Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.138.253
VeryPrivateNam

AirVPN client behind pfSense

So I've been using the AirVPN client for quite some time with no issues.  During that time I was behind a residential router.  Now I'm behind a pfSense device and the AirVPN client can no longer connect to servers.  When it attempts to Check DNS, it disconnects and then retries the whole connection process over.  I've tried disabling the "check if tunnel effectively works" option but this time it goes straight to disconnect.  I'm assuming that somehow my pfSense device is blocking the program.  I tried port forwarding a port that I configured through the client, but that doesn't help.  So I don't know what to do.

I know people here recommend me follow that pfsense guide and it is very informative.  However the user who wrote that guide puts the VPN on its own dedicated network port and the way I have my setup configured, I cannot do that.  I cannot get a physical separated wire just for AirVPN between the PC and the pfSense device.  So if there's a way that guide can be modified for an existing device on the LAN network then I'm all for it.  Otherwise I'm content with using the AirVPN client.  I just need to know how to fix this.

ya your logs will be key , with a lil more info i am shure we can help ya i used pfsense for some time (have moved to openbsd)

edit:

if u are using the default pfsense settings send me a pm i can walk u through the proper setup default settings are horrid

Sorry for the delay in replying...work weekdays and pretty much had no time to post.  I would love to get some help from you guys on how to get the one computer on my LAN to work with AirVPN.  I'm sure others could benefit too.

Sorry for the delay in replying...work weekdays and pretty much had no time to post.  I would love to get some help from you guys on how to get the one computer on my LAN to work with AirVPN.  I'm sure others could benefit too.

As mentioned - start by checking the logs in your pfsense. If the firewall is blocking something the blocks will/should show up there.

As mentioned - start by checking the logs in your pfsense. If the firewall is blocking something the blocks will/should show up there.

Ok, I will.  Last time I checked there was nothing being blocked but I'll check again to be sure.  Right now I can't because the fan on my power supply died.  Once I get the replacement fan in I'll do the check, which will be by next weekend.

BTW, I'll be switching from U-verse to Comcast by then, so that might have an effect on things.

Just read your first post again.  There's no need to forward ports for outbound connections.

Don't quote me on this but I think pfsense blocks by default on the firewall. So you'll most likely need to make rules for the lan/wan. Or better yet use the float rules section + the quick option.

I'm a bit rusty with pfsense as I don't use it much anymore. But it should easily do what you need.

So I've been using the AirVPN client for quite some time with no issues.  During that time I was behind a residential router.  Now I'm behind a pfSense device and the AirVPN client can no longer connect to servers.  When it attempts to Check DNS, it disconnects and then retries the whole connection process over.  I've tried disabling the "check if tunnel effectively works" option but this time it goes straight to disconnect.  I'm assuming that somehow my pfSense device is blocking the program.  I tried port forwarding a port that I configured through the client, but that doesn't help.  So I don't know what to do.

I know people here recommend me follow that pfsense guide and it is very informative.  However the user who wrote that guide puts the VPN on its own dedicated network port and the way I have my setup configured, I cannot do that.  I cannot get a physical separated wire just for AirVPN between the PC and the pfSense device.  So if there's a way that guide can be modified for an existing device on the LAN network then I'm all for it.  Otherwise I'm content with using the AirVPN client.  I just need to know how to fix this.

I am currently running pfsense, and I haven't had any known problems.  The issue you are mentioning reminds me when I use a port blocker on the computer.  I have to disable that first, and then re-enable it to allow airvpn to connect. Like the other guys say, check logs, they will tell you everything you need to know.  (It helped me fix my issue with my own vpn when it wouldn't connect.)   Pfsense might just simply be blocking that connection when it is making the request.

Thanks for your replies everyone.  Though I still haven't gotten the computer running yet.  Seems like the fan issue was a precursor to the power supply actually failing.  So here I am waiting for a new power supply.  Should've just bought a new one from the start.  So by next weekend I'll have the computer up and running for sure and will post any logs that seem like they are blocking the VPN client.

FYI, I don't use a port blocker or any special software on the Ubuntu machine.  It's just a fresh install with AirVPN client installed, that's it.  No other modifications, no other software or apps installed.  Though my experience with pFSense matches what rickjames said: It blocks pretty much everything by default.  I wonder if Mr. Sweets54 is using UPNP enabled.  I want it to work by forwarding the correct ports or use some configuration where one IP/port can be used for the Ubuntu PC and avoid relying on UPNP.

I want it to work by forwarding the correct ports or use some configuration where one IP/port can be used for the Ubuntu PC and avoid relying on UPNP.

Shouldn't need to forward anything locally at all.   Just setup a forwarded port via the air client area then use that port in the app that needs the forwarded port.

The pfsense machine will just act as a perimeter firewall passing the tunnel through it.

Since all traffic is inside the tunnel no port forwarding on the pfsense box should be needed.

Need help with using a different airvpn server in pfsense.

I followed pfsense_fan's guide and everything works perfectly.  I set up to CA, Certs, and OpenVPN client based on the config I downloaded from airvpn for All Servers.

Now I'm trying to use the United Statates server.

I downloaded the config file, created a new cert in pfsense, and created a new OpenVPN client.  I also disabled the All Servers OpenVPN client in pfsense.

When I look in the Client Area on AirVPN website it appears the OpenVPN client with the United States server is connected.

However, I get no internet access from my linux desktop on the AirVPN_LAN interface.

In pfsense firewall log it shows my linux desktop is being blocked from accessing 10.4.0.1.  I do have the DNS block leaks rule on that interface to block anything other than 10.4.0.1 but it worked fine when I was connected through All Servers.

I compared both OpenVPN clients for All Server and United Server and everything is the same (except for the TLS authentication stuff copied from the US ovpn file).

I'm really stuck as to why it's blocking 10.4.0.1 when I'm connected to US server but works perfectly when connected to All Servers.