Not connected, Your IP: 34.203.221.104
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Bootis and Cassiopeia migration

Hello,

we have just been informed that Bootis and Cassiopeia will be migrated to a new datacenter. Migration will start at 10 PM GMT+1 28 Jun 2013.

Unfortunately the provider informed us only a few minutes ago about this migration. IP addresses will not change. Scheduled downtime is 4 hours.

If you need a UK server, we strongly recommend that you switch as soon as possible to Carinae or Nashira, in order to avoid unexpected disconnections.

Kind regards

Hello,

migration completed successfully as far as we can see.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and we are quite disappointed that a provider announces such an important procedure with just a few hours pre-warning.

Kind regards

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Tempora surveillance program?

Do you trust your provider?

If you are looking for trust you should use Tor in order to connect to VPN, pay your VPN using Bitcoins and avoid US/UK nodes as much as possible.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

How do this work on a security basis then? If they can do something like that on such short notice, I assume they're not totally under your control?

Are these providers trusted and does AirVPN monitor them, or does AirVPN simply pay for their services?

Is there any chance that these providers can be infiltrated?

#!@root88,

Those providers are just data-centers that have decent ToS and AUP regarding P2P, which is the reason why most people need a VPN for.

Some of them are pretty major and anyone can rent a server there after looking for their offers on WebHostingTalk.

I doubt AirVPN team can monitor them in any way, the only thing that I hope they do is implementing a full-disk-encryption like LUKS/DM-Crypt, where the bootloader

password is entered via IPKVM. This way you can assure that the data-center can only monitor the netflow connections, but not see/backdoor anything on the server itself.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.