Not connected, Your IP: 3.131.110.169
jsanon

ANSWERED Continuing problem of 'Error - site blocked.' ...

For months now i've been intermittently getting this error when trying to connect to torrent websites such as Pirate Bay :

Error. Site blocked.

This is the same error i get if i try to access one of the torrent sites now blocked by UK ISPs, without using Air.

I don't understand how i can possibly be getting this while connected to Air ?

A few minutes ago i tried to access a torrent site via Air and had no problems, then i tried to access it again and it was blocked, then i tried again immediately and i connected.

Can ISPs see patterns in encrypted packets ? I Don't understand how this only happens with blocked torrent sites when i am supposedly using an encrypted connection ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello!

ISPs can't see your traffic real content, origin, destination and can't even see protocols and applications that you run while traffic is tunneled. The most immediate explanation is that your system is intermittently querying (is your OS Windows?) your ISP poisoned DNS, or some other UK poisoned DNS. Use VPN DNS (10.4.0.1) or OpenNIC DNS to be sure to query non-poisoned DNS.

Kind regards

Thank you Staff, i bow to your superior TCP/IP knowledge.

I know nothing of DNS other than its ports and its function.

So, even though our communications are encrypted, our name servers remain the same, of course, i hadn't thought of that, i'm a VPN noob ;+}

How then can we explain the intermittence of the problem ? Especially, as in my OP, it can rear its ugly head from one moment to the next.

Thanks again,

JS.

How then can we explain the intermittence of the problem ? Especially, as in my OP, it can rear its ugly head from one moment to the next.

Hello!

An explanation comes to mind if your OS is Windows. Is it? If so, Windows lacks a proper DNS implementation. There is no global DNS and each network interface must have its own DNS. In order to send out DNS queries, svchost.exe under some circumstance may try all the DNS servers listed in every and each network card. So sometimes it might send out DNS queries to our VPN DNS, sometimes to your ISP DNS, sometimes to some other...

Kind regards

Ahh, thank you Yes it is Windoze7, my apologies i neglected to mention that before !

So, as a quick fix without having to pay for an alternative DNS service, if i just disabled my other NICs before connecting to Air, that may work ?

(DNS search-server-order comes to mind, i'm forgetting my knowledge, believe it or not i used to work in IT but only windows networks and the odd Slackware installation back in the day)

I'll try it over the next few days unless i'm on the wrong track ?

Thanks again,

JS.

Thanks very, very much

That was a really frustrating problem for me and has now been solved.

All the best,

JS.