Photo

Does "Network Lock" conflict with Comodo Firewall? And, How to Get uTorrent running on AirVPN.

network lock comodo firewall utorrent windows firewall

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 j0pad0pa

j0pad0pa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

I'm running AirVPN v.2.10.3 on a Windows 7 laptop with NOD32 antivirus (just downgraded from NOD32 internet security so that I can install the Comodo Firewall).  I am messing around with these settings because the old uTorrent (v. 1.8.2; there is a reason for this) stopped downloading for some reason, and I couldn't figure it out in the NOD32 firewall settings.

I am writing this post because I am confused about how the AirVPN "Network Lock" feature works with the Windows Firewall (especially since I will be using the Comodo setup here).

Is there a conflict of some sort or problem with using Comodo Firewall along with the "Network Lock" feature?  Or do they not work together?

Also, if there are specific instructions on how to get uTorrent working on AirVPN (still doesn't work), I'm still at a loss.

Thanks.

JP

#2 5YmkoLQZ

5YmkoLQZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

If you have comodo firewall installed you need to disable windows firewall so network lock will not work and just disable it from airvpn program. About utorrent not working i can't tell you cause i use qbittorrent without any other change.

#3 me.moo@posteo.me

me.moo@posteo.me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

I've used Comodo Firewall in safe mode with network lock on without any problems for ages. I also use Bittorrent without modifications with no problems either. Latest versions of everything, Win 7.

#4 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 6761 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

I've used Comodo Firewall in safe mode with network lock on without any problems for ages. I also use Bittorrent without modifications with no problems either. Latest versions of everything, Win 7.

That's very risky. You have two programs with the same privileges competing to modify the kernel or OS packets filtering tables at the same time.

In general you must never run two firewalls simultaneously (that's true for any system, not only Windows).

Kind regards

#5 encrypted

encrypted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

That's very risky. You have two programs with the same privileges competing to modify the kernel or OS packets filtering tables at the same time.

In general you must never run two firewalls simultaneously (that's true for any system, not only Windows).

Kind regards

Thanks. Maybe this fact should be emphasized somewhere, maybe even in the GUI itself. Or Eddie could detect "competing" firewall and notify the user.

#6 me.moo@posteo.me

me.moo@posteo.me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:15 PM

Kind regards

OK, thanks. I take it then that the firewall rules set up in Windows Firewall with network lock on are adequate and that the default rules are not required while connected through the vpn tunnel.

#7 j0pad0pa

j0pad0pa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:54 AM

Wait a sec.  1) If I am running Comodo Firewall, I should not have "network lock" activated?  And, 2) I should also disable the Windows Firewall? 

How would I disable the Windows Firewall in Win7?

#8 me.moo@posteo.me

me.moo@posteo.me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Wait a sec.  1) If I am running Comodo Firewall, I should not have "network lock" activated?  And, 2) I should also disable the Windows Firewall? 

How would I disable the Windows Firewall in Win7?

Network Lock uses Windows Firewall, therefore:

1) Correct

2) No

Windows Firelwall is easily switch off from within its own GUI.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:49 AM

Comodo Firewall normally switches the Windows firewall off during the installation but it can and has switched itself back on again during certain "second Tuesday" updates. To be sure just enter "services.msc" without the italics in the search window and scroll down to the Windows Firewall entry and disable it.

#10 j0pad0pa

j0pad0pa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

It has been almost two years since I started this thread.  Still using Comodo Firewall with the settings here, no "Network Lock" (red circle), and Windows Firewall set to 'disabled' in the services.msc.

Have we advanced anywhere with the firewall settings?  Are people still using Comodo Firewall?

Or has something newer / better / more advanced come out which AirVPN users are now using?

#11 LZ1

LZ1

It's nice to be nice to nice people

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

It has been almost two years since I started this thread.  Still using Comodo Firewall with the settings here, no "Network Lock" (red circle), and Windows Firewall set to 'disabled' in the services.msc.

Have we advanced anywhere with the firewall settings?  Are people still using Comodo Firewall?

Or has something newer / better / more advanced come out which AirVPN users are now using?

Hello!

People are still using Comodo for sure. But Eddie recently introduced the usage of Windows Filtering Platform - WFP. As an alternative to just using Windows Firewall. Thus (hopefully) allowing for greater compatibility with 3rd party firewall/security software, exactly like Comodo.

Open This Spoiler If: A Website Is Blocked, You Want To Help AirVPN, Find The Beta/Experimental Client Or You're A New User Wanting Help/Information

Spoiler

Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me if you want me to index it in my new user guide, so that the community can find it more easily.

Tired of Windows? Why Linux Is Better.

#12 crazyjoe

crazyjoe

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

No problems with Windows Firewall Control. Got to buy pro for notifications though.