Not connected, Your IP: 44.211.91.23
Sign in to follow this  
IvorWormhole

trying to get AirVPN and OpenVPNPortable working

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a installation that doesn't require the permanant installation of OpenVPN on the target systems (Windows 7/8/XP/Vista) and is capable of running completly from a USB stick with little user knowledge or intervention.

So first of all I tried manually Installing OpenVPN and then using AirVPN client then manually uninstalling OpenVPN. This works, but is a real pain as it requires a lot of user interaction and some system knowledge of different.

Next I tried using PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/) and Portable OpenVPN (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ovpnp/) to simplify the installing/uninstalling of OpenVPN. This works if I use a ovpn config file produced by the Config Generator installed in the appropriate place in the PortableApps directory, but doesn't allow the user to choose a particular server ( ala AirVPN client) and is difficult to maintain.

If I try to run AirVPN when portable OpenVPN is installed, it fails to run, showing the 'OpenVPN are required but it has not been detected' error even though OpenVPN is running OK. (like the grammer mistake by the way - should read 'OpenVPN is required but it has not been detected' - singular not plural form ).

It is failing because AirVPN is expecting

• to find an entry for 'OpenVPN.exe' in the task list? portable OpenVPN shows 'OpenVPNPortable.exe' :
  • OpenVPN to be installed on C:\
  • looking for something else?

Any help would be greatfully accepted

Hello!

It's not currently not possible to do that with the Air client 1.8. Use OpenVPN directly. OpenVPNPortable is semi-portable, it will need tun/tap driver installed. Side note: when you launch the Air client, OpenVPN must NOT be running.

Kind regards

It's Ok. I've managed to get them to play nicely together.

I had to hand edit the AirVPN.xml so that the program setting points to the portable OpenVPN location.

I'm now in the process of rebuilding a modified version of the portable launcher to automatically start AIRVPN.EXE instead of the OpenVPN gui.

Once I've completed it. I'll post some instructions on how to perform the mod if anyone's interested.