Not connected, Your IP: 54.163.62.42
Sign in to follow this  
isolated_epidemic

Windows RDP Available on ISP Port with VPN Active

When I first started using AirVPN I was unable to connect via RDP to my Windows 8 machine using my Comcast IP while the VPN was active. Fast forward a few months, and now I am able to connect via RDP to my Windows 8 machine even when the VPN is active. I have checked my browser IP with whatismyip.com, checked for DNS leaks with dnsleaktest.com, and verified my torrent IP with checkmytorrentip.com. All three service returned the expected VPN IP address and have no mention of my ISP or my actual IP address.

So my two questions are; 1. Am I still secure?, 2. How is this happening?

Pertinent system information:

Windows 8 Pro

AirVPN Connect App

Ethernet Connected

Possible Complications: (might be the answer to my own questions)

VMWare with 2 Virtual Machines and 2 Bridged Network Adapters

Hello!

1. If the RDP responds both on the VPN server exit-IP address AND to your ISP IP address, the worst case scenario is a correlation attack: an adversary with the ability to monitor/wiretap your line may understand that the RDP listening on the VPN server is the same RDP listening on your real IP address.

2.  The RDP software is bound to your physical interface (or to your "real" IP address) or to all interfaces (or all IP addresses). If you don't wish that, you have various options:

• bind the service only to the interface (or the IP address) you wish the service listen to
  • close the port (via a software firewall for example, or not forwarding it remotely on our servers in case you don't wish it to be reachable on the VPN exit-IP address) on the interface or IP address to which you want the service NOT reachable

Kind regards

AirVPN Support Team