Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.75.227
Sign in to follow this  
jimdasaint

AirVPN speedtest indicates slow connection

Hi,

I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8 and OpenVPN for connection. I have selected nearby servers in closest distance. I also have my torrent port forwarded to 41380.
I use uTorrent 1.8.1 on the Mac with TCP connection beause uTorrent only seems to actively seed while having TCP connection. With the UDP connection it was simply not actively seeding back downloads because port forwarding only worked with TCP in the Mac version of uTorrent.

Without having an active VPN connection, I get around 20-22 Mbs download from my service provider and about 6 Mbs upload speed.

When I am testing the AirVPN server speedtest on my client page while actively connected it indicates only 2 to 2.4 Mbs download speed and about the same upload speed.

My torrent connections are also only downloading with no more than 300-500 Kbs all together. This seems to be a great drop in performance.

While I undersatnd that the VPN connection with the additional encryption and server access will slow down things, I still find it almost unacceptable that it drops to more than 10% of my original connection speed.

When I have started using AirVPN about 6 months ago as a first time user, I was able to get 1.5-2 Mbs download speed (not great but workable), lately in the past few months it has been changed to this dismal slow speed.

What is the cause and how can it be improved?

Thanks

Hello!

In the last 6 months we have been able to provide even more bandwidth per client with the addition of many servers, so the problem is not in our infrastructure. As a first test, you should try connections to different ports to verify whether your ISP has started port shaping.

Kind regards