Photo

Should I have LZO Compression turned off? (Viscosity)

lzo compression viscosity

Best Answer Staff, 09 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hello,

"Adaptive" can be the best solution, although your device will work in any case.

Kind regards

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PirateParty

PirateParty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

I am wondering if AirVPN suggests LZO Compression, when I imported the config it had it set to [On (Adaptive)]

There are 2 other options also, just plain on and off. So do speeds increase with it off or on? What is the suggestion? And if I have it off does it effect anything?

https://cryptoforums.net/ Computing, Crypto, Security & Privacy Forum

#2 giganerd

giganerd

I shall have no title

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

--comp-noadapt When used in conjunction with --comp-lzo, this option will disable OpenVPN's adaptive compression algorithm. Normally, adaptive compression is enabled with --comp-lzo.

Adaptive compression tries to optimize the case where you have compression enabled, but you are sending predominantly uncompressible (or pre-compressed) packets over the tunnel, such as an FTP or rsync transfer of a large, compressed file. With adaptive compression, OpenVPN will periodically sample the compression process to measure its efficiency. If the data being sent over the tunnel is already compressed, the compression efficiency will be very low, triggering openvpn to disable compression for a period of time until the next re-sample test.

OpenVPN 2.3 Manpage ;)

But I don't know whether it will have an effect on CPU/bandwidth usage. Give it a shot and report, might be interesting :)

Always remember:
There's a guide to AirVPN,

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here,
running TOR exits is discouraged,

using spoilers for your logs helps us read your thread.

~ Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. ~

Instead of writing me a personal mail, consider contacting me via XMPP at gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join the lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org. I might read the mail too late whereas I'm always available on XMPP ;)

#3 Staff

Staff

Advanced Member

• Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7857 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:55 PM   Best Answer

Hello,

"Adaptive" can be the best solution, although your device will work in any case.

Kind regards