Photo

Can only connect to the internet (browser) through AirVPN

Best Answer Staff, 30 July 2015 - 10:32 PM

Hello!

Usually this problem arises in Windows when the Air client Eddie is not shut down properly.

While Eddie is NOT running, please check DNS settings and reset firewall rules. These operations will probably fix the problem.

How to restore Windows Firewall settings in Windows 7 (procedure is almost identical in other Windows versions):
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/restore-windows-firewall-defaults

How to change DNS:
https://www.opennicproject.org/configure-your-dns/how-to-change-dns-servers-in-windows-7

About which DNS servers to pick, we would recommend OpenNIC (see https://www.opennicproject.org ) but of course you can select any public DNS you prefer.

Always make sure to shut the Air client down properly, from its own menu. Never kill Eddie without grace, unless that's absolutely unavoidable.

Kind regards Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 altae

altae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Well that would all be nice if I didn't use Linux. Unfortunately I do use Linux (Fedora 25 KDE) so all the Windows Firewall and DNS settings talk does not help me at all. And why does it only concern the German servers? All others work flawlessly.

#42 bsabiston

bsabiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

It was my understanding that it doesn't have anything to do with the server you're connected to.  It's the fact that Eddie changes the DNS settings and then changes them back when it disconnects.  If Eddie quits unexpectedly, like you shut down without quitting Eddie,  then the DNS servers are not switched back to their proper settings.

#43 altae

altae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Eddie is always shut down properly. And it only concerns the German servers. In Eddie, the servers are ordered according to their latency. When the German servers are on top Eddie keeps trying to connect to no avail until it finally reaches the first non German server in the list, then it successfully connects to that server. What's more if I use the latest beta of Eddie (2.12.3) this issue does not occur. There must be something wrong here.

#44 bsabiston

bsabiston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

That sounds like a different problem than the one in this thread.  

#45 altae

altae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

Yep, I just realized I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. ;)

#46 jwblue

jwblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

After finishing my VPN session what exactly do I do to undo the changes Network Lock makes?  

Can I just log out of Eddie or does the Eddie interface need to close?

The reason I ask is that I can not close the Eddie interface.  If I do I need to reboot in order to log into the VPN again.  I would rather not do that and just have Eddie open in the background.

#47 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7796 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

After finishing my VPN session what exactly do I do to undo the changes Network Lock makes?  The reason I ask is that I can not close the Eddie interface.  If I do I need to reboot in order to log into the VPN again.  I would rather not do that and just have Eddie open in the background.

Hello!

Please click "Deactivate Network Lock" button in the main Eddie window.

Kind regards

#48 spannernick1

spannernick1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

I kept having this problem,didn't realise I had to disconnect Eddie first before I shut down the PC so in the morning I would turn it on and have no internet connection,what I did was,if you shut down and forget to disconnect Eddie,its ok,when you turn on your PC reconnect to Eddie then disconnect and then Eddie sorts out the DNS problem for you,and you can get the internet without being connected to AirVPN Eddie.Like I am now.

#49 skittles68

skittles68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

I've had this problem for years and did nothing - I'm extremely resistant to change. 

Finally took the advise and reset windows7 firewall to  default settings.  Machine crashed - most definitely due to other malware corruptions that I also have not fixed

BUT upon reboot it has resolved my problem without having to fiddle with the DNS (which is good because the link is broken)

Thanks very much.