Not connected, Your IP: 18.219.236.62
Sign in to follow this  
McLoEa

DNS leak on Fedroa

I moved to Fedora,installed AirVPN and yesterday it was working fine,today and I have a DNS leak.

DNS is set to auto in preferences,any thing else I should look at?

Ok,so I only have the DNS leak if I have network lock activated,is this unusual or is there a  known fix please?

Disabling ipv6 didn't help.

Thanks Harold,looks like that did it.

I did try both those linux only settings before but it appears I had to close and re start the client for them to take effect.

I hope that doesn't mean my ISP's DNS has just been renamed and is still there.

I am on a 64-bit system.

have you check the ipv6 with ifconfig? if inet6 is there, then ipv6 is not disable completely

you may also check in Connection Editor/Change or Modify (I'm not on English system) and disable ipv6 for the connection you are using

on my system is working well even after reboot...

I disabled the IPv6 and no return.

I re-booted again yesterday and the problem disappeared and so far today it's ok too.

The install is only a few days old and I am new to linux so I have a few things to learn.

I can't seem to shake off this issue.

Initial log on to the Eddie client,activate network lock,connect to a recommended server then run the IP leak tool and all is good.

If the Eddie client has to reconnect to another server for any reason then my ISP's DNS become visible when I run IP leak again and the only way to remove the ISP's DNS is not to just re-start the Eddie client but to re-start the machine.

Sounds like dhcp is pulling the dns from your router between reconnects, or its defaulting to a search param that's in the resolv.conf

Whats in your resolv.conf?

If you see something like:

search 0.0.0.0

Try deleting that line.

If dhcp isn't needed you could disable it, set it all to static. Then manually modify the resolv.conf.

I'm unsure why the client wouldn't reapply the renaming option, could be a bug of some sort with fedora.

Thanks,I'll check that  out.

How would I go about checking that file?

Open a terminal, sudo or login as root

Then type:

nano /etc/resolv.conf

Navigate with your arrow keys etc.

Delete a line with Control + k

Or navigate to the line and just use backspace.

Save the file with Control + o  then hit enter.

Exit the nano editor with Control + x

If you delete the wrong thing you can always just exit the editor without saving, then open it again. Backing it up first is a good idea though. See below.

Backup first:

Before changing anything in there you may want to either back up the data in that file or copy the file itself somewhere.

For copy via terminal:

cp /etc/resolv.conf /home/resolv-bu.conf

To restore from the copied file via terminal:

cp /home/resolv-bu.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Also note, if dhcp is enabled its possible that file will be overwritten. I haven't used fedora in a long time and tbh I don't know what its using for its networking setup these days.

There's also a few desktop environments that have their own built in networking gui/system. For the most part they all do the same thing, however some will try and reset the network settings if it detects a change or loss of connection. It can be annoying as hell.

So If you only use the pc/laptop while on air in one location then setting the networking on the device to static is really the way to go. If dhcp is a requirement you may wanna figure out whats going on with the air client and why the renaming dns option isn't working for you. Could also ask the staff for help.

Many thanks rickjames,

this is what is returned if I run that command under su privileges,

# Automatically generated by AirVPN client v2.10.3 | https://airvpn.org . Any manual change will be o$

nameserver 10.5.0.1

and that's it.

I have no idea why but the issue hasn't recurred for over a week now,if that has something to do with the fact it's been on 24/7 for that time or not I don't know.