Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.179.138
OpenSourcerer

Opinions on AirVPN I found on Reddit

Posted ... (edited)

Out of boredom I searched for AirVPN on Reddit. This is what I personally found most interesting. The subreddit (VPN) isn't very popular but I think it's enough.

Opinions on AirVPN?

Worth it to switch over from AirVPN to Private Internet Access?

Trying to decide between proxy.sh and AirVPN

An object lesson in how to handle Heartbleed and customer interaction - AirVPN

Edit:

I found one more subreddit (/r/vpnreviews) but there's only one AirVPN review by vpncompare.co.uk dated November 24, 2013. Their conclusion:

This company has earned my respect with the level of transparency and quality of service that they provide. AirVPN has always been at the forefront of encryption strength and features, many of which should eventually be considered mandatory for other companies to implement. They have set the bar at such a high level that it’s going to be hard for other VPN providers not to take notice.

Edited ... by giganerd

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

hello giganerd,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the Airvpn Community.

Regards,

Solex1

I have always found that Airvpn is held in high regard on the internet, a simple google search confirms this. On the VPN subreddit here it is not popular as firstly the forums for Airvpn are active compared to others vpn providers - this means that potential questions that may be asked in the subreddit are instead asked here and additionally the subreddit is simply filled with many users of another vpn service which results in alot of advertisement for that company over many others.

I personally find that too many people who are new to the VPN topic first hear of PIA, most of them even subscribe to them thinking it's the best you can find. I really would like to see them subscribing to AirVPN first.

I have always found that Airvpn is held in high regard on the internet, a simple google search confirms this. On the VPN subreddit here it is not popular as firstly the forums for Airvpn are active compared to others vpn providers - this means that potential questions that may be asked in the subreddit are instead asked here and additionally the subreddit is simply filled with many users of another vpn service which results in alot of advertisement for that company over many others.

I share your thought.

I'm one of those idiots that subscribed to PIA first thinking it was probably the best out there. Their marketing got me. I wish I would have subscribed here first. Unfortunately, I paid for a whole year of PIA (granted, it's cheap). I'll definitely be switching to AirVPN.

I'm one of those idiots that subscribed to PIA first thinking it was probably the best out there. Their marketing got me. I wish I would have subscribed here first. Unfortunately, I paid for a whole year of PIA (granted, it's cheap). I'll definitely be switching to AirVPN.

Pia is not bad, it's just basic. For people who look at more options, better support and better program to connect then airvpn is the clear choice. 

Get ready for some controversy...

IMO PIA is NSA

Said same thing on Reddit too.

Edit: I have nothing to back this up, just saying do you honestly believe they can do all they advertise within US Jurisdiction.

IMO PIA is NSA

Edit: I have nothing to back this up, just saying do you honestly believe they can do all they advertise within US Jurisdiction.

That's just way too conspiracy theory for me.  I used PIA for years with no issues, no DCMA notices.  Nothing wrong at all.  I still have a year left on my account with them.

I switched to AirVPN because I like the "hacktivist" feel of this place, and what I believe to be better security measures (starting at stronger default encryption and going all the way up to being able to set up the VPN Tunnel over SSH/SSL).  I don't regret changing for a second.  Even though I found PIA's massive server clusters to be nice and great speed, I get the same or better speeds with AirVPN.  This company may be smaller, but they know what they are doing way better than PIA does.

For those in the land of bliss what is PIA

Private Internet Access, a competitor service of AirVPN based in the US.

IMO PIA is NSA

There are a lot of VPN companies based in USA.  Are they all NSA?  I don't see where PIA advertises to do anything more than the average VPN.

By the way, PIA dynamically routes traffic from their USA gateways through Toronto when it's not the common WWW ports (80, 443, etc) to avoid legal problems as much as possible.  And only a few of their servers offer port forwarding (none in the USA), for further separation from potential legal trouble.

As I said initially... pure speculation, but when you look at what the NSA and GCHQ (to name only two) are capable of and have been shown to do I don't think this is out of the realms of possibility in fact I would even say this type of honey pot is even probable... only who is the question and been in US or UK borders only makes this more likely.

As I said all this is only my opinion.