reboot. Then try to connect.

If you test performance and stability when torrenting, consider using Linux torrents to avoid possible ISP love letters when the driver unexpectedly run into issues. You can use these direct links, or of course some of your own. For best results let multiple torrents run simultaneously.

Ubuntu (1.4 GB)

Arch Linux (750 MB)

Linux Mint (1.5 GB)

Raspbian (1.2 GB)

Kali Linux (1 GB)

I'm looking forward to reading your reports!

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#42 proconsu1

proconsu1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Just a heads-up: the new (post-XP) version of the TAP driver has been updated on OpenVPN. The old one is still at version 9.9.23 as mentioned above, while the new one is now at 9.21.2. Testing the new one now to see how it runs; will post back if I run into any problems. Here is an updated link where all the current revs of the most common OpenVPN downloads can be found:

https://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html

#43 goduke

goduke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Problem still not solved with tap-windows-9.21.2.exe, reversing back to tap-windows-9.9.2_3.exe .

#44 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

After almost five days of testing I have to say, it's way more stable than 9.21.0 or 9.21.1. The problems start for me when multiple torrents are active. We're speaking of more than 30 simultaneously active torrents here.

On its own, it seems to work just fine, but when you additionally decide to do something on the internet, like playing an online game or just surfing while you listen so some radio station or watch some video stream in the background, things get real tricky. The driver loses connection and only a reset of the adapter helps. At least you don't need to reboot anymore, and I can leave my PC online when gone. A heavy use of the internet line is still a bit too much for the driver. I expect more fixes in the future.

I'd recommend 9.21.2 over the other two versions. Those who torrent much are better advised to stay with 9.9.2_3 for now.

For the next AirVPN client, I hope 9.21.2 will make it into the next build as well as the ability to alternatively install 9.9.2. You can't force something that is not guaranteed to work in a critically acclaimed client such as yours.. can you? ;)

Follow this thread to be more or less up-to-date about user reports and further updates.

• LZ1 likes this

Always remember:

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#45 goduke

goduke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

Running winamp with online audio stream and http://www.speedtest.net shows tap 9.21.X is still crap.
Plus ping goes very high.

#46 catchtheblacksunshine

catchtheblacksunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hmm ... well, I've updated my TAP to 9.21.2 supposedly, but when I look at the Driver Version in Device Manager, it still states that I'm using 9.0.0.21. What HAS changed, however, is the Driver Date went from somewhere in 2014 to 4/21/2016. Any idea if the install was a success and the version stated is just a flook?

"The problem is that when people hear the term "big brother", they immediately think it's scary or bad, but I don't. I think, wow, I love my big brother." ~ Michael Scott

#47 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Hmm ... well, I've updated my TAP to 9.21.2 supposedly, but when I look at the Driver Version in Device Manager, it still states that I'm using 9.0.0.21. What HAS changed, however, is the Driver Date went from somewhere in 2014 to 4/21/2016. Any idea if the install was a success and the version stated is just a flook?

All good. :)

Always remember:

#48 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

There is a solution to this disconnection problem but many would not like it. The problem is caused only by uploads, if you stop the uploads your torrent program won't disconnect the vpn. This might seem like leeching, but it can get you through this problem and then seed more later when it is solved. One way is a program in firefox called torrent tornado that has no upload functionality. It downloads at full speed in firefox and doesn't disconnect. I noticed utorrent might be able to stop uploads but that may affect the download speed. I'm just providing the solution, a lot of people leech anyway so it is up to them to decide what to do about it.

Some people have also reduced the number of upload connections which can work to some degree.

#49 RidersoftheStorm

RidersoftheStorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPellucidar

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

Why is the problem caused by uploads, only???

In the client, the person decides on the ratio to download and upload torrents.

The person decides the connection limits and speed for downloads and uploads.

Are you sure that it is not how persons have their computer system set up?

Or, they have a crappy ISP like mine?

Or, they live in an area where the telephone lines have never been upgraded?

Or, they bought software that has requirements that their computer systems can not operate effectively?

Sometimes if you leech to much, you get banned.

I use a 7 year Acer  currently; before I used a Toshiba Satellite laptop  (10 years old)

Both use WIN 7 and Tap Driver 9.21.0.

I seed over 130 torrents on my clients and the torrent files vary from 800 megs to 64 gigs.

I use an $80 router with my ISP's modem.

#50 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

This upload theory is interesting. I'm going to put that to the test in the next days with TAP 9.21.2. Thank you for the note!

Always remember:

#51 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:41 AM

I think I have solved this problem. I'm a network administrator so I'm used to dealing with weird problems like this. I have been running a torrent program for 12 hours now with no dropouts at all, I downloaded 3 gig of files. This went up to the maximum upload speed with no problems. Before this it would disconnect every few minutes. I went through most of these fixes with pia, I gave up on them as none seemed to work and came here then found the same problem. Here is my theory of what the problem really is, and why some of these fixes help a little.

One clue was how the torrent tornado program didn't cause disconnections so the issue seems to be in uploads only. Another was in a forum where they said the router can grind the traffic to a halt so it stops completely. Also the tap adapter seems to get stuck, it can be freed by disabling it and then reenabling it. It relates to the openvpn driver, a message comes on that it is still running when this happens.

The problem seems to be the tap adapter driver times out and closes, then when a session tries to reconnect it can't find the tap adapter. The openvpn driver still has some data so it doesn't close, it keeps trying to connect to the tap adapter. This might be caused by the router getting congested, there could be no packets going through so the tap adapter closes. Another possibility is some buffers get full, you can increase the size of the buffers in the arirvpn preferences which may help this. My guess is airvpn tries to reconnect to the old session to resend the packets it still has, this is impossible because the TAP adapter has closed that session in a timeout. This is likely because UDP packets would be lost if discarded resulting in data being corrupted, I doubt the program would act different with the UDP and TCP settings. It can't restart the TAP adapter without losing some packets so it gets caught in  a loop.

The reason that changing settings in an antivirus helps is that the congestion might come from packet inspections, it slows down the traffic to the point where the tap adaptor times out and shuts down. Some firewall rules might also do this, it gets hit by so many UDP packets that it gets congested causing the timeout. This would explain why TCP helps because the packets would be resent keeping the TAP adapter working. To check this theory it would be necessary to talk to someone at Microsoft that worked on coding the TAP adapter, not difficult to do.

This is different to the explanation I got from support, that the TAP adapter was still in use so disabling and reenabling it freed it up. Some earlier versions of the TAP adapter might have a different timeout or not shut down, that would explain why they help sometimes. But the problem seems to be in this congestion in the torrent program, the openvpn driver, or the router. 

The solution then is simple, make sure the TAP adapter doesn't shut down. There is a setting that is called media status in the advanced tab. This is set to application controlled, that probably means an application is closing the TAP adapter when the packets get too congested. We don't know what that application is, it might be a Microsoft driver not the openvpn driver. Just set this to always connected. Now the TAP adapter cannot shut down from congestion. Since doing this it has never once dropped out for me with torrenting. I don't see how it can drop out with this setting.

It may not work for you, however I have not been able to find this solution posted anywhere on vpn forums. It makes sense and seems to explain why the fixes work a bit, and it is not dropping out for me any more. My explanation is probably not completely accurate, it would be necessary to talk to someone coding these drivers to get the exact situation.

#52 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

Why is the problem caused by uploads, only???

In the client, the person decides on the ratio to download and upload torrents.

The person decides the connection limits and speed for downloads and uploads.

Are you sure that it is not how persons have their computer system set up?

Or, they have a crappy ISP like mine?

Or, they live in an area where the telephone lines have never been upgraded?

Or, they bought software that has requirements that their computer systems can not operate effectively?

Sometimes if you leech to much, you get banned.

I use a 7 year Acer  currently; before I used a Toshiba Satellite laptop  (10 years old)

Both use WIN 7 and Tap Driver 9.21.0.

I seed over 130 torrents on my clients and the torrent files vary from 800 megs to 64 gigs.

I use an $80 router with my ISP's modem.

You should see my other post which solved the problem for me, the TAP adapter shutting down. However I also tried qbtorrent with uploads at 1kB/s and it didn't drop out. When I increased the speed it dropped out again. The torrent tornado program doesn't drop out for me. So that strongly implies uploads are the issue. Bandwidth control in a torrent program is also blamed, however I think that is causing timeouts as explained in my other post. The higher uploads with many different destinations could be causing congestion leading to a timeout in the TAP adapter. With UDP this is worse as packets cannot be discarded, so if there is a timeout it cannot start a new session as explained. The problem is solved for me as explained in my other post, 14 hours of torrenting now and no disconnections. 

Your phone line might contribute to this congestion as could your modem. Leeching is not recommended, but people need to see it as an option. They might seed more later to make up for it.

#53 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

To check this theory it would be necessary to talk to someone at Microsoft that worked on coding the TAP adapter, not difficult to do.

TAP is written by OpenVPN Tech. You can talk to them via GitHub, I think.

I'll put your second theory to the test today. Thank you very much for your input!

Always remember:

#54 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

I think I've found another solution, to run the torrent program in a virtual box. Install virtualbox, then there are Windows 10 images available for free online, they last for 90 days and then you reinstall them. Alternatively you take an early snapshot and revert back to this over and over. When running a torrent program in this there seems to be no disconnections problems with the standard torrent settings. 

#55 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

Alternatively you take an early snapshot and revert back to this over and over.

.. and when the system time is synced the next minute, you will need to revert again? :D :P

Always remember:

#56 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:30 AM

Alternatively you take an early snapshot and revert back to this over and over.

.. and when the system time is synced the next minute, you will need to revert again? :D :P

You might go back to the snapshot say once a month. You would save the files in a separate shared folder along with the torrents. So when you restart the snapshot from a month before you move the files back into the torrent folder and restart all the torrents. It would only take say 15 minutes and it is back to where it was, then you start seeding and downloading again. It's not easy to understand if you haven't used a virtual machine before. Alternatively you can use the virtual image for 90 days and then set up a new one. Another way is to use a Linux image, install a torrent program on that, and then you never need to go back to a snapshot as the Linux images are free. It's just the Windows images would normally cost money, Microsoft gives them away with this restriction for developers.

It's less hassle than putting up with disconnections, it would take about half an hour to set up a virtual box.

#57 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

Thank you for explaining me what a VM is. ;) I'm talking about the activation process. A snapshot restores the date and time, a sync will void the activation, unless you rearm or don't sync the time at all. :D

Always remember:

#58 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for explaining me what a VM is. ;) I'm talking about the activation process. A snapshot restores the date and time, a sync will void the activation, unless you rearm or don't sync the time at all. :D

It's not a problem, once activated the snapshot stays activated. You can download the Windows 10 one here.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

#59 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

I think I have solved this problem. I'm a network administrator so I'm used to dealing with weird problems like this. I have been running a torrent program for 12 hours now with no dropouts at all, I downloaded 3 gig of files. This went up to the maximum upload speed with no problems. Before this it would disconnect every few minutes. I went through most of these fixes with pia, I gave up on them as none seemed to work and came here then found the same problem. Here is my theory of what the problem really is, and why some of these fixes help a little.

One clue was how the torrent tornado program didn't cause disconnections so the issue seems to be in uploads only. Another was in a forum where they said the router can grind the traffic to a halt so it stops completely. Also the tap adapter seems to get stuck, it can be freed by disabling it and then reenabling it. It relates to the openvpn driver, a message comes on that it is still running when this happens.

The problem seems to be the tap adapter driver times out and closes, then when a session tries to reconnect it can't find the tap adapter. The openvpn driver still has some data so it doesn't close, it keeps trying to connect to the tap adapter. This might be caused by the router getting congested, there could be no packets going through so the tap adapter closes. Another possibility is some buffers get full, you can increase the size of the buffers in the arirvpn preferences which may help this. My guess is airvpn tries to reconnect to the old session to resend the packets it still has, this is impossible because the TAP adapter has closed that session in a timeout. This is likely because UDP packets would be lost if discarded resulting in data being corrupted, I doubt the program would act different with the UDP and TCP settings. It can't restart the TAP adapter without losing some packets so it gets caught in  a loop.

The reason that changing settings in an antivirus helps is that the congestion might come from packet inspections, it slows down the traffic to the point where the tap adaptor times out and shuts down. Some firewall rules might also do this, it gets hit by so many UDP packets that it gets congested causing the timeout. This would explain why TCP helps because the packets would be resent keeping the TAP adapter working. To check this theory it would be necessary to talk to someone at Microsoft that worked on coding the TAP adapter, not difficult to do.

This is different to the explanation I got from support, that the TAP adapter was still in use so disabling and reenabling it freed it up. Some earlier versions of the TAP adapter might have a different timeout or not shut down, that would explain why they help sometimes. But the problem seems to be in this congestion in the torrent program, the openvpn driver, or the router. 

The solution then is simple, make sure the TAP adapter doesn't shut down. There is a setting that is called media status in the advanced tab. This is set to application controlled, that probably means an application is closing the TAP adapter when the packets get too congested. We don't know what that application is, it might be a Microsoft driver not the openvpn driver. Just set this to always connected. Now the TAP adapter cannot shut down from congestion. Since doing this it has never once dropped out for me with torrenting. I don't see how it can drop out with this setting.

It may not work for you, however I have not been able to find this solution posted anywhere on vpn forums. It makes sense and seems to explain why the fixes work a bit, and it is not dropping out for me any more. My explanation is probably not completely accurate, it would be necessary to talk to someone coding these drivers to get the exact situation.

I herewith confirm: This solution works with TAP 9.21.2 on Windows 8.1 - partly!

The driver is stable and works even in heavy use (torrenting, video stream, online gaming at the same time). Just like 9.9. My new personal recommendation would be to upgrade to TAP 9.21.2 and apply this fix.

... aaaand it's gone. Still crashing although not as often as before.

Personal recommendation: If you torrent and use the internet on the torrenting computer at the same time, it's still best to keep 9.9.2. Otherwise, upgrade and apply the fix. :)

Edited by giganerd, 31 July 2016 - 04:19 PM.

Always remember:

#60 Thepowerofatest

Thepowerofatest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

I herewith confirm: This solution works with TAP 9.21.2 on Windows 8.1!

The driver is stable and works even in heavy use (torrenting, video stream, online gaming at the same time). Just like 9.9. My new personal recommendation would be to upgrade to TAP 9.21.2 and apply this fix.

I'm glad it worked for you. I'm assuming the reason the virtual box also works is how its adapter connects to the openVPN adapter. It probably buffers all its internet traffic more efficiently and so the TAP adapter doesn't time out or is closed by an application.