Not connected, Your IP: 54.226.242.26
Sign in to follow this  
neverfox

ANSWERED Problems with forwarding and client

I'm getting a 110 error on my forwarded port even though it was working fine the other day when I connected (server Heze). I've changed nothing about my configuration in terms of firewall etc. It's just not working now where it was working before.

Also, on a side note, I'm having to use OpenVPN GUI with downloaded configs because if I use the AirVPN client, I have problems on disconnect. If I disconnect, I can't reconnect and I lose all network connectivity. Instead I have to drop off of my network completely and come back on so that everything will reset.

Hello,

can you please perform a test with our PortListener available here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9315-port-forwarding-tester/

and report the results?

Please set the PortListener to listen to your VPN IP address (10.x.x.x) on your remotely forwarded port, then log in the web site, go to your ports panel and start a test for that port (and also for some other port, for a more extensive test). Look at the PortListener and check whether any incoming packet is detected or not.

Kind regards

No incoming packets detected. So am I supposed to be opening the port on my router also? It seems from your instructions that I am not and I didn't before when it was working. Is there anything, in fact, that I'm supposed to be doing with my router's configuration? What about my software firewall (I'm on Windows 8 x64, using Windows Firewall)?

Oh, I tried it with a second port, as you suggested, and I received a packet! That's good to know it's working but I'm disappointed that I would have to change my port all the time if this is an issue with the port being using by someone else. Is there a way to ensure more stability in my ports so that I don't have to reconfigure my P2P software often?

Also, I'm still hoping you'll be able to help me with my client issue. If I connect with OpenVPN GUI, I can disconnect and return to normal internet use. However, if I disconnect with the AirVPN client, I lose all connectivity (because perhaps it's not resetting the routing table). I have to disconnect and reconnect my wifi to reestablish a normal connection, or to reconnect again with the AirVPN client.

No incoming packets detected. So am I supposed to be opening the port on my router also? It seems from your instructions that I am not and I didn't before when it was working. Is there anything, in fact, that I'm supposed to be doing with my router's configuration? What about my software firewall (I'm on Windows 8 x64, using Windows Firewall)?

Hello!

We confirm you that you should NOT forward ports on your router. That would potentially expose your system to correlation attacks.

Kind regards

Oh, I tried it with a second port, as you suggested, and I received a packet! That's good to know it's working but I'm disappointed that I would have to change my port all the time if this is an issue with the port being using by someone else. Is there a way to ensure more stability in my ports so that I don't have to reconfigure my P2P software often?

Hello!

No collisions are possible: when the system reserves a port to your account, you can rest assured that you don't need to worry about that. We have investigated the issue and one of your forwarded port is totally blocked by the system on some servers.

This is due to very particular circumstances: either an attack against our servers toward that port has been detected by the server or activity that infringes our Terms of Service to that/those IP:port has been reported to us. In both cases momentary port blocking/packets dropping is essential to protect our system without infringing customer's privacy. Thank you for your understanding. For any further information and/or for your problem with the Air client please open a ticket at your convenience.

Kind regards

Thank you. Good to know it wasn't something I was doing wrong. I've opened a ticket regarding the client problem.