Not connected, Your IP: 18.234.154.197
Sign in to follow this  
choq

freenode bans airvpn users

Lately I was banned from Freenode using airvpn. It was never a problem connecting Freenode via airvpn. Is it an idea to contact Freenode about this policy, and why Freenode uses this policy.

regards

choq

Hello!

We have already been contacted by Freenode a few hours ago, they kindly explained that the problem is abusive behavior from user(s) from our nodes. Probably they have gone ahead by themselves and started blocking all our exit-IP addresses. This could make things worse because we could start multi-hopping and rotating as many IP "secret" addresses as we wish from 4 continents, making their task desperate, but in this case we will NOT do so at the moment: Freenode is an IRC platform that supports free & open source software and their users, as well as any other service and any other user of any other service, must NOT be harassed by our nodes. We could have studied alternative solutions with automatic triggering, but if they have already chosen to block indiscriminately, that's their legitimate right. We will do nothing to circumvent the blockade before we carefully evaluate the problem and get also an informal opinion by Mr. Stallman, Mr. Cerf and Sir Berners-Lee (if they will wish to give us one, of course) on such general matters next time we meet them in person or virtually.

The general point is if it's ethically acceptable for a service like ours, which provides free access to people working in human-rights hostile countries, to fight net neutrality violations and end-to-end principle violations from private entities over their private will when such fight will help harassing behavior.

Kind regards

its just sad that some of airvpn's users abuse airvpn's service like this and it sometimes make me whish that would have a private static ip

i really hope you can find a solution to blockades like this

/shippy

I would like a solution as well. I do like Freenode (services). But understand their policy.

Maybe is Freenode policy more down to earth and commercial. You never know.

: http://blog.freenode.net/   shows another VPN service, obv. a sponsor of Freenode, or the page, or whatever.

A click on the banner shows why we all use VPN services:

Private Internet Access  encrypts your
connection and provides you with an anonymous IP to
protect your privacy.

kind regards

choq

Hi staff,

Has there been any movement in the contact(s) between Airvpn and Freenode? Because is it important to stay al least in contact in my opinion.

Freenode is a respected and major player in the world of IRC and FOSS and Airvpn in the world of serious VPN services.

Best regards

choq

Im interested in this as well as elements on other IRC servers are doing the same now for AirVPN users :/

Im interested in this as well as elements on other IRC servers are doing the same now for AirVPN users :/

Hello!

Please report the IRC servers.

Kind regards

EFNET: Unfortunately, the past few days many EFnet servers (and more are following) have had to ban an entire ISP, which has not happened in over a decade, if not longer. Naturally, something extreme must happen for this to be even considered. Almost always can we find a solution through the use of good old fashioned communication. Alas, not in this case. Well, here is the story (to the best of my knowledge)

Hi, with my comment i didnt mean ive noticed entire servers banning airvpn users, but some large channels have.

No issues connecting to wolfe (UK) freenode whilst connected to AirVPN.. Perhaps you should try connecting with a registered nick as I did

Hello,

it does not seem the case anymore, we detect free access to Freenode website and IRC from every AirVPN server.

Kind regards

Hey AirVPN!  You guys are for free speech, right?  Well, Freenode isn't.  Try going into #defocus and just watch how many people get banned or quieted in a 12 hour period for "being annoying".  Furthermore, people who start new channels are told they can't "advertise" or "spam" it.  Channels get shut down by ops like Kloeri for sending invites to people they think might be interested.  People who troll freenode don't allow new channels to start because they simply send a sole single complaint that they "received an invite."  oh boo hoo.  People aren't allowed to start #channelname ... only ##channelname ... unless it's a FOSS project, and this is selectively enforced.  More like ##secondclasschannel.

How are you supposed to start a channel if you aren't allowed to talk about it or invite people?  The big, established channels do fine but not the little guy.

Ironically, people have recently tried--and failed repeatedly, to start a "Free speech" channel, as an alternative to #defocus but are shut down every time.

If AirVPN knew what constitutes "abuse" on "free"node, AirVPN would be appalled and look at this issue very differently.

The "abuse" that freenode is talking about is non-violent protest.  Just to set the record straight.  Non-violent protest being going into #defocus and talking about something other than the weather and cuddling.

I do agree with AirVPN's philosophy and response to the situation, however, don't waste perfectly good IPs to help IRC trolls.  You may need them in the future for a GOOD reason.

But everybody should know, EVERYBODY, that freenode is an excellent place for FOSS/tech stuff, but absolutely not a place to socialize, unless you think tepid, vapid, banal, completely devoid of anything conversation in #defocus is socializing.

Now that I think about it, I think Kloeri shuts down channels and ban people who try to start new channels or socialize because he has no "social" in his life and wants to make sure nobody else on the network does either.  But now I digress.

Cheers, AirVPN.  You guys are great.  And freenode, suck one, you fascists.

Ban still effective for all AIRVPN servers, after a short period of access via AIRVPN. (24 hours)

Freenode comes with a policy. Staff handles this with care and much energy. As said above this post, indeed more technical/FOSS oriented.

It is better not discuss indvidual staff members/nicks here imho. It is a no good they use the banhammer again.

(For what reason?)

Ban still effective for all AIRVPN servers, after a short period of access via AIRVPN. (24 hours)

Freenode comes with a policy. Staff handles this with care and much energy. As said above this post, indeed more technical/FOSS oriented.

It is better not discuss indvidual staff members/nicks here imho. It is a no good they use the banhammer again. :(

Hello!

The apparent reason from Freenode (from their communications to us) is a single abuse on their IRC network from one of our nodes and our subsequent message informing them that we don't keep logs to detect the alleged abuser.

Real identity protection and true, effective anonymity layer are probably the most important features of our service.

The above features are not negotiable for us unless we are provided with clear proof about infringements of the ECHR, urgent matters which involve physical safety of a person etc. (see our Terms of Service) by a competent authority. We will not start logging as a consequence of a request from any private entity or from any not competent authority.

Freenode therefore let us understand us that since we don't log, they would ban every AirVPN server. We did not add anything after the ban about this policy; as we said no-logging policy is not negotiable with private entities.

This issue is just another hint for you about how serious and determined we are in respecting our commitments, policy and mission. Our determination in handling such issues and above all much more complicated matters is, in our opinion, comparable to the determination of several TOR exit-node operators.

For example, think about the following:

• Freenode advertises Private Internet Access (a large VPN provider)
  • Private Internet Access claims an absolute no logging policy: "No logging. Period." is written in their "Buy VPN" page
  • Private Internet Access nodes can access Freenode IRC servers, since the ban against AirVPN and at the time of this writing

Therefore, either Private Internet Access in reality is able and willing to detect a user, start logging etc. as a consequence of a simple request by Freenode (or any other private entity), or Freenode does not enforce against Private Internet Access the same policy it enforces against non-logging VPN services such as AirVPN.

For what reason?

We don't know, Freenode did not give us any detail about any abuse. Hopefully this message has clarified the most probable reasons.

Kind regards

Private Internet Access is based in the US and their "Buy VPN" page is a bit dated. their claim that the US is one of few places where logging is not required by government seems to be pre-patriot act and now there are several bills in congress seeking to force the logging of data in the US. As far as Freenode seeking such information and PIA wellingness to grant the logs? Well I wouldn't put it past them as neither one of them seem to be honest in their claims to the people they are serving.

Those of you who would sacrafice freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security and soon after giving up your freedoms you will find you are no longer secure!

Ben Franklin

Freenode therefore let us understand us that since we don't log, they would ban every AirVPN server. We did not add anything after the ban about this policy; as we said no-logging policy is not negotiable with private entities.

Great. And thank you team. Thats one of the reasons using this VPN service. Keep up the good work for gods sake.

Private Internet Access claims an absolute no logging policy: "No logging. Period." is written in their "Buy VPN" page

Indeed. Thats what I said earlier in this thread. Maybe Freenode policy is more down to earth and commercial. You never know.

http://blog.freenode.net/   shows another VPN service, obv. a sponsor of Freenode, or the page, or whatever.

A click on the banner shows why we all use VPN services: etc etc.

Its time to take much distance from Freenode, and thanks a bunch explaining how AIRVPN stands in this issue.

kind regards

choq

Private Internet Access is based in the US and their "Buy VPN" page is a bit dated. their claim that the US is one of few places where logging is not required by government seems to be pre-patriot act and now there are several bills in congress seeking to force the logging of data in the US. As far as Freenode seeking such information and PIA wellingness to grant the logs? Well I wouldn't put it past them as neither one of them seem to be honest in their claims to the people they are serving.

It looks like it....:/

Looks like the bans are lifted again except the serpentis server(listed as a tor exit node).

Looks like the bans are lifted again except the serpentis server(listed as a tor exit node).

I tried that one. No access.

Any news on this topic? Is AirVPN still banned?

Also I'm glad to see a VPN company who is open about their opinions like Air was here!

Any news on this topic? Is AirVPN still banned?

[20:23] * Connecting to irc.freenode.net (+7000)

-

[20:23] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...

-

[20:23] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident

-

[20:23] -asimov.freenode.net- *** Your forward and reverse DNS do not match, ignoring hostname

-

[20:23] -asimov.freenode.net- *** No Ident response

-

You are banned from this server- This VPN provider is no longer supported by freenode. Email kline@freenode.net with questions.

-

[20:23] Closing Link: 95.211.186.115 (*** Banned )

-

[20:23] * [10101] Host disconnected

-

[20:23] * Disconnected

Ophiuchi - nl.png Netherlands

No problem with Freenode since using AirVPN. In your IRC client:

• Register your Nick using following link focusing on the "user registration" portion: https://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup
  • In client > settings > networks use port 7000 or another SSL option (mode Zi)
  • At Networks > Auto_Identify (or similar, depending on client) > Use SASL Authentication. This is important. Enter account name and password from previous step.
  • Profit

Have been blocked from an occasional sever, typically the next will allow a connection. Set options to allow retries and be patient.