Not connected, Your IP: 54.234.184.8
Megalith

ANSWERED Easiest way to plug DNS leak on Windows 8?

Hi, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but what is the easiest way to prevent DNS leaks on Windows 8? I understand there's a couple of ways to do it, including installation of the Comodo firewall, but I'm not interested in installing additional software unless I have to.

I've read about setting the DNS to 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1, but where exactly do you do that? And is this just as secure as the other methods of preventing leaks? I am actually connected via a router, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Hello,

first, just a clarification to let us answer properly: OpenVPN is running on your router or on the Windows 8 computer?

Kind regards

Hi, I am simply using the Air VPN client on my computer.

I've figured out how to fix the DNS leak... well, kind of. Setting the DNS to 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 works, but only when I am connected to Air VPN. If I go back to my regular IP, I can't access any sites. Is this normal?

Hello!

Yes, that's normal. 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 are VPN DNS IP addresses that your system can reach only when connected to the VPN.

Kind regards

Hi I added the 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 VPN into the dns,  but noticed afterwards once disconnected when I relaunch my AirVPN software it fails to connect.

I need to delete the DNS entry,  and then it launches and connects fine

Did I do something wrong ?

Hello,

you need to edit your hosts file because the Air client needs airvpn.org resolution (when your system is disconnected from the VPN, it can't resolve names via DNS, because 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 are private IP addresses).

Add the lines:

95.211.138.143 airvpn.org
212.117.180.25 airvpn.org

Kind regards