Not connected, Your IP: 34.201.69.22
Sign in to follow this  
jd83751

ANSWERED OpenVPN TAP-Windows 8.1 adapter problem

Hello!

I installed windows 8.1 preview just to see how it is and now I am regretting it... I figured that there wouldn't be any program compatibility problems but there is. when I sign into AirVPN on the program and I choose a connection, it will say it is connecting and then it takes me right back to the sign in screen and doesn't even connect. this is my final atempt at trying to fix this issue before I just wait until they release a windows update again hopefully fixing it. I can use the VPN on my phone but I really need it on my computer. I asked microsoft and they told me to head over here. is there anything I could do to try and make it compatible with windows 8.1? I tried running AirVPN and OpenVPN in compatibility but it didn't work. if somebody could help I would greatly appreciate it. thank you!

hello,

I installed OpenVPN and I ran into a problem. In order for OpenVPN to work it needs TAP-Windows adapter but the thing is, it won't show up in the list of adapters like it should. I uninstalled OpenVPN and re-installed OpenVPN many times and it still didn't fix the problem. If somebody could get back to me ASAP I would appreciate it very much!! thank you.

BTW I am running Windows 8.1 and it worked before on Windows 8. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Hello,

this is a report we had from one of our customers (thanks jd83751) running Windows 8.1 Preview, it might be very useful for you too:

"okay I fixed it. somebody helped me out on a microsoft forum. this is what they told me and just in case somebody else has this issue this is what I did.

I went into the "Device Manager", looked for TAP-Windows v9 adapter and uninstalled it. after that I uninstalled OpenVPN. then I went into "Regedit" and deleted this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\NET
after that I re-installed OpenVPN and got it to work. thank you for your time and trying to help me out. hopefully the steps above will help out anyone else that has this problem. thank again for cooperating with me."

Kind regards

Here's something you may need to do:

https://forums.openvpn.net/topic13279.html

From the post:

To the newbies that will follow behind me, here is how I solved the problem :

- granted administrator privileges to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\devcon.exe
- set compatibility mode to "Windows 7" (not sure it was usefull though)
- run C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\deltapall
- run C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\addtap

Still, I have no idea why upgrading Windows failed the device.

Hello,

we have a report according to which OpenVPN 2.3.2 works on Windows 8.1 preview. We are not testing at the moment Windows 8.1 preview but you might like to try anyway.

Kind regards

OpenVPN 2.3.2 -- released on 2013.06.03

I can confirm this for Windows 8.1 Preview for x64 too!

Port forwarding works great! However i had to disable the windows firewall but other then that, Works like a treat!

I ran devcon.exe as admin.

I then set compatibility to Windows 7

From there, I don't even have deltapal or addtapstill in my directory.

(dumb the responses waaaay down if possible).

In the latest release of OpenVPN the script to add an adapter is here:

"C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\addtap.bat"

The script to remove adapters is here:

"C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\deltapall.bat"

On Windows 7 you just right-click and "Run as administrator".

On Windows 7 you just right-click and "Run as administrator".

Again, this is over my head a bit.

I don't understand what "the script to add/remove adapters" means...

Neither "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\addtap.bat" nor "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\deltapall.bat" are anywhere to be found in my directory.

Can someone please dumb this down a bit for me. My membership to this VPN is just being wasted because I can't use it. I sent a message through the help system and haven't heard back.

It's the TAP driver causing my issues during install.

Beyond that, logging in leaves me with 2 issues:

Either I enter my login and pass and I get cycles back to the login again, or, it allows me to connect a server, but it stays on the "connecting" window indefinitely.

This thread is marked solved, but I'm still without a service I'm paying for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello,

this is a report we had from one of our customers (thanks jd83751) running Windows 8.1 Preview, it might be very useful for you too:

"okay I fixed it. somebody helped me out on a microsoft forum. this is what they told me and just in case somebody else has this issue this is what I did.

I went into the "Device Manager", looked for TAP-Windows v9 adapter and uninstalled it. after that I uninstalled OpenVPN. then I went into "Regedit" and deleted this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\NET

after that I re-installed OpenVPN and got it to work. thank you for your time and trying to help me out. hopefully the steps above will help out anyone else that has this problem. thank again for cooperating with me."

Kind regards

Ok, this is getting terribly frustrating. 

In my device manager, there is no TAP-Windows v9 adapter.

I have been running in a circle with the same advice getting passed on from thread to thread, and, my posts take hours to even get administrator approval.  arrggh!

What does this (below) even mean?  What do I do with this information?

I have the same problem with a self made PC running on Windows 8.0 Pro 64 bit. 

When trying to create the TAPs, devcon reports an error:

C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>addtap

C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>rem Add a new TAP virtual ethernet adapter

C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>"C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\devcon.exe" install "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemWin2k.inf" tap0901
Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed...
Updating drivers for tap0901 from C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemWin2k.inf.
devcon.exe failed.

C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>pause

I tried all the tricks I found here and in the openvpn, including reinstallign, removing the registry key. ( Not deletable ), ....

But I see the TAP in the device manager as unknown network device with attribute "hardware-id"  -> "tap0901".
Nevertheless it does not show up in the network connections.

Any ideas ?

(Re-published on this thread for readers' comfort)

@seanconnery

That's totally correct, there is a problem in the driver signature on installer I002 (and maybe on I001 as well): maybe related to expiration on 21-Aug-2013.

I003 solves the problem. We will update our package in the nearest future. EDIT: package was updated In the meantime, those who run Windows and need a new OpenVPN installation can download OpenVPN 2.3.2 with installer I003 on the official OpenVPN community site:

https://openvpn.net/.../downloads.html

Other OS users can ignore this message.

Kind regards