Not connected, Your IP: 54.198.200.128

ANSWERED Connecting to trackers fails from different servers

I tried to tunnel the connection to the tracker through a SSH SOCKS Proxy, which didn't work out. Connection refused, administratively prohibited, connection timed out.

While using Deluge on a headless machine via webinterface I don't get any DHT knots or connections to trackers since four days, when connected to Virginis.

4) Modern DHT, additionally empowered by PEX, has rendered Bittorrent trackers obsolete and mostly useless, as well as magnet links have rendered torrent files totally useless.

How do I increase or initially use the DHT knots on my server (DHT is enabled in Deluge), so I don't have to rely on trackers. When downloading without VPN, I get lots of connections to DHT knots...

I tried to tunnel the connection to the tracker through a SSH SOCKS Proxy, which didn't work out. Connection refused, administratively prohibited, connection timed out.

While using Deluge on a headless machine via webinterface I don't get any DHT knots or connections to trackers since four days, when connected to Virginis.

4) Modern DHT, additionally empowered by PEX, has rendered Bittorrent trackers obsolete and mostly useless, as well as magnet links have rendered torrent files totally useless.

How do I increase or initially use the DHT knots on my server (DHT is enabled in Deluge), so I don't have to rely on trackers. When downloading without VPN, I get lots of connections to DHT knots...

You have not really explained your set up, other than to mention SOCKS. SOCKS is of no real use for bittorrent. Most torrent clients do not support incoming connections using SOCKS. What client are you using? And certainly AirVPN does not support forwarded connections when using the SSH SOCKS proxy. Nowhere do they suggest that using a SOCKS proxy is appropriate. You have to run OpenVPN over SSH. And they say do not use SSH at all unless direct OpenVPN will not work.

Also see these:

http://forum.vuze.com/thread.jspa?threadID=118025

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=69734

DHT and SOCKS do not mix.

DHT and SOCKS do not mix.

Yes, I really didn't explain my setup. I use a headless ARCH Linux Server with Deluge as a torrent client. The server connects only to Virginis via OpenVPN UDP:443 and is reachable via remote forwarded ports and by LAN. Deluge is managed by the webUI.

What I wanted to say is, that I tried to let Deluge connect to the tracker through a SSH SOCKS Proxy which has been reached through the tunnel. The thought was, that openbittorrent would recognize only the IP of the SOCKS Proxy. Well this doesn't work.

Nonetheless, I still have the Problem of adding new torrents, which don't find any seeders or peers when connected through the VPN, for a long time. Than for no apparent reason, DHT knots pop up and the download starts with the usual speed, like being not connected via the tunnel. How do I "encourage" Deluge to find appropriate DHT knots?

EDIT: I discovered how to find DHT knots. Add the connection IP of the VPN-Server instead of your own internal tunnel-IP to the Network Interface in Deluge. The big disadvantage is though, all speeds drop to nearly ZERO. The upload was using the full potential ~1000kb/s and dropped now to something between 5 and 60kb/s. Isn't there a way in the middle?

I'm being blocked from Tauri at:

tracker.ccc.de:80

tracker.istole.it:6969

tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

tracker.publicbt.com:80

I am seeing all traffic blocked to:

tracker.openbittorrent.com

tracker.ccc.de

tracker.istole.it

tracker.publicbt.com

as if 04:38 GMT -5 Sep 3 2013

tracker.ccc.de

tracker.istole.it

tracker.publicbt.com

Same as well. 9/Sep/2013.. all udp traffic timing out from Manassas datacenters and Jacksonville

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce
udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80
udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80
udp://tracker.istole.it:80
udp://open.demonii.com:80
udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:80
udp://tracker.ccc.de:80

tracker.ccc.de

tracker.istole.it

tracker.publicbt.com

Same as well. 9/Sep/2013.. all udp traffic timing out from Manassas datacenters and Jacksonville

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce
udp://tracker.istole.it:80/announce
udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80
udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80
udp://tracker.istole.it:80
udp://open.demonii.com:80
udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:80
udp://tracker.ccc.de:80

Seems like those are blocked on Ophiuchi too

Most of the trackers used on piratebay and kat.ph are blocked

I wonder why.

I thought they would be PRO anonymity and net neutrality

Guest Chaf

I am using transmission on a NL server with DHT and PEX enabled. 

I do see that most if not all trackers are not reachable but as mentionned above, with DHT and PEX available it hasn't been a problem for me ;-)

As a side note: There is no need to be connected to thousands of peers as with our average home DSL connection, we don't need more than:

o 45-50 peers/torrent for downloading

o 4-5 peers /torrent to upload to

o a maximum of 140-150 peers for all active torrents which shouldn't exceed 5.

More information here : http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404

I only gett crappy speeds without the rest of the trackers

Any way Air can get us unblocked from the piratebay and kat.ph trackers stated above?

thanks

open.demonii.com:1337 also blocked now

Seems like that's all the piratebay trackers

open.demonii.com:1337 also blocked now

Seems like that's all the piratebay trackers :(

Hello,

we'll be working on that. Reasons for which trackers administrator blacklist entire datacenters may also be "good" (mitigation of torrent poisoning, for example). We kindly remind you, anyway, that you should use DHT. We have gathered a remarkable amount of evidence that proves that, nowadays, trackers are harmful, because it's easy to quickly announce multiple, fake IP addresses and ports on hundreds of trackers, and because © trolls fabricate notices based on trackers IP harvesting.

Kind regards

Torrenting is becoming pretty problematic lately, constantly getting blocked from trackers.  It gets "fixed" for 12 hours or so then get blocked again.

udp://tracker.publichd.eu/announce

udp://tracker.1337x.org:80/announce

http://fr33dom.h33t.com:3310/announce

Above are the latest trackers I can't connect to.

Torrenting is becoming pretty problematic lately, constantly getting blocked from trackers.  It gets "fixed" for 12 hours or so then get blocked again.

Hello!

That's interesting, we have not done anything in the last days about trackers. From which server(s) have you noticed that the mentioned trackers are only intermittently reachable?

Anyway, as a side question, why do you need public trackers? They are not only useless (thanks to DHT+PEX) but also harmful.

Kind regards

I do not get DHT + PEX with out a tracker starting the flow of data to me 

Hello,

do you mean that your client does not support DHT?

Kind regards

I do not get DHT + PEX with out a tracker starting the flow of data to me

What client is it? I believe deluge has indeed had issues with DHT bootstrapping because there are no bootstrap nodes associated with the deluge project. So people sometimes had to "manually" boot strap DHT:

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41249

That is not necessarily the best link to get help from. I just did a quick search trying to see what the current situation is. I do not use deluge. It was a quite a while ago that I looked into this.

I believe the simplest way to get DHT going if there is a problem is to get momentarily involved in downloading a torrent that supports DHT which has a good swarm using a tracker. You then pickup DHT peers to bootstrap from from other peers in the swarm. Various Linux distros would probably do. Once DHT is going you can stop it and release the disk space.

Hello!

That's interesting, we have not done anything in the last days about trackers. From which server(s) have you noticed that the mentioned trackers are only intermittently reachable?

Anyway, as a side question, why do you need public trackers? They are not only useless (thanks to DHT+PEX) but also harmful.

Kind regards

Sorry forgot to include server info in original post but due to probationary period I couldn't edit it right away.  The issues are only there when I am connecting from USA servers, if I switch to anywhere but the USA the problem goes away.  Even with DHT there was no traffic passing through, couldn't connect to a single peer...with any torrent.  And I always use magnet links but just posted the tracker info that is inevitably there as possible relavent info.  Thanks for the response.

Hello!

Kind regards

Sorry forgot to include server info in original post but due to probationary period I couldn't edit it right away.  The issues are only there when I am connecting from USA servers, if I switch to anywhere but the USA the problem goes away.  Even with DHT there was no traffic passing through, couldn't connect to a single peer...with any torrent.  And I always use magnet links but just posted the tracker info that is inevitably there as possible relavent info.  Thanks for the response.

I can confirm this is still an issue.. All the typical piratebay trackers were blocked tonight from Manassas, Virginia. However, I could connect to netherlands and at least get the peers, then I reconnected to USA to finish.. Not optimal, but it works.

I recently learned on a forum at a private tracker site that I belong that that tracker blocks Tor exit nodes from their IRC service. And one of the Canadian servers (I do not know which one) is apparently a Tor exit node.

I wonder if there is any chance that the operators of the TPB-related trackers don't like Tor, and the affected servers are being used as Tor exit nodes. This is just a speculation. I have no idea how to check this. I know very little about Tor.

UPDATE:

I saw on the IRC at Feral Hosting today that they are also being blocked by OpenBittorrent et al. So the Tor idea is probably a red herring.

They have sent E-mails and gotten no response.

I'm getting the following message for all my torrents in Deluge on Linux (connected to either Heze or Persei), which just started happening today and results in No Incoming Connections. Everything was working wonderfully before now:

openbittorrent.com: Warning: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (udp://tracker.ccc.de:80) warning: the tracker only resolves to an IPv6  address, and you're listening on an IPv4 socket. This may prevent you from receiving incoming connections.

Is this related to the problems discussed here?

It just turns out that my forward port doesn't work anymore and I had to create a new one. I'll address that elsewhere as a different issue. But I'm still getting the above message and those torrents aren't functioning.

My particular issue seems to have resolved itself. The torrents started back up without errors on their own after a while.

Posted ... (edited)

I just get "Connecting to peers" for hours from Ophiuchi.

Nothing happens. Peer exchange and all that enabled. Worked a week ago

Edited ... by ZPKZ