Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.82.79
Sign in to follow this  
bubocz

Port forwarding - user dependence (?)

I am using AirVPN set on my DD-WRT router so all the computers, tablets, etc. are in VPN, Now, tried to set port forwarding for a port 3389 (used by some MS services as Remote Desktop, Remote Display, etc.)  but I got an error message "Port 3389 already reserved by another user".

My questions are:

- Does it mean that all to clients "share" the same "port space" and I am not able to define port forward based on my needs but based on "available space"? If yes, I understand it as a missing information from  a provider side because it has not been mentioned anywhere (as I know) - there was only text aboout ports above 2048, no other restrictions...

- What to do in the case that one would like to use a service which uses defined ports and I do not know about any way how to modified it?

I would appreaciate any feedback...

I am using AirVPN set on my DD-WRT router so all the computers, tablets, etc. are in VPN, Now, tried to set port forwarding for a port 3389 (used by some MS services as Remote Desktop, Remote Display, etc.)  but I got an error message "Port 3389 already reserved by another user".

My questions are:

- Does it mean that all to clients "share" the same "port space" and I am not able to define port forward based on my needs but based on "available space"?

Yes, of course: since the exit-IP address is shared (a dedicated IP address per client might easily crumble the anonymity layer) this is unavoidable. You can anyway remap any remotely forwarded port to any local port. Alternatively just configure your service to listen to the appropriate port or create a basic port re-mapping.

Kind regards

My questions are:

- Does it mean that all to clients "share" the same "port space" and I am not able to define port forward based on my needs but based on "available space"?

Yes, of course: since the exit-IP address is shared (a dedicated IP address per client might easily crumble the anonymity layer) this is unavoidable. You can anyway remap any remotely forwarded port to any local port. Alternatively just configure your service to listen to the appropriate port or create a basic port re-mapping.

Kind regards

For you "of course" but I am not 100% sure that this is for 100% clear for anybody who is willing to pay for VPN service so it could be fine to describe it clearly in service description with an explanation of advantages and desadvantages... I expect all the information from you as a provider. For example - another VPN provider described that for defined VPN servers, all ports are open and it is up to customer to arrange the rest. It seems to be a clear message for me... I chose AirVPN for your approach so I believe that I would not regret...:-)

As to your proposal - OK, but please give me information how to do this, especially it the case that I am not provider of mentioned services. As I have written in another topic, MS OneNote synchronization stops working when I am using AirVPN and I am looking for a port to open. At the moment, I need to switch VPN off :-( in order to sync it which is not the way how I would like to continue in the future. At the moment, the only information I got from Google is that -perhaps- port 3389 must be open in order to arrange sync process between MS OneNote client at the computer and MS servers somewhere. As I know, there is no settings of ports in MS OneNote application on PC (mabe registers?) so I do not know about any way how I - as a user - can change ports which are in use.

So I appreciate clear answer how to continue in order to check this functionality with AirVPN and later on how to set port forwarding in accordance with AirVPN rules.

BTW - my proposal is to discuss it directly now 

Hello,

unfortunately we don't know MS One Note, anyway as it was written in the previous message you can remap any remotely forwarded port to any other local port. You can do that in your "Forwarded ports" panel, accessible by clicking "Client Area" from the upper menu and then clicking "Forwarded ports" from the left tabs.

Kind regards

Hello,

unfortunately we don't know MS One Note, anyway as it was written in the previous message you can remap any remotely forwarded port to any other local port. You can do that in your "Forwarded ports" panel, accessible by clicking "Client Area" from the upper menu and then clicking "Forwarded ports" from the left tabs.

Kind regards

Hello.

I understand - but this information does not help me solve my problem :-(

Rgds

Hello,

Kind regards

Hello.

I understand - but this information does not help me solve my problem :-(

Rgds

Hello,

but it should. Compare the answer on the other thread you have opened. Let's try to keep one problem in one thread.

Kind regards