Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.12.144
Sign in to follow this  
Indigo35

Help configuring OpenVPN with TOR

Hello again,

I tried to make a config file for using AirVPN over TOR. I followed the directions. I entered the correct SOCKS values.

When I try to connect to the TCP/TOR server, it times out.

Do I connect to the server before I open the TOR browser bundle? Do I have to use the TOR browser bundle to make the config file?

There's something I am missing here, but I don't know what it is. I'm not sure I understand how I would connect to the AirVPN server without using my Viscosity client.

I'd appreciate some help.

Thank you.

Hello!

Are you running Viscosity to make OpenVPN connect over TOR? If so, there are some problems with Viscosity when it should direct OpenVPN to connect over a SOCKS proxy. You should use OpenVPN directly. Do not use Tunnelblick, it does not handle correctly connections over OpenVPN over a proxy.

Kind regards

I was trying to use Viscosity. Does OpenVPN make their own client, because all I can see is that they suggest TunnelBlick.

When I try to connect to the TCP/TOR server, it times out.

Did you start Tor before starting the VPN client?

Do I have to use the TOR browser bundle to make the config file?

It doesn't matter. The only difference it makes is whether you connect to the airvpn.org website through Tor or directly.

I was trying to use Viscosity. Does OpenVPN make their own client, because all I can see is that they suggest TunnelBlick.

OpenVPN is the name of a VPN client and as the Staff member points out, you might have to install OpenVPN and use that with Tor instead of Viscosity. I don't own a Mac myself so I'm not sure if you have to download the source and compile it yourself or if it's already available for download in a repository.

@Indigo35

Hello!

Your problem can't be easily solved with Viscosity, and can't surely be solved with Tunnelblick. At the moment you are forced to use OpenVPN directly if you wish to connect it over TOR (with the files provided by our configuration generator, as usual). Instructions are identical to those for Linux, so you'll need to launch OpenVPN from a command line interface.

We have started working on a radical, friendly solution, but it will take time. Is your urgency to use OpenVPN over TOR high?

Kind regards

My urgency isn't high, no.

I just like to try different config. options for security.

Thanks again and have a great weekend. 

Hello!

If you wish, you can start testing right now. We have just released a package which is the first step to a complete graphical wrapper which in our intentions must be user friendly, implement most Air functions and hopefully overcome Tunnelblick and Viscosity limitations on proxy. This first experimental package in our opinion is already interesting:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9325-development-of-os-x-airvpn-client

If you decide to test it, do not hesitate to send us your feedback!

Kind regards