Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.55.154
Sign in to follow this  
snoodlehouse

ANSWERED Getting some (but not all) devices on a tomato router to use VPN

I have a Roku streaming device that I use for Hulu and Netflix. I would prefer that device to not use AirVPN. First, Hulu requires a connection from the US and I'm in the US. Second, I get better speeds without the VPN and I don't want to limit my streaming performance. I don't really care about my Hulu and Netflix data being anonymized.

All of my devices use WiFi but the Roku is on ethernet.

I've searched on iptables but it can get pretty confusing. This may be more of a question for a Tomato forum, but would anybody be able to offer some advice?

Would making the Roku a DMZ work? Would that be a security risk?

Hello!

It's possible with policy routing, Tomato supports policy routing.

Detect the IP address of the Roku device (i.e. the local IP address whose traffic you do NOT want to be tunneled), all your Tomato interfaces names (for example tun11, br0...) and follow this:

http://serverfault.com/questions/382498/howto-only-tunnel-specific-hosts-route-through-openvpn-client-on-tomato

In the above thread, jump directly to the last answer by grdnkln, it's probably the most elegant solution (anyway also the solution proposed by Quint works, according to one of our customers report).

Security/privacy/anonymity threat with split traffic may become a complex affair, but as long as you keep strictly separated identities on different devices there's no serious risk. Keeping separate identities in this context means that you never mix accounts, traffic, data... between the Roku device and the devices which, on the contrary, are tunneled.

Kind regards

I will probably try it out tomorrow.

When you talk about keeping separated identities  Do you mean if I use the same account for Hulu on my tunneled iPhone and my non-tunneled Roku: someone with access to the Hulu logs could deduce the real IP of my router? I'll keep that in mind.

I will probably try it out tomorrow.

When you talk about keeping separated identities  Do you mean if I use the same account for Hulu on my tunneled iPhone and my non-tunneled Roku: someone with access to the Hulu logs could deduce the real IP of my router? I'll keep that in mind.

Hello!

Yes. Be careful of correlations.

Kind regards

This is still interesting from an academic standpoint, but I probably don't need to try this. My ISP was throttling port 443. Now that I've fixed that I'm not as concerned with having enough bandwidth for video streaming. Thanks