Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.24.171

I asked that question about 2 months ago and the answer from the staff was, there are not currently any plans to start work on one.

@S.O.A.,

Thanks for the, disappointing, info. Was their answer just 'no plans' or 'no plans, because...'? What iOS app would you recommend using, OpenVPN connect?

Wil Dieteren

Sorry for the disappointing news Wil. I believe they currently aren't planning any AirVPN client for the Android side as well. So you're not alone.

It was, "we have no plans at this time." So, maybe sometime in the near future. For now OpenVPN Connect is your best option for iOS. It is also the recommended app by the AirVPN team on the iOS page.

I would also suggest that once you download the config files and set them up in the app, go into the settings on your iPhone/iPad and scroll down to the OpenVPN app, in there you should see a feature called "seamless tunnel", turn this feature on as it will act as a kind of "killswitch." If the VPN connection happens to be disconnected for some reason it will stop network traffic from coming in or out. This will help keep you presence hidden on your mobile device.

I can give a good guess as to why there is no plans for a native iOS app. iOS doesn't support OpenVPN by default at the system level. It only supports PPTP, IPSec and IKEv2. Right now, the only way to get an OpenVPN connection working is to use the OpenVPN app itself. So AirVPN would basically have to fork however the OpenVPN app works around this and build their proprietary stuff on top of it.

It's probably just not worth the effort considering they have a one-touch config generator that works perfect with the OpenVPN app.

@Khariz,

Thanks for the info, and I can respect the choice AirVPN have made, will use the config generator. Still, will keep hoping for a native client.

Wil Dieteren

Is there really a need for a dedicated app when OpenVPN works pretty well as it is?  Its an easy setup / config and works fine, why waste resources reinventing the wheel?

Is there really a need for a dedicated app when OpenVPN works pretty well as it is?  Its an easy setup / config and works fine, why waste resources reinventing the wheel?

Well, I mean right now there CANNOT BE a native app.  That was my point.  AirVPN is OpenVPN only for many reasons.  It's more secure, it's open source, etc.  You cannot create an iOS app that speaks over OpenVPN.  It's literally impossible right now.  There's no API to do that with, as OpenVPN cannot be run at the system level on iOS devices.  Third-party software is the only way to do it.  So it's literally not possible to make a native app right now that can run OpenVPN services.

it's super easy to add profiles to openvpn connect on iOS through the config generator page here.  just browse to the config generator page here with mobile safari.

All,

It is true that it is easy setting up OpenVPN for AirVPN through the config generator page, and I have done so. I also now understand that developing a native app would require serious effort, so I am OK with the solution AirVPN have chosen. It would however have been nice having an app that "just works", no setup needed as for OSX.

Wil Dieteren

Thank you for the seamless setting! I was looking for a kill switch setting.

Sorry for the disappointing news Wil. I believe they currently aren't planning any AirVPN client for the Android side as well. So you're not alone.

It was, "we have no plans at this time." So, maybe sometime in the near future. For now OpenVPN Connect is your best option for iOS. It is also the recommended app by the AirVPN team on the iOS page.

I would also suggest that once you download the config files and set them up in the app, go into the settings on your iPhone/iPad and scroll down to the OpenVPN app, in there you should see a feature called "seamless tunnel", turn this feature on as it will act as a kind of "killswitch." If the VPN connection happens to be disconnected for some reason it will stop network traffic from coming in or out. This will help keep you presence hidden on your mobile device.

What I'm missing in the OpenVPN app in iOS is an automatic reconnect to same server or another server config file I imported cause the connection drops frequently, and this sucks big time.

Anyone have any solution to this? Any other optimal OpenVPN settings for iOS beside seamless tunnel?

Thanks.