Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.172.115
Sign in to follow this  
rreginaldd

AirVpn using build-in VPN-function Windows 10

Hi all,

Since upgrading to Windows 10 there is a build-in feature to use a VPN.

Had any of you had any luck configuring it?

I would like to use the VPN when it's needed and just browse on my normal connection when it's turned off. The browsing speeds were horrible on windows 7 and I had to turn it off everytime and changing the dns to be able to enjoy my 100mbit browsing experience and not a 33k6.

Any help/input is appreciated!

Don't let the Windows 10 buzz confuse you.

While it's probably semi known what the "Windows 10 VPN" is supposed to do, no one had published a comperehensive research report about

what it actually does, and how.

So for now, my suggestion would be "Avoid with caution". Whenever such report will be ready, you can read it and then "Proceed with caution".

In any case, this does not include the OpenVPN protocol in any form, especially not the secure implementation that is used on AirVPN.

Microsoft included this for one single reason (aside the conspiracy theories):

The more administrators will be familiar with this kind of setup, the more dependant they will be on the Microsoft eco-system.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

AirVPN uses the OpenVPN protocol which the built-in VPN function does not support, and therefore cannot be used. It is recommended you use the 'Eddie' client unless you have a reason not to, in which you use a raw OpenVPN connection.

I have a Lenovo T530 and I just did a fresh install of 9926 (Win 10) and for some reason when creating a VPN the only Provider listed in VPN is Microsoft but i want ibvpn client. I'm looking to add Checkpoint, and it was there before, but I don't see it. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried settings in the driver itself, and also the wireless settings. I even tried it using the ethernet port to see if it wasn't some strange wifi thing. Is it possible it's a graphics related issue? It has an NVidia card. I'm at a loss. Thanks!