#21 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

Okay, looks like we really have a need for this guide...

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#22 nonchiedercilaparola

nonchiedercilaparola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

hi, i have a router-modem-ap fritzbox 3490. I try PureVPN service but it isn't compatible with my router. On flashrouter they told me that with fritzbox vpnservice aren't possible and that the only thing to do is to manage vpn connection with a flashrouter under my fritzbox: internet - fritzbox - flashrouter - mydevices. Then some user advice me about this discussion and of the possibility to use openvpn with my fritzbox.

my firtzbox firmeware are 6.30 so i can't use openvpn. is it right?

#23 fuori

fuori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

hi, i have a router-modem-ap fritzbox 3490. I try PureVPN service but it isn't compatible with my router. On flashrouter they told me that with fritzbox vpnservice aren't possible and that the only thing to do is to manage vpn connection with a flashrouter under my fritzbox: internet - fritzbox - flashrouter - mydevices. Then some user advice me about this discussion and of the possibility to use openvpn with my fritzbox.

my firtzbox firmeware are 6.30 so i can't use openvpn. is it right?

I would assume you might run into trouble with your box seeing as it's a fairly new model and these are the ones that are causing trouble with the iptables module. Perhaps giganerd can elaborate on this.

Do consider, though, that given the weak processing power of your fritzbox you will be experiencing subpar speeds when using OpenVPN.

#24 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Do consider, though, that given the weak processing power of your fritzbox you will be experiencing subpar speeds when using OpenVPN.

Always know this. For example, if you've got a 16/1 MBit line (this combination is often in Germany), you might not be able to reach those speeds, simply because the CPU is running at 100%. This is due to AES encryption and decryption of your traffic which is a feature of OpenVPN. :)

I would assume you might run into trouble with your box seeing as it's a fairly new model and these are the ones that are causing trouble with the iptables module. Perhaps giganerd can elaborate on this.

Correct. Since Fritz!OS 5 nothing's changed. As I wrote a few days earlier, a tutorial is on its way to force menuconfig to include the conntrack module. Current working solution is, as PureVPN noted, an OpenVPN-enabled device behind your Fritz!Box to which your devices connect. Same problem as written above, though :D

Always remember:

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#25 nonchiedercilaparola

nonchiedercilaparola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

"Do consider, though, that given the weak processing power of your fritzbox you will be experiencing subpar speeds when using OpenVPN."

so is't not advisable to use a router with vpn server due to its "weak processing power"? this is true with all protocol?

is it possible this connection:

1) local devices --- fritzbox --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, as a client) -- internet -- server vpn serivce -->

and 

2) outside devices --- internet --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, as a vpn server) -- fritzbox --- local devices (if is it possible this configuration, i have problem due weak processiong power of flashrouter?)

#26 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

this is true with all protocol?

Protocols don't matter, the high CPU usage is due to AES encryption and decryption (E/D) which, with AirVPN, is a fixed variable you cannot change.

1) local devices --- fritzbox --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, as a client) -- internet -- server vpn serivce -->

Textual version would be: Your devices (PC, smartphone) connect to the Fritz!Box, which is connected to a DD-WRT-enabled router. This router connects to AirVPN.

The problem here is the same as with Fritz!Box: Hardware limitations.

outside devices --- internet --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, as a vpn server) -- fritzbox --- local devices

Sorry, but I don't understand the part saying "as a VPN server". Your DD-WRT box is not a server.

Always remember:

#27 Khariz

Khariz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

Giga,

Just a technicality:  But protocol CAN matter.  Microsoft's baked-in flavor of PPTP has never supported encryption above the 128bit level.  So that limiting factor would, for example, keep CPU usage down in a way that is beyond the direct control of the end-user.

#28 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

this is true with all pro  tocol?

Giga,

Just a technicality:  But protocol CAN matter.  Microsoft's baked-in flavor of PPTP has never supported encryption above the 128bit level.  So that limiting factor would, for example, keep CPU usage down in a way that is beyond the direct control of the end-user.

I meant TCP and UDP.. and I'm pretty sure Mr. nonchiedercilaparola was talking about it as well. :D Also, AirVPN does not support PPTP. ;)

Always remember:

#29 Khariz

Khariz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:40 AM

I see what you mean. Sorry, took the post totally out of context.

#30 nonchiedercilaparola

nonchiedercilaparola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

outside devices (client vpn) --- internet --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, client vpn) -- fritzbox --- local devices

if is it impossible to installa a vpn server into a router, is it only possible a client to client connection?

#31 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

outside devices (client vpn) --- internet --- flashrouter (dd-wrt compatiblility, client vpn) -- fritzbox --- local devices

if is it impossible to installa a vpn server into a router, is it only possible a client to client connection?

If you want to connect devices you take with you when you are not home to the OpenVPN-enabled router to use its connection to AirVPN, why don't you directly connect them with AirVPN? If that's not what you meant, you might want to open up a new thread to not bloat up this one. This one is dedicated to setting up OpenVPN on a Fritz!Box router and use it as a client to connect to AirVPN. No more. :)

Always remember:

#32 nonchiedercilaparola

nonchiedercilaparola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

If you want to connect devices you take with you when you are not home to the OpenVPN-enabled router to use its connection to AirVPN, why don't you directly connect them with AirVPN? If that's not what you meant, you might want to open up a new thread to not bloat up this one. This one is dedicated to setting up OpenVPN on a Fritz!Box router and use it as a client to connect to AirVPN. No more. :)

Thank for the reply! now i have tu use vodafone revolution router. my fritzbox is on my lan but not as principal router. So your suggestion is way that i have to try (i opened onther post to use airvpn to wake up my osx)