Not connected, Your IP: 54.173.43.215

I hate to bump an old thread, but there is still no solution for ChromeOS users, I've spent a few days trying solutions

Here's the settings page in case someone can walk us through the setup

http://i.imgur.com/Q4AAadF.png

GUI only supports onc files, which I'v tried to create but without success.  For now it's as quick/easy to just use the shell.   If you have dev mode enabled then add this to your .bashrc

alias vpn='cd && sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0'

Generate your config using the 'Other' device.  Now it's just a case of open shell, type vpn and boom

BUMP!

Although I bumped this a couple weeks ago, I figured I'd post back with my findings. AirVPN works perfectly with OpenVPN in a Linux chroot as mentioned much earlier, last year to be exact, by one of the staff. Follow any Crouton install guide, there's many of them if you know how to Google. I did the CLI only install which is really all you need to setup the tunnel. ALSO, on some Chromebooks, no tunnel will stay connected due to a process known as Shill. This can be resolved easily through a script.

One thing that I haven't quite figured out is, which resolv.conf file that the UI actually uses. This is necessary to know as once you have the tunnel created, you need to change the DNS servers that you're using to resolve domains with to the AirVPN internal address: 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1. So far, I've been just changing the DNS in the GUI after I've setup the tunnel in the chroot environment. Making this change will mitigate DNS leaks.

Speaking of leaks... no matter what your use of VPN is, if you're on a network that's using IPV6, you're going to be blazing a trail right back to you if you're not careful. Even when you get this working on your Chromebook, check to make sure that you're not leaking IPV6. Good luck! 

You should be able to use it without a chroot, in a cros shell.  Does for me.  Generate the config file using the "Router or Other" option, and just 

sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0

Works fine for me, ymmv.

You should be able to use it without a chroot, in a cros shell.  Does for me.  Generate the config file using the "Router or Other" option, and just 

sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0

Works fine for me, ymmv.

Yeah, speaking strictly for the Acer C910, the Shill process shuts down tun0 as soon as you create it. The only resolution for me was to actually install Linux. I really didn't want to go through trouble, believe me, but it was well worth it. 

I goit it working with my Samsung Chromebook with

sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0
sudo openvpn --config  NAMEOFYOURFILE.opvn --dev tun0

that was posted on previous page. First i got an error "Read from TUN/TAP : File descriptor in bad state (code=77)" but I got past that with

sudo stop shill
sudo start shill BLACKLISTED_DEVICES=tun0 (It tells shill to ignore tun0)

Do not know if this works for anyone else but for me it helped.

that was posted on previous page. First i got an error "Read from TUN/TAP : File descriptor in bad state (code=77)" but I got past that with

sudo stop shill

I haven't used it in a while but I just tried to connect the vpn and I got the same errors as you, and noticed I have shill running.  Did what you suggested and works fine.  This is something new.  As if it wasn't hard enough to get vpn on chromeos! tsk...

thanks

sudo stop shill

I haven't used it in a while but I just tried to connect the vpn and I got the same errors as you, and noticed I have shill running.  Did what you suggested and works fine.  This is something new.  As if it wasn't hard enough to get vpn on chromeos! tsk...

thanks

This worked for me after some fiddling around. Thanks.

Got airvpn working from crosh shell. Mainly, there are 2 problems to overcome:

1. As stated above, we need to instruct shill to ignore the tun0 interface:
    sudo stop shill
    sudo start shill BLACKLISTED_DEVICES=tun0
  2. For some reason, the DNS server is not updating itself. The /etc/resolv.conf file not writeable but bind-mounting a writeable file is not enough for me. It looks shill reverts the DNS modification back once the default route is modified by openvpn. I need to manually update my resolv.conf file once the connection is established. For instance, using Google's DNS:
    # bind mount resolv.conf to make it writeable
    mount --bind "./resolv.conf" "/var/run/shill/resolv.conf"

openvpn client.openvpn &

# then wait a little
    sleep 20 & echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > ./resolv.conf

Here is a dirty script I use to automate the whole thing and you can update to your needs.

Hi all, first post. 

I am wondering if the soon to come Android apps being available on Chromebooks will allow us to use AirVPN?

Hopefully this will be a simple solution? 

I'm hoping somebody far more experienced than I am will be able to comment. 

Hi all, first post. 

I am wondering if the soon to come Android apps being available on Chromebooks will allow us to use AirVPN?

You can already use airvpn on chromebooks.  Via shell.

Hi all, first post. 

I appreciate that and I've managed to install Linux on a Chromebook before, so I have used the shell.

However, this looks far more complicated and I am wondering if new app support will improve this and possibly negate the need for shell.

TBH, I've not used the chromebook for a few months, but when I did all I needed to do was generate the airvpn config using the "Other" category (not android or linux) and then issue the command

sudo stop shill ; sleep 3 ; sudo start shill BLACKLISTED_DEVICES=tun0 ; sleep 3 ; sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0

Just worked.

Hi all, first post. 

I appreciate that and I've managed to install Linux on a Chromebook before, so I have used the shell.

However, this looks far more complicated and I am wondering if new app support will improve this and possibly negate the need for shell.

TBH, I've not used the chromebook for a few months, but when I did all I needed to do was generate the airvpn config using the "Other" category (not android or linux) and then issue the command

sudo stop shill ; sleep 3 ; sudo start shill BLACKLISTED_DEVICES=tun0 ; sleep 3 ; sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0

Just worked.

Hi all, first post. 

Thanks, as soon as I come off my holidays I will be trying that!

Thanks, as soon as I come off my holidays I will be trying that!

Just worked.

Hi all, first post. 

Well, I think I'm getting closer! Unfortunately though, regardless of what I name the file, I always get and error reading it:

Options error: In [CMD-LINE]:1: Error opening configuration file: Downloads/airvpn.ovpn

Any ideas by any chance?

Hi both, many thanks for your help. I'm sorry to be a pain and I am sure that the solution is really simple, but I can't do it!!

Rather than hand holding, I spent hours last night playing around with the code to try and get it working, plus lots and lots of Googling.

Unfortunately to no avail.

I have tried including what I *think* is the full path. Plus I tried inputting cd but am not 100% sure where to include it.

I have included it in various parts of the command but no luck as of yet.

Hi both, many thanks for your help. I'm sorry to be a pain and I am sure that the solution is really simple, but I can't do it!!

Rather than hand holding, I spent hours last night playing around with the code to try and get it working, plus lots and lots of Googling.

Unfortunately to no avail.

I have tried including what I *think* is the full path. Plus I tried inputting cd but am not 100% sure where to include it.

I have included it in various parts of the command but no luck as of yet.

my bash alias.

alias vpn='cd ; sudo stop shill ; sleep 3 ; sudo start shill BLACKLISTED_DEVICES=tun0 ; sleep 3 ; sudo openvpn --mktun --dev tun0 && sudo openvpn --config Downloads/airvpn.ovpn --dev tun0'

'cd' as the first command puts you at your home, so Downloads/airvpn.ovpn should be accessible.  One thing about chromeOS, the full path from shell will probably be /home/chronos/u-ba22d0642f45083e5830222c0a440f05af2908a2/Downloads

That long string will be different for you, but it starts u- , this is why I just put 'cd' to make it less complicated.

Thanks so much for your help. I don't do this very often but....I've given up! I was looking at eventually using Airvpn at router level so today I have bought a years worth of service and I now have my ASUS router running it.

This has brought a huge raft of more questions but rather than hijacking this thread I will search and if need be, start another. 

Many thanks for your help, especially you Duffdack.

Maybe see you in another thread!

The following post appears to indicate that TLS-AUTH can be set via the GUI on a Chromebook...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18TU22gueH5OKYHZVJ5nXuqHnk2GN6nDvfu2Hbrb4YLE/pub

Would this enable the installation of AirVPN on a Chromebook without having to use developer mode?

Sadly, I don't have the skills to really understand and implement it; just hoping that this information can provide the impetus for someone to derive a solution!!!!!

@airvpn Guys with the new law just passed in the US, please consider giving official support to Chromebook. This will open up a huge business for you.