Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.255.145
Sign in to follow this  
NaDre

OpenVPN vpn_gateway alias

I would like to be able to specify a fixed local IP address for the "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" interface, which would be the same for any server I log onto. This could be specified in a fashion similar to how forwarded ports are set up.

I believe it is possible to specify a client-specific local IP address when configuring the OpenVPN server?

I want this because I use the VPN only for my torrent clients. After starting the VPN I add 4 routing table entries with a 192.0.0.0 net mask to put back my default gateway. Then I configure the torrent clients to use the VPN. Unfortunately uTorrent requires me to specify the full IP address of the IP interface to use (no way to just identify the IP interface). This is only a minor nuisance, but still an irritation.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask for this.

If you add these routes with OpenVPN directives, look at the OpenVPN docs about the "route" directive: you can use "vpn_gateway" as alias of the assigned VPN IP, so it doesn't matter if they are dynamic.

Note that we implemented recently custom directives in our configuration generator.

Feel free to open a separate topic for this if you need more help.

Anyway, a new client 2.0 is under development. It provides the user the option to choose a range of IP (route) and choose if it must be it tunneled or not. So, detection of the VPN IP interface is done automatically.

Note: the new client will be released for Windows, Linux and OSX, under GPL.

I am already aware of "vpn_gateway" and have been using it to set up custom routes for quite a while now. And before you added "prefix" and "custom directives" to the config generator (again thanks for this) I just used a bash script to rename and modify the files myself. This is not the issue.

The issue is that I have to change the IP address in my uTorrent instances when I change servers.

As I have said, I can live without this. But I want to be sure that the issue is clear.

===

I have looked at using a combination of "--client-nat snat|dnat network netmask alias" and "--ifconfig l rn", in order to fake a static IP address. If there was an alias (similar to "vpn_gateway") for "network" in "client-nat", I think this might be possible. But there is no such alias, so far as I can see. Also, I am not sure whether "client-nat" will work on Windows. Do you guys have any advice to offer here?