Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.93.73
Sign in to follow this  
dh123456

Can't access local network

Hi,

I've recently lost access to the other devices on my network (I had internet connectivity though). I've done a full restore on my laptop, which then allowed me to regain access to the network. However I then reinstalled the Airvpn client (Eddie 2.6), and once again the network access was gone.

I set up a restore point, before installing the Airvpn client. Which I used to roll the laptop back to before the Airvpn software was installed. This resulted in me having the access to my network again.

I am clearly doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. Please can any of you experts suggest something. I am a noob, but have had no problems prior to this (I've been using Airvpn for over a year).

Many thanks

You mention you lost local net connectivity, and then again after re-installing 2.6, was 2.6 previously working fine (you mention using Air in the past) or did this issue only start with installing 2.6 over a previous version?

Did you enable the [preferences] network lock feature or did this happen by simply doing an install of the new version (ie you lose local device connectivity even without air running)? Since you mention restore point I assuming this is Win7\8\8.1 yes?

Sorry, it is windows 8.1! I've never had a problem connecting to my local network prior to this problem, and I've always used the airvpn windows app. However the vpn has been disconnected each time I have previously connected to my network.

I haven't tried to access the network for a few weeks, and have since updated to Eddie 2.6. I did enable the network lock, but I only thought this applied while the vpn was connected.

Prior to me rolling back my laptop the network and sharing center showed I was connected to my wireless network, but it was also showing local network connection 2,3,4 and 5.

At present I haven't reinstalled the Airvpn app.

Many thanks for your help

I did enable the network lock, but I only thought this applied while the vpn was connected.

Well it's supposed to only apply during the time vpn connection tunnel is active, but it's possible for some reason or another after the connection with 2.6 (with network lock enabled) the original FW rules that are saved were not being put back in place right after the disconnect. - or so was my thinking for one a possible cause - it's a beta feature after all and one I haven't really used other then to try it once on win7 which seemed to work but milage seems to be varying reading elsewhere on the forums.

If that's the case and it's a rule screw up you'd likely see "AirVpn" labeled rules in your firewall settings after disconnect still. 

I would either try installing 2.5 (if you still have it) or installing 2.6 again and not enabling the network lock feature before connecting the first time.  Besides just a restore point, you can also if you like prior to re-installation open up the windows firewall management console (In control panel\windows firewall select 'advanced settings' on the left) and then right click the "windows firewall with advanced security..." item on the left side and select Export policy to make a personal backup of the current rule set.  That way if things go screwy again you can do the same and select restore defaults or import back your saved policys after that  - assuming the problem is actually related to FW rules. Sure beats having to do a restore point operation in terms of time, again assuming it's a FW ruleset screw up of some type, which it may not be, just my first thought since prior to 2.6 you had no issues.  Also required or not I'd make sure when running the installation of 2.6 it's done with admin rights, or 'run as administrator' when you kick off the install exe just to make sure the setup routine can do everything it may need to do.

Hope this helps in some way.

I did enable the network lock, but I only thought this applied while the vpn was connected.

Well it's supposed to only apply during the time vpn connection tunnel is active, but it's possible for some reason or another after the connection with 2.6 (with network lock enabled) the original FW rules that are saved were not being put back in place right after the disconnect. - or so was my thinking for one a possible cause -

Hello!

Firewall rules are not restored after a disconnection, otherwise Network Lock would be quite useless. You need to disable Network Lock if you want to restore your previous firewall rules.

Kind regards

I am not sure if this helps  but give it a try

after trying to connect  ( if u connect /or not )  go to the bottom right taskbar and right click on AirVpn  then choose  preferences //   make sure  no Proxy   make sure  host is correct and port is correct   and only expert mod is checked 

good luck

9yzTU300x300.png                                                                                      visa1.png                  

Thanks for all your help. I've installed openvpn, using the Airvpn config files for now. I'll reinstall the Airvpn app when I'm confident I know what I'm doing. I'll keep checking the forums in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Once again many thanks 

Hello!

Firewall rules are not restored after a disconnection, otherwise Network Lock would be quite useless. You need to disable Network Lock if you want to restore your previous firewall rules.

Kind regards

I guess I miss understood the point of the feature and how it's supposed to work then, thank you.  No wonder he had issues then.