Not connected, Your IP: 54.81.157.133
Sign in to follow this  
Royee

ANSWERED Question regarding router equiptment and Tomato+ airVPN

Hi I have a netgear adsl router currently using BT broadband connection,  I was wondering if I buy a Asus RT-N16 Cable Router,    can I still install tomato on it and Air VPN on it like many have done so and still get connected this way ?

So essentially I will be connecting my netgear adsl router which gets my broadband to my Asus RT-N16 cable router and then my Asus RT-N16 cable router to my PC getting the AirVPN support ?

Not sure if this is possible...

Why would you even need to connect your Netgear router to the Asus one? Please describe your network setup.

Hi its since the netgear adsl modem router I have has a modem built in to get my BT broadband.

I could get a ADSL modem and get tomatoe support etc but,  I would rather just get a asus modem router which may work will work with cable broadband companies or fiber later on down the road.

So that is why I was thinking perhaps I can bridge the netgear adsl modem to the asus modem router just to use a vpn from the asus router instead.

I guess everyone with airVPN/OpenVPN are all on Cable broadband providers.

Can anyone else please confirm they may have setup a ADSL/DSL (broadband) Modem router and connected it to there normal

router(cable broadband like an Asus RT-N16) and got it to work ?

I googled tomato ADSL routers,  and it does not seem to exist... so I assume my above theory must work otherwise what about UK millions of  ADSL/DSL customers !

Try it out in a bridge config and get back to us here. That's the only way to know for sure.

thanks yeah I think that is the only way possible,   I think since nearly every tomatoe/wrt firmware based router has been just a Router and not designed for ADSL/DSL broadband connections only way to find out is the hard and expensive way !

Only issue is the NT-16 asus routers the best one but its the most trickest one to locate and buy at a good price.

This will take some time,  I almost brought a Asus N55 diamond router yesterday... then ran a quick google and found out it was not tomatoe supported !

By the way anyone wondering just in case,  you can use a ADSL modem and set to bridge mode or modem only mode,  and connect to a tomato router and VPN works fine.

So its not just limited to cable broadband,  but works fine on ADSL broadband also.