Not connected, Your IP: 52.55.55.239
Staff

New Speed Test available

With great help from esmeralda I found out that the Application Boundaries Enforcer in NoScript might cause this issue. Deactivate it temporarily to let the speed test succeed. You can also deactivate the addon, in this case you have to restart Firefox twice (disable, enable).

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hi everyone ... I'm having trouble getting the speedtest to work correctly. When I start the test (with default settings) I get the countdown. But once it gets to 0 secs, the test just sits there for a very long without any activity. Eventually, I'm given a NaN error shown below:

Down: 0.000 Mbit/s Out, NaN Mbit/s In (NaN%), 1MB - Up: 0.000 Mbit/s Out, NaN Mbit/s In (NaN%), 1MB - Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 06:20:58 GMT - Buffers: 1MB/1MB - Laps: 3, Time: 954.67 secs

At first I thought it was an AdBlock/NoScript issue, so I completely disabled them. Then, I thought it was a browser issue; so I switched from Firefox (v. 29) to Chrome and I'm still having the same problem. I have had similar results using different servers and test settings. I would appreciate any help that could solve this problem. Thanks.

Disable antivirus and firewall software and retry, please.

Thanks, gigan3rd. That did the trick. I guess the speed test needs to have access to traffic outside the VPN tunnel to measure the "Out of Tunnel" speed. That was being blocked by my firewall.

Hey, I read the thread, but didn't see an explanation for how the out-tunnel speeds are calculated. I am under the impression that the Eddie client (Windows 7 x64) forces all internet bound traffic to go via the VPN tunnel. Then how does the website bypass it? I am curious whether other apps (installed on my pc) can also choose to bypass the tunnel... Btw, ipleak.net shows no dns leaks (not sure if that matters)

Hey, I read the thread, but didn't see an explanation for how the out-tunnel speeds are calculated. I am under the impression that the Eddie client (Windows 7 x64) forces all internet bound traffic to go via the VPN tunnel. Then how does the website bypass it? I am curious whether other apps (installed on my pc) can also choose to bypass the tunnel... Btw, ipleak.net shows no dns leaks (not sure if that matters)

Hello!

Because the test is performed to and from the same VPN server your system is connected to (that's why this test can work only with our service and when your system is connected to a VPN server). There is no bypass at all, routing table is respected.

Kind regards

Sorry, I didn't understand the explanation. The buffer data is sent from the VPN server to the VPN server. But for it measure my internet speed, at some point it needs to pass via my computer right? And if it does, then doesn't the routing table affect it??

I am asking this cuz, for the past two days, the out of tunnel speeds are way off. I am on a 4Mbps plan and a speedtest.net test against an Amsterdam server gives me around 3.8 Mbps. After connecting the VPN to a Amsterdam server, speedtest.net shows reduced speeds of around 2Mbps. The AirVPN speedtest however shows an out-tunnel speed of around 1 Mbps and an intunnel speed of around 80%.

I will most likely start a new thread to discuss the issues mentioned in the 2nd para. I mentioned them here to give a li'l context for the queries in the 1st para.

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't understand the explanation. The buffer data is sent from the VPN server to the VPN server. But for it measure my internet speed, at some point it needs to pass via my computer right? And if it does, then doesn't the routing table affect it??

Hello!

The test is hosted inside the VPN server. Random data are created and then sent to/from your system from/to VPN server entry-IP (therefore out of the tunnel) and inside the tunnel. These tests are not very reliable in absolute terms, their value lies more on relative comparisons between in-tunnel and out-tunnel throughput. Increase the buffer to try to get more precise results. We wanted to implement a test that does not need Flash or Java and that at the same time is running inside the VPN server in order not to rely on a 3rd node which causes bias.

Kind regards

I think I have misunderstood what the term "Tunnel" means. My understanding is, after connecting to the VPN server, the path from my computer to the VPN server is the tunnel. From your previous post, it sounds as if the "Tunnel" is something within the VPN server. If the latter is true, then the out-tunnel speed need not match (and could possibly be far below) the speed I get when not connected to the VPN.

I also experience browser crashes (safari and chrome) on the iPad Air iOS 7.1.2, nearly every time I run the airvpn speedtest. One note, I run safari in Private mode.

I get an error for the in-tunnel test "0 - error - ".  Any idea what the problem is?

If you use NoScript, your problem has been resolved a few posts before.

yeah, disabling no script was needed, not simply allowing scripts was enough.  Thanks!

Actually, you just needed to disable the Application Boundaries Enforcer, but yes, I'm glad it worked.