Not connected, Your IP: 18.222.67.251
MilosKirchoff

Linux Mint User - No VPN's appear to work on Linux

Hi I just installed Linux Mint and TorGuard won't work on it, so I decided to install AirVPN instead but after trying to connect it mistakenly thinks I've entered the wrong login/password information when I quite clearly haven't (otherwise I wouldn't be able to login to this site). I bought the 2 day subscription to test, but as this seems to be the 2nd VPN that doesn't work on Linux I'll probably be looking for another one unless I can get some support on this. I've just installed Mint and it seems difficult to believe that both VPN's won't work so maybe there is something I haven't done, is there any additional software I need to install before running the VPN? I'm a bit of a Linux newb so would appreciate help - And all the FAQ's and guidelines I've read are way too technical for me. I don't know about port forwarding and firewall rules and all that On Windows I just installed it and it ran, how do I get that on Linux?

Posted ... (edited)

Hi, welcome on board. I'm not staff but I'll try to help you as I've run Linux for over a decade now. If you get stuck or want proper support either drop a support ticket (in the client area) or wait for staff to see this thread. Luckily with AirVPN staff are on the ball and quick to help so don't worry. 

Please give a little more info. It sounds like you're missing something at your end. If you can answer the following it'll help me help you faster/easier. Thanks.

1) Which version of Mint are you running? 17.1 Rebecca? LMDE or LMDE2 (Debian Edition, if you don't know that you're probably not running it)?

2) Which desktop environment are you running? Likely Cinnamon or Mate.

3) What steps did you take to configure the connection to AirVPN and try to connect? Please be as specific as possible and give me step by step from the beginning.

4) Where and how did you get your ovpn file to connect to the service? Did you ensure you selected the advanced option in the config generator to separate the keys from the ovpn file?

All that aside, I think you probably just didn't get the required network components installed. On Linux Mint (and 99% of the other distros) you need to manually install the openvpn libraries required to connect. While you're answering this thread, paste this command into a terminal window and install the required software:

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome

It'll ask for your password, then install the software, and any dependencies (for example you may also need network-manager-openvpn and/or some openssl libraries). Chances are if you have a properly configured .ovpn file installed in NM it'll then connect. 

Edit to add: Having re-read your OP it sounds like you may be trying to connect with AirVPN's client (called Eddie). Is this so? If this is the case it simplifies things somewhat, but do answer the questions to the best of your ability. We'll soon have you up and running, don't worry.

Edited ... by rainmakerraw

1) 17 Rebecca

2) Cinnamon

3) I just downloaded the client from airvpn website and tried to login

4) I don't know anythin about openvpn, or advanced options in config. I just tried connecting to AirVPN after downloading it. I remmeber trying to install something related to gnome in terminal at one point last night to try getting my other VPN to work but that resulted in me getting a messsage about not having access to ".ICEauthrority" it straight after downloading it so had to do a lot of googling and messing around to get that fixed too.

Yes I tried connecting through the client it says "Not Connected. Network Exposed" and has a login screen.

OK, which file did you download? I'm presuming v2.8 deb file for Linux which you then installed, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

How does it fail to connect? I mean you went to the servers tab, decided on a server, right clicked it and hit 'connect'... and then what? What's happening? Can you please try again and when it fails go to the log tab and copy and paste the log into here for us. Remove any sensitive info (such as your IP address) before posting. 

If you haven't even gotten that far, I'm going to apologise in advance for potentially sounding patronising but... You did log in didn't you? You need to enter your username and password for AirVPN, check the boxes to agree to the terms, and then log in. Then you can connect via the servers tab.

When signing into Airvpn's website I have to fill in the email I provided to them and a password. When signing into the client I do not use the email but my username "Artful Dodger" and the password.

Have you signed into the client "Eddie" correct?

I have Mint and Air works with it no problems?

If still not working open a support ticket with the Staff.

The "connect" option on servers is greyed out because I can't even login. The client mistakenly thinks I've put in the wrong username and password - it gives a error message saying wrong login/password, despite it being the correct login details.

The "connect" option on servers is greyed out because I can't even login. The client mistakenly thinks I've put in the wrong username and password - it gives a error message saying wrong login/password, despite it being the correct login details.

Caps lock? Incorrect keyboard layout generating the wrong special characters (if any) in your pass? Numlock switched off but you're using the number pad?... As above though you're better off dropping in a support ticket to staff. It could be something serverside or a bug, though I doubt it - especially since this is the second VPN you couldn't get working! As said above I also run AirVPN (and others) no problems at all on Linux (Mint, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, Arch, etc). Let us know how you get on please. I'm sure Staff will sort you out.

As I said on other thread, the actual username is the name that appears next to your icon in the upper right of the website. It could be diferent from the user name you use to login the website.

As I said on other thread, the actual username is the name that appears next to your icon in the upper right of the website. It could be diferent from the user name you use to login the website.

That was a different user mate, unless (s)he has a dupe account. 

Well I think I'll be buying a longer subscription as the VPN appears to be working now but out of curiosity why didn't it before? I didn't enter the username or password differently.

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon user here as well.  AirVPN worked from the start.  Very fast and consistent.  Not sure why it didn't work for you previously.