Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.50.220
Sign in to follow this  
hambledonhill

ANSWERED VPN over TOR original ISP IP reported

Hi,

I have been looking at different ways to connect with TOR. In one document (AirVPN site) it stated that if you connect TOR over VPN then AirVPN sees your original IP,  O.K that makes sense. But if you connect VPN over TOR then AirVPN sees the TOR exit node IP, not your original ISP external IP.

O.K when I checked my connection in the client area when connected VPN over TOR the client area reports my original ISP IP...   any ideas or help?

Hi,

I have been looking at different ways to connect with TOR. In one document (AirVPN site) it stated that if you connect TOR over VPN then AirVPN sees your original IP,  O.K that makes sense. But if you connect VPN over TOR then AirVPN sees the TOR exit node IP, not your original ISP external IP.

O.K when I checked my connection in the client area when connected VPN over TOR the client area reports my original ISP IP...   any ideas or help?

Hello!

Your OpenVPN client was not connecting over the TOR proxy.

Kind regards

I have a similar problem.

When I connect to AirVPN over Tor it works fine. The "Client Area" page shows me connecting from Tor and ip-check.info sees only my VPN Exit node.

But when I go to DSNleaktest.com I can see two DNS: The AirVPN Server and MY ORIGINAL INTERNET PROVIDER... how's that possible and how can I fix it?

Hello,

about how that's possible, probably you're running Windows. Windows lacks the concept of global DNS. When Windows needs to send out a DNS query, svchost.exe (a system process running with high privileges that does many things) takes care of it. However, svchost.exe does not always send out the DNS query to the DNS server of the correct network card according to routing table and gateway. Now and then, under certain conditions (some of which are probably unknown to us, while others have been empirically determined) svchost.exe decides to send out DNS queries to the DNS server specified in some other network card, following the routing outside the VPN and causing the DNS leak.

About fixing the DNS leak, you have various options, the quickest is probably forcing 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 as primary and secondary DNS IP addresses in your system physical network card. But please search the forum or look at How-To section for more solutions.

Kind regards

Hello,

about how that's possible, probably you're running Windows. Windows lacks the concept of global DNS. When Windows needs to send out a DNS query, svchost.exe (a system process running with high privileges that does many things) takes care of it. However, svchost.exe does not always send out the DNS query to the DNS server of the correct network card according to routing table and gateway. Now and then, under certain conditions (some of which are probably unknown to us, while others have been empirically determined) svchost.exe decides to send out DNS queries to the DNS server specified in some other network card, following the routing outside the VPN and causing the DNS leak.

About fixing the DNS leak, you have various options, the quickest is probably forcing 10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 as primary and secondary DNS IP addresses in your system physical network card. But please search the forum or look at How-To section for more solutions.

Kind regards

When you say "10.4.0.1 and 10.5.0.1 as primary and secondary DNS IP addresses in your system physical network card."

Do you mean changing the "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" or the LAN / Wireless network card itself?