Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.32.31

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an entirely new topic or part of something else but here goes. For the last week or so whenever I use IP/DNS Detect site the DNS Address detection window never resolves and the moving dots/line is all I get (see attached). Can anyone explain this or help me alter this behaviour?

Regards

Did you try another server?

Hi zhang888,

Yes I have tried other quite a few different servers with the same result. I randomly choose a server each time I log into the client but this problem has only recently happened.

Regards

What I meant is did you try it with different servers and different countries.

There is some UDP issue with some of the new servers that I haven't found time to investigate yet, but it affects DNS queries as well obviously (udp/53).

Personally I use dnscrypt-proxy in TCP mode so everything works fine on my end, and it makes things a little more secure with a small speed trade-off.

No problems on ipleak with that.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I get this too sometimes but it normally resolves if I leave it long enough - the flashing dashes get progressively narrower until it finishes and it always comes up with the same IP as the exit; so no leak.

@zhaang888 - where did dnscrypt.org go to?

What I meant is did you try it with different servers and different countries.

There is some UDP issue with some of the new servers that I haven't found time to investigate yet, but it affects DNS queries as well obviously (udp/53).

Personally I use dnscrypt-proxy in TCP mode so everything works fine on my end, and it makes things a little more secure with a small speed trade-off.

No problems on ipleak with that.

Hi,

All servers I tried were in the Netherlands. I will try different countries and see what happens. My understanding of VPN's is very basic - I'm not sure what dnscrypt-proxy in TCP mode is, so I'm hoping these UDP issues get sorted out soon. Am I being too paranoid about DNS leaks? - if I use the Torrent Address Detection that comes up as identical to the Your IP Address numbers even if the DNS Address Detection is still flashing.

@MeAndroid - I leave it for several minutes but it still continues to flash. How long does it take to resolve for you?

Regards

@zhang888 - I did try a different server in a different country as you suggested and all is as it should be (see capture below).

I really hope that this UDP issue with the Netherlands servers is sorted soon - I prefer to use them as there is a wide range of servers and they aren't subject to the sort of scrutiny that US/UK servers are.

Am I being too paranoid as mentioned in my last post?

Regards

MeAndroid - I leave it for several minutes but it still continues to flash. How long does it take to resolve for you?

Regards

It can be over five mins but more usually anything up to a minute (I use NL servers too mainly).

- I prefer to use them as there is a wide range of servers and they aren't subject to the sort of scrutiny that US/UK servers are.

Am I being too paranoid as mentioned in my last post?

It makes sense to use them I would say

Same issue here, on the Carinae server in the UK. I've also found that recently, whenever a domain resolve is invoked, it can hang my entire connection for a few seconds, things will disconnect, pages won't load, and AirVPN's bandwidth meter will show 0B/s or about 800B/s highest.

I deduced this occured when a domain resolve is invoked as if I am doing something such as playing a game, it never happens, but when I am browsing - especially new websites (uncached domain IPs) - it happens a lot.

seems to be with the new NL servers (have not tested the old but all the new) @zhang888 dnscrypt-proxy in TCP is a good fix, if u got a crappy internet connection i would use a diff server location

Same issue here, on the Carinae server in the UK. I've also found that recently, whenever a domain resolve is invoked, it can hang my entire connection for a few seconds, things will disconnect, pages won't load, and AirVPN's bandwidth meter will show 0B/s or about 800B/s highest.

I deduced this occured when a domain resolve is invoked as if I am doing something such as playing a game, it never happens, but when I am browsing - especially new websites (uncached domain IPs) - it happens a lot.

i can not speak for the Carinae server but i game a lot from us,swiss,canada and old NL servers with out any issues.

seems to be with the new NL servers (have not tested the old but all the new) @zhang888 dnscrypt-proxy in TCP is a good fix, if u got a crappy internet connection i would use a diff server location

Hi,

I have tried one of the older Netherlands servers (Anser) and the DNS Address Detection is as it should be. My expertise is limited and I am unable to understand the dnscrypt-proxy in TCP. How can we bring this to the attention of the administrators so that Air can sort this problem without us resorting to a work-aroud fix - especially if you are (like me) a newbie and are not sure of how to 'fix' this problem, or not aware of the possible consequences of applying a fix.

Regards

I don't see ipleak not being able to always resolve my DNS ip address as being an AirVPN problem. DNS lookups within the VPN tunnel work fine; why is any fix required?

The DNS address when shown is the same as the VPN exit IP address, which is as expected and isn't an issue.

I don't see ipleak not being able to always resolve my DNS ip address as being an AirVPN problem. DNS lookups within the VPN tunnel work fine; why is any fix required?

The DNS address when shown is the same as the VPN exit IP address, which is as expected and isn't an issue.

every new NL server i have tested is using a amazon dns witch is norm for the offload. but it seems that there only using the amazon servers witch i just rather not do. there is some weird stuff going on with udp 53 though, idk if this is y there using the offload. but ya calling dnscrypt a fix was not intended just a cool idea for the tinfoil hat kind and a work around for the udp sheet sorry for implying it was a fix