Not connected, Your IP: 18.207.98.249
Staff

Using AirVPN with OpenVPN for Android

• Install OpenVPN for Android.

Openvpn for Android is an open source client based on the open source OpenVPN project.

It uses the VPNService API of Android 4.0+ and requires neither Jailbreak nor root on your telephone.

Hosted on GitHub: https://github.com/schwabe/ics-openvpn
  • Note: if you don't have access to Google Play Store, you can download "OpenVPN for Android" apk here: https://airvpn.org/repository/ics-openvpn-latest-stable.apk
  • Launch your internet browser.

NOTE: don't use the default Android browser because it has an unresolved bug.

Chrome and Opera have been tested by us and work.

• Connect to AirVPN website, login and create the configuration files from our Config Generator.

Choose Linux as platform (only direct TCP and UDP connections are supported) and finally click the "Generate" button to download it.

• Downloaded .ovpn files may be imported directly into the application but the behavior depends on many factors (employed browser, files manager, Android version, etc).

For simplicity's sake, we assume in this guide that you saved .ovpn generated files under the Download directory in the Android filesystem.

• Open OpenVPN for Android and tap the top right "Import" button:

screenshot_1501487960.png

• Click on the import button of the prompt dialog:

screenshot_1501487964.png

• Browse to *.ovpn files:

screenshot_1501488014.png

• Select your configuration of choice:

screenshot_1501488023.png

• Confim the import with the top right button:

screenshot_1501488035.png

• Click on the imported profile to connect:

screenshot_1501488047.png

• Confirm the Android's security prompt dialog:

screenshot_1501488058.png

• Wait for the bootstrap sequence:

screenshot_1501488084.png

• The VPN tunnel is now established:

screenshot_1501488147.png

• When you need to disconnect from the VPN click on the "Disconnect" button from the app's notification:

screenshot_1501488155.png

• Confirm the prompt dialog:

screenshot_1501488177.png

Posted ... (edited)

If you don't want or can't use Google Play or F-Droid to download this app, browse to http://plai.de/android/ and download it there.

Also, if you are looking for older or pre-release versions, this link can be valuable for you.

Edited ... by giganerd
Reappeared

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I am trying to install the VPN on my android phone, however going to airvpn.org on my phone is not possible as the government here blocks the site. Can I work around this, and how? (I have AirVpn on my laptop.)

Thanks.

Gerry

I am trying to install the VPN on my android phone, however going to airvpn.org on my phone is not possible as the government here blocks the site. Can I work around this, and how? (I have AirVpn on my laptop.)

Hello,

please try https://airvpn.org

Kind regards

Hi,

I followed the guide but I got stuck at the Select your configuration of choice step. When I try to select an .ovpn file from my downloads folder, nothing happens. I downloaded linux and android .ovpn files and can't select any of them. I just upgraded to Oreo on my nexus 6p.

Thanks

Select it with a file manager.

I had this problem too. All the downloads were greyed out and not selectable. I moved the .ovpn files to my SD and could import them from there without issue. Hope that helps

I have similar problems as above. All the downloads were greyed out and not selectable. Is there any solution?

I have similar problems as above. All the downloads were greyed out and not selectable. Is there any solution?

Solution is literally two posts before yours, use a file manager to select the file.

Sent via Tapatalk. Means, I don't have a computer available now.

Solution is literally two posts before yours, use a file manager to select the file.

Using a file manager doesn't work. I had to move the files to my SD card as Hexane suggested.

Hi there,

I wasn't able to generate a config file using the VEWD browser on my Sony Bravia Android TV. The original post mentions Chrome and Opera browsers however those are no longer available to install in the Google Play Store. Has anyone been able to generate a config file using the VEWD browser? Or is there another browser you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Hi,

there's an option that connect VPN directly when I start my device?

In OpenVPN for Android, go to the Settings tab and check the "Connect on Boot" option (3rd from the top).

...create the configuration files from our Config Generator.  Choose Linux as platform..."

Is the above still correct?  "Android" is an option in the Config Generator.  Is there some reason for choosing "Linux" instead of "Android?"

...create the configuration files from our Config Generator. Choose Linux as platform..."

Is the above still correct? "Android" is an option in the Config Generator. Is there some reason for choosing "Linux" instead of "Android?"
They generate identical configs. I think there isn't any.

Hi there! I follow the steps and on theory I did everything succesfully. Finaly I see that I am connected, but no internet. I tryed both protocols, but nothing.. The same server work when I enter trought my laptop.

When I get to the "confirm Android Security" I can only choose 'cancel'.  'OK' is there, but will not respond when I tap it?

------------------------------------------------------------

Resolved.  Apparently there was a background app 'over top' of the ok button.  Anyway, closed background apps temporarily and now it is working

I've seen that another VPN provider has an APK for Android.
Instructions for it:-
Download APK
Switch on when needed
Switch off when not needed.

Is there some reason that AirVPN can't provide something as simple as this this?

There's also an 'OpenVPN for Android' plugin for Tasker (an Android automation app) that can automate the connection and disconnection of any OpenVPN service using the software described in this guide. It's very handy.

Just tried both "OpenVPN for Android" by Arne Schwabe and "OpenVPN" by OpenVPN apps on my Galaxy S8.  Could NOT get "Open VPN for Android" to work despite trying all the recommendations in this thread, but "OpenVPN" worked flawlessly with the UDP opvn file. Thought this might help folks who are having issues with "OpenVPN for Android". 

Its working on my Cellphone, but when i test it on ipleak.net, the Test said IPv6 is still enabled and the Real IP is unprotected.

Its working on my Cellphone, but when i test it on ipleak.net, the Test said IPv6 is still enabled and the Real IP is unprotected.

Untick 'bypass vpn for local networks' under routing then it will be fine

simple install just add the file to the SD card  and download from there...