Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.66.87
Sign in to follow this  
dwright

Connecting with Debian

I read in the how to section that there is a security flaw in Debian's current implementation of OpenVPN Network Manager where it doesn't check the server's certificate. From what I've tried, I really like Debian, so this is a shame. However, I recently found out about Debian Testing and Debian Sid. Is the flaw fixed in these releases?

I ask because I've not found Eddie to be very good in Debian for a number of reasons:

it needs to be a window rather than something accessed from the taskbar;

my DNS leaks;

the built-in fix for DNS leaks makes it unable to connect;

it frequently crashes when I try to exit;

the speeds aren't anywhere near as good as when run through network manager.

So this is not a good solution to the problem. I find running plain OpenVPN is too technical.

Suggestions?

I read in the how to section that there is a security flaw in Debian's current implementation of OpenVPN Network Manager where it doesn't check the server's certificate. From what I've tried, I really like Debian, so this is a shame. However, I recently found out about Debian Testing and Debian Sid. Is the flaw fixed in these releases?

I ask because I've not found Eddie to be very good in Debian for a number of reasons:

it needs to be a window rather than something accessed from the taskbar;

my DNS leaks;

the built-in fix for DNS leaks makes it unable to connect;

Hello,

we would recommend troubleshooting. All of these problems are not reproducible in our Debian systems. Consider that Eddie for Linux has been developed first in Debian 7 machines! Additionally, Eddie is in beta version, so we need as much feedback as possible to fix any bug. Eddie 2.2 will have a lot of fixes.

it frequently crashes when I try to exit;

This is interesting, can you provide additional information?

the speeds aren't anywhere near as good as when run through network manager.

This is not Eddie's fault, connections are handled anyway by OpenVPN, regardless of network-manager or Eddie or any other OpenVPN wrapper.

Kind regards

Additional information from what I remember:

A number of times I tried to use the DNS-leak prevention feature and it would get stuck in a loop of connecting to a server, failling and connecting to another one. I would try to exit and it would just stay open for some reason, refusing to exit even when repeatedly pressing the cross in the top right or going into the menu in Eddie to select exit from there.

I'm still very much experimenting with Linux, including Debian, so it could be that I've configured things badly here!

Hello!

Thank you very much for the information! We'll check. Just an additional information, is resolvconf package installed in your system?

Kind regards

Sorry for the delay in repsonding. I'm afraid I can't check this as I have uninstalled Debian (and already had done at the time of starting this thread). However, if I reinstall Debian I'll be sure to let you know.