Not connected, Your IP: 3.15.156.140
AN4387CW

Looking up server IP's show them in different country

Hi,

I've noticed recently when looking up a VPN server's IP (with IPleak.net or other websites) that it's showing the server as being in a different country than what is showing in Eddie,

E.g. Chara (Netherlands) is showing Global Layer B.V. - AirVPN Server (Exit) but in the United Kingdom.

How is this? Has something changed? It wasn't like this before?

Thanks

What happened here is probably a small mistake of Maxmind's Staff.

The netname is GL-AIRVPN and probably they took it by mistake as GB-AIRVPN, which would

be a reasonable netname for United Kingdom infrastructure.

inetnum:        109.232.227.128 - 109.232.227.255
netname:        GL-AIRVPN
descr:          AirVPN.org IP Space
descr:          ****************************************************
descr:          Alblasserdam datacenter
descr:          AirVPN IP Space
descr:          NL, Europe
descr:          ****************************************************
admin-c:        PB18435-RIPE
tech-c:         PB18435-RIPE
remarks:        INFRA-AW
mnt-by:         GLOBALLAYER
created:        2015-03-20T20:57:51Z
last-modified:  2015-03-20T20:57:51Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered

A similar issue already occured in the past, and it was fixed quickly because of

a prompt resolution between Air and the datacenter, which was also a LIR responsible

for managing it's own IP space in the RIPE database.

The full topic is here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/12174-nihal-server-after-2-months-still-portuguese-instead-of-spanish/

Dear Staff, could you please ask Global Layer to fix the netname to NL-AIRVPN instead?

Once it's done it should solve the issue in a matter of weeks.

Also, as for entire Global Layer's servers, they are colocated in the DataPlace facility in Alblasserdam,

not Amsterdam. That is actually a suburb of Rotterdam. You might want to change it on ipleak.net and others.

https://www.ispam.nl/archives/47045/kijkje-in-het-datacenter-bij-dataplace-alblasserdam/

Regards.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Dear Staff, could you please ask Global Layer to fix the netname to NL-AIRVPN instead?

Once it's done it should solve the issue in a matter of weeks.

Hello,

now netname is NL-AIR. Country remains NL. Let's see what happens: if the problem will be fixed, then it's strange, because the country field was (and is) set to NL anyway. Is it possible that MaxMind ignores totally the country field, even when there is no valid country code in netname?

Kind regards

Yes, this was most probably a human mistake - every NETNAME changes are scraped from RIPE once in a while and then an employee has to correct the values, it's a totally manual process.

The "country" can be ignored in many cases, this is not the only thing that seem to affect Maxmind, however in case of other missing information in the RIR they will rely on this field eventually.

Now I see a kind of a different issue, they don't like public VPNs either, and that DESCR is not something I would recommend for SWIP info.

This is not only for Maxmind, but for other services as well - the task of determining whether a specific IP space belongs to a VPN company or not is trivial.

That's why I expect future blocks (IRC servers to start with).

Regards

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Update:

Looks like MaxMind fixed this issue, and now entire 109.232.227.0/24  (109.232.227.1-109.232.227.255)

is correctly geo-located to Alblasserdam, The Netherlands.

Other GeoIP providers seems were not affected by this temporary error.

You can check it on:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

I am connected to an NL server currently, 213.152.162.108 via openvpn but when I browse to https://ipleak.net/ I am shown that my exit nodes are all UK based, "United Kingdom Global Layer B.V. - AirVPN Server (Exit)." 

If I browse to https://airvpn.org/client/ I see that I am indeed on the netherlands server called "Jabbah" so something is wrong with the ipleak info, yes?

From the ipleak page under, "IP details" I get:

Reverse Lookup:
TOR Exit Node:  No No
AirVPN Exit Node:   Yes Yes
Net Speed:  Unknown
Type:   AirVPN Server (Exit)
ISP:  Global Layer B.V.
Organization:   Global Layer B.V.
ASN:  AS57172 Global Layer B.V.
Time Zone:  Europe/London
Latitude & Longitude:   51.5000 , -0.1300

Hi mblue,

Maxmind distributes it's database as a monthly archive file, both to paid and free subscribers.

So you will have to wait until the first week of July for them to put this small change in the database, and then wait for Air

to update their local database on ipleak.net.

Their online database is already updated - and I posted the link above to verify it.

Usually the local DB propogation takes time for all online services.

Luckily, the mistake occured somewhere between March and May 2015, means that whoever uses an older Maxmind DB

will still see all 213.152.162.0/24 netrange correctly geolocated to NL.

@zhang888

Hi,

ipleak.net queries the updated MaxMind database in real time. Some results are cached but we refresh the cache often, and when necessary. MaxMind is still wrong at the moment of this writing with some IP addresses such as 213.152.162.104

Kind regards

My bad, I was referring to the issue with the 109.232.227.0/24 that I told you to originally fix to NL-AIRVPN.

That one seem to be fully updated.

I saw that you updated 213.152.162.128/25 yesterday. So now we will have to wait a few weeks for this as well.

Update:

Seems that all 213.152.162.0/24 range is correctly geo-located to Alblasserdam,NL by MaxMind.

As usual you can check it on:

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

I believe that now all Air NL servers are correctly geo-located.

It seems the 215.xxx.xxx.xxx range is now showing as UK and not NL

215.0.0.0/8 is the U.S. Department of Defence, did you mean 213?

I can see now that MaxMind again "changed their mind" regarding this range.

It was correctly geolocated for about 2 weeks. At least the mystery regarding their company name is now clear for me.

Let's wait a few more weeks and see, probably they just merged the wrong update to the monthly update that comes every first week

of every month.

It seems the 215.xxx.xxx.xxx range is now showing as UK and not NL

If you meant 213 instead of 215, then, actually, the 213.0.0.0/8 range belongs to RIPE NCC (RIR for Europe), so IPs from multiple European countries are in this range.