Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.139.122
NaDre

ANSWERED Guide to Setting Up VPN Just for Torrenting on Windows

So I followed this guide and I don't really understand what is going on.  All it has done is make it so my uTorrent only works when connected to a specific AirVPN server.  All of my web browsing and such still goes through the VPN though.  If I disconnect from AirVPN my torrents stop.  I reconnect and they start again, but now Whatsmyip.org shows that I'm connected to the VPN.

You have to do the final step where you add the routing table entries with a "Netmask" of 192.0.0.0.

@set GATEWAY=192.168.1.254
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route add 64.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route add 128.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%
route add 192.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %GATEWAY%

Except instead of 192.168.1.254 it should be whatever your default gateway is.

You either missed this step out, or made some error. Do "route print" in a command window. There must be routing table entries with a "Netmask" of "192.0.0.0" that match the original routing table entry with a mask of "0.0.0.0" (i.e. same "Gateway").

Awesome that was exactly the problem.  I forgot to change the 254 at the end when I copy pasted.  Working like a charm now.  

Very nice guide and thank you for the help with my problem.  

Hi,

Thanks for the great guide.

The images are still missing and I am unable to download the zipped HTML file either. Please help.

I can attempt the manual without the screenshots, but would be much easier with them.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

The images are still missing and I am unable to download the zipped HTML file either. Please help.

I can attempt the manual without the screenshots, but would be much easier with them.

Thanks a lot

I am reluctant to change the guide to point at images somewhere else, because it is a lot of work, given the image names on such services will be completely different, and maybe even 32 random characters or something. If AirVPN provide hosting for images, then I might do it.

Previously, above I had posted a link to Bayfiles, a Pirate Bay affiliate that allowed zip files to be shared. But Bayfiles has apparently died. So I have put the same file on Mega:

Guide_to_Setting_Up_VPN_Just_for_Torrenting_on_Windows.zip

It contains the images, an HTML-only version of the guide and the BB ("Bulletin Board") code for the guide. Hopefully it will do.

Edit:

Also, it appears that archive.org backed this up a couple of times:

https://web.archive.org/web/...

The April 3, 2015 version seems to work OK.

Edit 2:

I have just realized that the images ARE NOT MISSING at imageshack. This is a bug in the forum software here at AirVPN.

If you get yourself a user ID for this forum, and use the "Quote" button, then in "Preview" mode you will see the images.

Edit 3:

There is an alternative version of this guide here:

https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki

Looks like you did an extensive research on that, thanks.

As a side note, it is always better to link to an external resource that you own when making such guides.

Some place you can quickly edit the content or add new material, wiki or html page on github is a good place to host it.

This will save you plently of time editing topics on each forum you posted it on, and also saves bandwidth for users

that just want to read the topic but not load all external images by default

Regards

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have downloaded the guided, cheers, btw the images show on the forum as well now. strange.

I have a couple more questions relating to the guide.

- What are your thoughts on implementing this in a VM (virtual PC in my case)? Will this leak any vital information? This will make the setting more portable to more around without having to set this up from scratch.

- What are your thoughts on saving openVPN client credentials in a text file to avoid having to retype it every time, ie using (auth-user-pass pass.txt)?

Thanks for all the help

Hi,

Thanks a lot

I am reluctant to change the guide to point at images somewhere else, because it is a lot of work, given the image names on such services will be completely different, and maybe even 32 random characters or something. If AirVPN provide hosting for images, then I might do it.

Previously, above I had posted a link to Bayfiles, a Pirate Bay affiliate that allowed zip files to be shared. But Bayfiles has apparently died. So I have put the same file on Mega:

Guide_to_Setting_Up_VPN_Just_for_Torrenting_on_Windows.zip

It contains the images, an HTML-only version of the guide and the BB ("Bulletin Board") code for the guide. Hopefully it will do.

Edit:

Also, it appears that archive.org backed this up a couple of times:

https://web.archive.org/web/...

The April 3, 2015 version seems to work OK.

Edit 2:

I have just realized that the images ARE NOT MISSING at imageshack. This is a bug in the forum software here at AirVPN.

If you get yourself a user ID for this forum, and use the "Quote" button, then in "Preview" mode you will see the images.

Edit 3:

There is an alternative version of this guide here:

https://github.com/tool-maker/VPN_just_for_torrents/wiki

- What are your thoughts on implementing this in a VM (virtual PC in my case)? Will this leak any vital information? This will make the setting more portable to more around without having to set this up from scratch.

Many people do use a VM. It reduces the possibility of a client program (e.g. browser) spying on your machine and reporting the information it finds.

But I think many people try this approach with torrenting in mind, simply because they do not want to have to use the VPN for everything in their normal usage. When they do this, since they intend to use their host system for most things, and the VM only for torrenting, there is no need for a set up like the one described here on the VM.

But for someone not familiar with VM-s, this is a steep learning curve. Steeper I think than getting through my guide. And you will find that there are lots of issues with sharing file systems between the VM and your host system, if you have any intention of seeding back what you download for any length of time (as those on private trackers generally need to).

- What are your thoughts on saving openVPN client credentials in a text file to avoid having to retype it every time, ie using (auth-user-pass pass.txt)?

You do not need to type anything "every time" with the set up described in the guide.

Is this an issue with using the AirVPN client program? I do not use that. I am the wrong person to ask.

You could use the AirVPN client program for this instead of the standard OpenVPN client program if you want.

But you could not use "network lock". And I do not know what other features of the AirVPN client would be of much help to you when your intention is not to use the VPN for anything but torrenting.

I don't do this but it would be pretty easy to set up.

1.) Get VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

2.) Install Windows XP SP 3 (easily available) into a virtualbox instance, it's easy to do and follow the on screen prompts you just need the install disk (if you have an image and don't want to burn a cd, use http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/ and mount the disk) with a couple gb of ram and some disk space allocated (fixed disk is faster)

3.) Install the AirVPN client in the VM

4.) Configure a shared folder with VirtualBox to move files back and forth or use ftp if you're paranoid about it getting infected and spreading via the share.

5.) Install qBittorrent http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php in the VM which has built in search and is the best client I've ever used.

I know this is an unusual request NaDre but I'm still having problems after following your instructions completely and torrents will not download now. Would you be willing to connect through a remote session with teamviewer and check the config of everything? 

I know this is an unusual request NaDre but I'm still having problems after following your instructions completely and torrents will not download now. Would you be willing to connect through a remote session with teamviewer and check the config of everything?

Proverb: "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

I have no plans to start giving away fish.

Have you tried using Microsoft's Process Explorer program to watch what is going on while downloading the Ubuntu desktop torrent, as suggested in the guide?

What interface does Process Explorer show uTorrent listening on? Is it the VPN IP address? If so, is it correct? Have you changed the AirVPN server you are using since you configured uTorrent with the VPN IP address? If so it will have changed. In the screen shots you first posted, the download seemed to be working, although you had mo incoming connections.

Great Guide! For me, it was the perfect mix of challenging yet readable. I am getting one "problem" though.  When I try to suspend the VPN, I get the following error for my torrents tracker status. 

Error: Offline - SocketException: Permission denied: connect
However, this doesn't seem to affect my torrent as it is happily transferring but the error message remains. If I remove the 64.0.0.0 route in the table then the error goes away. Specifically, removing this line makes the error go away. 

Also, off topic. When going to http://whatismyipaddress.com/, I'm still see my old IP address until I open a new session. This doesn't seem right because I'm specifically browsing in incognito mode (no cookies,tracking,etc.) to do this testing. It seems like Windows may be caching the routing table in memory for individual processes.

Sorry for interfering with this thread, but i want to add my 2 cents:

I would ditch the uTorrent - Client in favor for qBittorrent. There you can limit your VPN connection to the TUN / TAP interface very comfortly in the advanced settings. No need to fiddle around with routing tables and uTorrent.

Plus, it is available for Linux and Windows and it's open source and no ads do come with it.

http://www.qbittorrent.org

Once again, sorry for hijacking the thread but i felt compelled to to so... 

Regards

Fox

Error: Offline - SocketException: Permission denied: connect
However, this doesn't seem to affect my torrent as it is happily transferring but the error message remains. If I remove the 64.0.0.0 route in the table then the error goes away. Specifically, removing this line makes the error go away. 

Also, off topic. When going to http://whatismyipaddress.com/, I'm still see my old IP address until I open a new session. This doesn't seem right because I'm specifically browsing in incognito mode (no cookies,tracking,etc.) to do this testing. It seems like Windows may be caching the routing table in memory for individual processes.

The error message suggests that you have fallen back to using the default gateway, but that is then blocked by the firewall. Are you sure you have put the correct address in the client (uTorrent?) config?

If the peer you are downloading from has an address in the 64.0.0.0/192.0.0.0 subnet, then removing the routing table entry would put that traffic back on the VPN, and avoid the firewall block. Have you tried watching what is happening using Process Explorer to see for sure what interface is being used?

When you have inserted the routing table entries with the 192.0.0.0 mask, you will be browsing using the real gateway. So of course whatismyipaddress will show your real IP address.

No need to fiddle around with routing tables ...

The reason for the routing table changes is so you can browse using the real interface while the torrent client uses the VPN. Are you suggesting the qBittorrent somehow takes care of that too?

And you still need to ensure that the firewall is letting incoming connections in for the VPN interface.

And even if qBittorrent attempts to ensure only the configured interface is used for torrent traffic (does it? Vuze does.), I think it would be wise to  configure the firewall to block qBittorrent from using the real interface.

So qBittorrent saves you from having to reconfigure the client when you change servers. And that is all.

===

If anyone is looking for an alternative to uTorrent and Vuze, and does not like qBittorrent either, Deluge can also be used within this framework. But Deluge requires the IP address of the VPN interface rather than the name of the interface, like uTorrent. It appears to me that Deluge is more widely accepted as an allowed client by private trackers than qBittorrent.

No need to fiddle around with routing tables ...

The reason for the routing table changes is so you can browse using the real interface while the torrent client uses the VPN. Are you suggesting the qBittorrent somehow takes care of that too?

And you still need to ensure that the firewall is letting incoming connections in for the VPN interface.

And even if qBittorrent attempts to ensure only the configured interface is used for torrent traffic (does it? Vuze does.), I think it would be wise to  configure the firewall to block qBittorrent from using the real interface.

So qBittorrent saves you from having to reconfigure the client when you change servers. And that is all.

===

If anyone is looking for an alternative to uTorrent and Vuze, and does not like qBittorrent either, Deluge can also be used within this framework. But Deluge requires the IP address of the VPN interface rather than the name of the interface, like uTorrent. It appears to me that Deluge is more widely accepted as an allowed client by private trackers than qBittorrent.

Would establishing a tunnel from a virtual machine then running the torrent client from the vm provide a less advanced end user similar functionality?

Would establishing a tunnel from a virtual machine then running the torrent client from the vm provide a less advanced end user similar functionality?

Above I said, "But for someone not familiar with VM-s, this is a steep learning curve. Steeper I think than getting through my guide."

Let me try to provide some support for my opinion. Lots of people have mentioned in various threads here about using a VM. But go into "General & Suggestions" and click "Most Viewed".

Above I said, "But for someone not familiar with VM-s, this is a steep learning curve. Steeper I think than getting through my guide."

Let me try to provide some support for my opinion. Lots of people have mentioned in various threads here about using a VM. But go into "General & Suggestions" and click "Most Viewed".

Ah, missed that :-) Was curious- I do not use vm's for tunneling anyway. I setup old hosts in another segment for specific processes. I suppose that puts me in the minority since I haven't viewed many posts about that. ;-)

The reason for the routing table changes is so you can browse using the real interface while the torrent client uses the VPN. 

Great guide and that's what i was looking for, but as I am not a real networking expert I have a question:

What are the caveats If I follow the guide to the letter but don't modify the utorrent options (i.e. not changing the net.bound_ip etc.).

The firewall will make sure that only the VPN interface is used for torrenting and I will be able to use the default interface for everything else. The firewall will also block utorrent from using the default interface and disallow incoming connections going through the same in case the VPN connection is broken. I won't need to change the routing entries either when I am connected to a different AirVpn server.

Is there any potential problems that I can not see with this setup?, or do i have to have the utorrent modifications done for 100% safety?

Thanks

What are the caveats If I follow the guide to the letter but don't modify the utorrent options (i.e. not changing the net.bound_ip etc.).

The firewall will make sure that only the VPN interface is used for torrenting and I will be able to use the default interface for everything else. The firewall will also block utorrent from using the default interface and disallow incoming connections going through the same in case the VPN connection is broken.

Is there any potential problems that I can not see with this setup?, or do i have to have the utorrent modifications done for 100% safety?

If you don't modify the uTorrent parameters, then when the default gateway is in place, uTorrent will try to use that for outgoing traffic, and be blocked by the firewall.

It would probably be enough to modify only the "net.outgoing_ip" parameter, since uTorrent will be listening for incoming connections from any interface.

===

If you really want to avoid reconfiguring uTorrent when you change servers, you could try using using ForceBindIP:

https://airvpn.org/topic/16273-use-airvpn-only-for-selected-programs/

I played with it again after reading the second post there by zerothlaw. The original ForceBindIP site is here:

http://old.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

It does seem to work (almost, see below) for 32-bit applications running on 64-bit systems, except that the file BindIP.dll needs to go in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, rather than C:\Windows\System32.

I said ForceBindIP "almost" works because I was not able to get it to pass a parameter to uTorrent. I use the "/recover" parameter to uTorrent.

ForceBindIP also worked with Deluge, except again, I could not get a parameter passed through.

To be clear, for the purpose here you would need to note this blurb from the ForceBindIP site:

"To find out the GUID of your interface, run regedit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces. Find the interface which has the dynamic address and then copy the key name."

===

My solution to having to reconfigure uTorrent was to modify the OpenVPN client so that I can override the IP address used on the interface:

https://airvpn.org/topic/15287-split-tunnelling-for-torrent-protocol/?p=31955

https://airvpn.org/topic/14314-static-internal-ip/?p=28045

If you don't modify the uTorrent parameters, then when the default gateway is in place, uTorrent will try to use that for outgoing traffic, and be blocked by the firewall.

Thank you very much for the reply, indeed that's what it seemed to happen when I tried. I will have to try your suggestions and see what happens. If worse comes to worse I can always use Vuse instead.

Thank you very much for the reply, indeed that's what it seemed to happen when I tried. I will have to try your suggestions and see what happens. If worse comes to worse I can always use Vuse instead.

Vuze is not well accepted by private trackers.

I did a bit more googling and playing with this.

I mentioned that I pass parameters to uTorrent and Deluge when I start them (to do with allowing multiple instances) and that ForceBindIP.exe would not let me pass parameters (it seems that leading "/" or "-" is related to this issue).  I found an alternative way to inject the BindIP.dll DLL. To keep this brief, I will give a few links relevant to this and then a recipe.

The links:

http://old.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Download the file ForceBindIP-1.2a.zip.

https://code.google.com/p/injector/

Download the file newloaderv4.1.exe.

http://superuser.com/questions/1004697/bind-application-to-a-specific-network-interface

This is where I learned about the FORCEDIP environment variable.

https://github.com/blole/injectory

An attempt to continue the "injector" project above that has been frozen by Google. No binary downloads there though.

Edit:

I was mistaken. There are releases:

https://github.com/blole/injectory/releases.

But I used the old version.

Now the recipe (modify to suit taste):

1) Create a folder called C:\BindIP.

2) Into C:\BindIP place the file BindIP.dll from ForceBindIP-1.2a.zip and the file newloaderv4.1.exe.

3) Create a ".bat" file with this in it:

@rem scan routing table to get VPN gateway address and address of VPN gateway interface
@rem echo %~n0%~x0
@set temp_file_route=%TEMP%\%~n0%~X0_temp.txt
@rem echo %temp_file_route%
@route print | findstr /r /c:" 128\.0\.0\.0 *128\.0\.0\.0 " | findstr /v /l /c:" On-link " > %temp_file_route%
@rem echo default gateway entry from routing table:
@rem type %temp_file_route%
@for /f "tokens=3,4" %%a in (%temp_file_route%) do @set GATEWAY_GW=%%a & set GATEWAY_IP=%%b
@erase %temp_file_route%
@rem echo gateway: %GATEWAY_GW%
@rem echo address: %GATEWAY_IP%

set FORCEDIP=%GATEWAY_IP%
@echo starting uTorrent bound to %FORCEDIP% ...
"C:\BindIP\newloaderv4.1.exe" --lib "C:\BindIP\BindIP.dll" --launch "C:\download_P2P\exe\utorrent.exe" --args "utorrent.exe /recover"
@pause

Your installation of uTorrent will probably be somewhere else, and you will probably want to remove the "/recover" option.

For Deluge the ".bat" file could be this:

@rem scan routing table to get VPN gateway address and address of VPN gateway interface
@rem echo %~n0%~x0
@set temp_file_route=%TEMP%\%~n0%~X0_temp.txt
@rem echo %temp_file_route%
@route print | findstr /r /c:" 128\.0\.0\.0 *128\.0\.0\.0 " | findstr /v /l /c:" On-link " > %temp_file_route%
@rem echo default gateway entry from routing table:
@rem type %temp_file_route%
@for /f "tokens=3,4" %%a in (%temp_file_route%) do @set GATEWAY_GW=%%a & set GATEWAY_IP=%%b
@erase %temp_file_route%
@rem echo gateway: %GATEWAY_GW%
@rem echo address: %GATEWAY_IP%

set FORCEDIP=%GATEWAY_IP%
@echo starting Deluge bound to %FORCEDIP% ...
"C:\BindIP\newloaderv4.1.exe" --lib "C:\BindIP\BindIP.dll" --launch "C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\deluge.exe" --args "deluge.exe --config \"C:\download_P2P\deluge\config\""
@pause

Most people probably will not want the "--config ..." option for Deluge.

If you want to understand the stuff at the start of these scripts these links may help:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754340.aspx

ttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758944%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

ttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772622%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755880(v=ws.10).aspx

Update:

More googling. I have not played with this yet, but perhaps this will be a successor to BindIP.dll:

https://github.com/katlogic/bindip

Hello!  I have just overcome a frustrating problem that I encountered with this procedure, and I thought I'd share:

On both my Windows 7 64 server and my on Windows 7 64 laptop, after installing OpenVPN and configuring port forwarding, uTorrent could not establish incoming connections (red status icon, no 'I' peer flags).  The connection check in AirVPN's Client Area -> Forwarded Ports showed a gray icon (timeout error), and uTorrent's built-in connection test failed.

My server motherboard has two embedded network cards, only one of which I use, and I have TeamViewer installed with their proprietary VPN service.  I uninstalled OpenVPN (possibly optional), then in device manager I uninstalled the driver (properties -> driver -> uninstall) for the unused network card, disabled the now unrecognized device, and disabled the logical VPN network card created by TeamViewer, and then I reinstalled OpenVPN.  Afterwards, connected to AirVPN, uTorrent connected normally with good bandwidth and all tests passed.  I reenabled the TeamViewer logical card without negative effect, and I left the unrecognized auxiliary embedded network card disabled.  It should be noted here that the TeamViewer logical VPN network card and the OpenVPN logical card BOTH identified as "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3" in ipconfig, which points to some conflict between the two logical cards.

On the laptop, the Wifi connection was considered to be a PUBLIC connection by Windows firewall.  I unticked the "Block all incoming connections..." option in start -> Windows Firewall -> Turn Windows Firewall on or off (NOT start -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security), and uTorrent behaved normally.  The TeamViewer logical card created no conflics on this system, which has only one physical network card, pointing to the auxiliary network card on the server as a contributing factor in the device conflict with the TeamViewer logical VPN network card.

This takes me back to the days of IRQ conflicts on ISA boards!

I hope this helps somebody.  Thanks for the great howto!  On with the procedure....

everything works so far for me i am having trouble with the suspend and restore bat files. as far as i can tell i am using the proper gateway but it responds wiith an error

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]

© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>@set gateway=192.168.0.1

C:\Windows\system32>route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %gateway%
The route deletion failed: Element not found.
 my suspend bat file looks like 

@set GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
@pause

but looking at my route print page i see

C:\Windows\system32>route print
===========================================================================
Interface List
 11...94 de 80 ce 2c da ......Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  4...06 1a ef 41 21 a5 ......Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
  5...02 1a ef 41 21 a5 ......Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
  9...00 ff cf a6 66 75 ......TAP-Windows Adapter V9
 10...00 1a ef 41 21 a5 ......802.11n Wireless LAN Card
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
  7...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
  3...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  2...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1     192.168.0.12     25
          0.0.0.0        128.0.0.0         10.4.0.1       10.4.47.63     20
         10.4.0.0      255.255.0.0         On-link        10.4.47.63    276
       10.4.47.63  255.255.255.255         On-link        10.4.47.63    276
     10.4.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link        10.4.47.63    276
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        128.0.0.0        128.0.0.0         10.4.0.1       10.4.47.63     20
      192.168.0.0    255.255.255.0         On-link      192.168.0.12    281
     192.168.0.12  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.12    281
    192.168.0.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.12    281
     199.19.94.19  255.255.255.255      192.168.0.1     192.168.0.12     25
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link      192.168.0.12    281
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link        10.4.47.63    276
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      192.168.0.12    281
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link        10.4.47.63    276
Persistent Routes:
  None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
 If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
  3    306 ::/0                     On-link
  1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
  3    306 2001::/32                On-link
  3    306 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:18af:3aaf:5d24:4ffc/128
                                    On-link
 10    281 fe80::/64                On-link
  9    276 fe80::/64                On-link
  3    306 fe80::/64                On-link
  3    306 fe80::18af:3aaf:5d24:4ffc/128
                                    On-link
 10    281 fe80::7cf7:d169:d768:463a/128
                                    On-link
  9    276 fe80::dcdc:146d:72b3:881c/128
                                    On-link
  1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
 10    281 ff00::/8                 On-link
  3    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
  9    276 ff00::/8                 On-link
Persistent Routes:

None 

im not sure what im doing wrong here please advise

C:\Windows\system32>route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 192.0.0.0 %gateway%

The route deletion failed: Element not found.

So you must have run the restore script? The suspend script has "add" commands, not "delete" commands.

my suspend bat file looks like 

@set GATEWAY=192.168.0.1

@pause

The "route deletion failed" message could not have come from running the suspend script, since there is no "delete" in there. Have you gotten the roles of these two scripts reversed?

Be sure that you run the script with the "add" commands, then look at the routing table.

It is the VPN that is being suspended or restored, in my naming scheme for the scripts, not the real gateway. You can just reverse the naming of the scripts if that makes more sense to you.

I have a question about this.  While uTorrent 3.0 will not bind to an interface, 'the net.bind_ip' and 'net.outgoing_ip' settings will accept '10.4.0.0/16' as specified input.  With these settings, uTorrent connects normally.  With the VPN disconnected, uTorrent fails to find any trackers or make incoming connections.  This seems to be the desired behavior.  Where is the flaw in this plan?  Thanks!

EDIT:  I had not suspended the native gateway as NaDre surmises below.

I have a question about this.  While uTorrent 3.0 will not bind to an interface, 'the net.bind_ip' and 'net.outgoing_ip' settings will accept '10.4.0.0/16' as specified input.  With these settings, uTorrent connects normally.  With the VPN disconnected, uTorrent fails to find any trackers or make incoming connections.  This seems to be the desired behavior.  Where is the flaw in this plan?  Thanks!

I use uTorrent 2.2.1. My experience with later releases is very problematic. And many private trackers do not allow uTorrent releases later than 2.2.1. I am pretty sure that I tried this with 2.2.1 and it did not work.

If you say it works for later releases, I will have to take your word for it.

Did you use Processor Explorer to check what interface is being used?

And did you have the VPN "suspended"? That is, real/original gateway back in place while doing this? So it was not just falling back to the VPN as default gateway?