Not connected, Your IP: 52.90.131.200
uservpn

Torrent speeds drop to zero, then reappear, thenn drop, etc (Raspberry Pi)

Hello, 

I'm running a Raspberry Pi (Rasbian). I've set up the torrent client Deluge. I've also set up openVPN, using a .ovpn file created from your configuration page. 

When openVPN is NOT running on the Raspberry Pi, Deluge runs fine with consistent download speeds. However, when I launch openVPN (sudo openvpn AirVPN_FR-Furud_UDP-443.ovpn), the download speed will maintain for 3 to 5 minutes, then it will drop to zero, then it will slowly start to download again, picking up speed for another few minutes, then drop to zero again, and so on. -> up and down, from around 600KiBs, all the way down to zero, then back up again, down again, etc.

Can someone help me resolve this?

Thank you.

Tried to set a speed limit? Set it to your maximum download speed and see what happens.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Tried to set a speed limit? Set it to your maximum download speed and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried setting the speed limit as you suggested. Unfortunately, there was no change. Downloading starts, lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes, then drops out.

Something strange I've noticed, when looking at the "Client Area" page on the AirVPN site, it shows how long you've been connected to the AirVPN service ("Connected since"). If I refresh the page, the "Connected since"  time keeps growing. But at around 1m 30s, when I refresh the page again, it shows something like "Connected since: 12s ago". And it does this over and over. It makes me think that something is causing the AirVPN connection to constantly disconnect and reconnect every 1 or 2 minutes. 

This is my first foray into Linux and I spent hours installing it, installing the torrent client, Flexget (automatic RSS feed downloads). Everything was working great, but the AirVPN connection has brought the whole thing to a standstill

Any further input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried setting the speed limit as you suggested. Unfortunately, there was no change. Downloading starts, lasts for about 1 or 2 minutes, then drops out.

Something strange I've noticed, when looking at the "Client Area" page on the AirVPN site, it shows how long you've been connected to the AirVPN service ("Connected since"). If I refresh the page, the "Connected since"  time keeps growing. But at around 1m 30s, when I refresh the page again, it shows something like "Connected since: 12s ago". And it does this over and over. It makes me think that something is causing the AirVPN connection to constantly disconnect and reconnect every 1 or 2 minutes. 

Hello!

Yes, your assumption according to that information looks correct. Please post the OpenVPN logs to see what happens.

Kind regards

Guest Chaf

For having one myself and after trying many distros and having contacted the maintainers on IRC, i had the confirmation that the Pi has a processor not fast enough to handle torrenting by itself.

Adding to that the fact you are also using an openvpn connection and it adds a lot of processor usage.

Try running top to see the usage. You might want to learn by using the manpage or online resources what each block means and you'll understand that the pi struggles even when doing some basic tasks.

The USB bus is also shared with the ethernet bus which also has it's side effects...

There is no solution to this unless you change your hardware (Rpi) to something more powerful. 

I can easily maintain fast connection speed with a raspberry pi. Firstly i do not use raspbian i use arch so that may make a difference in speed. Secondly i use transmission for torrenting - i have this configured for a low amount of peers (200).

So i would check the amount of peers your client uses and also use a program such as htop or top to see the processes that use the cpu alot and mabye disable or kill them. Lastly try overclocking your rasp pi to around 1ghz.