Not connected, Your IP: 34.239.148.106

Hi,

I just joined up a few days ago and I've enjoyed surfing the globe from my chair and seeing something of how different content is available from different locations etc so thank you for that and I would like to say that it is your stated philosophy that helped me choose AirVPN over other providers and I am glad to be onboard with you and contributing something towards the future of a free and unhindered internet as well as enjoying the service that you offer.

Here's to the future!

There is one thing that concerns me though and that is this:

When I run a speed test on speedtest.net before I log in to AirVPN I can get ,for example,a 25Mbps download speed and a 1.5 Mbps upload speed result and this will translate into my seeing 100kB/s,200kB/s or even up to 300kB/s or more upload speed per item in my torrent client.

However after I log in to AirVPN and run a speed test and get a similar result as far as upload and download speeds are concerned then the maximum upload speed per torrent I have seen in my client very rarely moves over 100kB/s.

I find that I get the same performance after logging on to a number of different servers.

I have forwarded a port correctly and my torrent client reports that it is configured correctly so I am wondering if there is something else I can do to help achieve similar upload speeds as I have before I log in to AirVPN?

I only have 3 active torrents at the moment so I don't think it's a matter of the system being overtaxed or anything similar but then I don't know.

I have not downloaded anything into my torrent client yet so I cannot comment on how the download speeds compare but I am a member of a torrent site where it is important for me to maintain a certain ratio between my up and downloads and clearly the speed at which the system operates is important to that.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome aboard!

The first thing you can try is a connection to ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP to make a performance comparison test. Some ISPs cap bandwidth on some ports.

Kind regards

Hi,it's nice to be here.

Thanks for your reply,I should have mentioned that so far I am only getting TCP connections regardless of which server I connect to.

Can you point me in the right direction to find instructions on how to connect to ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP please?
I don't think you mean to forward a port from the torrent client directly to either of those ports but to make a connection directly?

Thanks again.

Hi,it's nice to be here.

Thanks for your reply,I should have mentioned that so far I am only getting TCP connections regardless of which server I connect to.

Can you point me in the right direction to find instructions on how to connect to ports 53 UDP and 80 TCP please?

I don't think you mean to forward a port from the torrent client directly to either of those ports but to make a connection directly?

Thanks again.

Hello!

If you use the Air client for Windows: after you have picked a server from the server list and before connecting, please click on the "Modes" tab and select a port, then click "Enter".

If you use any other OpenVPN GUI/wrapper or if you use OpenVPN directly: please select those ports when you generate the files for the connection in our configuration generator after you selected "Advanced mode".

Kind regards

Hi,

my apologies,I hadn't noticed the modes tab before.

I am connected on 80 TCP at the moment and there is already a noticable improvement in the speeds than before.

Thank you.

Hi guys,

Sorry to regurgitate older topics, but I am having some speed issue using AirVPN.

I love the UI for Windows, and this software was recommended over other VPN's by a Dutch friend of mine.

His connection speeds from his ISP is 2.5MB/s, and that's what he gets with AirVPN. That's awesome.

My connection speeds from ISP are 100MB/s, and I usually had around 7 to 10MB's a second download speed. With AirVPN, I only hit around 1.1 to 2.3MB's download speed max.

Although my ISP speeds are faster in general than my Dutch friend, he gets better speeds from AirVPN than me. I'm getting 1/10th of the speed than I was used to seems a bit of a drag, but I'm sure you guys can help a noob like me improve that, somewhat. 

I've read multiple topics here by user LZ and the links he provided to other users on the forum that have discussed similar things, shy of giving me a headache, but to no avail in helping with the speeds I would be happy with. Some of the advice given seemed to relate to older UI where the similar options don't seem to be available in the current Eddie version I have, or are maybe named differently, so I couldn't complete the guide in the help topics. Although it helped the original posters, I can't seem to be getting anywhere fast.

I use BitTorrent for my file sharing. It has been mentioned before to increase the buffer size to 256kb in Eddie, but isn't 512kb better? Or was that option not there when the original topics were created?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if I can get 5/ to 6MB's speed will be better than what I'm getting now.

If you need any more information, I'd be glad to provide it. Please don't be too technical  ... 

I already tried: https://airvpn.org/ports/ forum topic and the: https://airvpn.org/topic/21072-slow-speeds/?p=54344  topic and a few more.

I have to say, I don't regret buying AirVPN for the year and will always be a member, regardless of the speed. I love the UI and the site and what it stands for, but would greatly love more speed form using it. That's all that's missing for me to put a ring on the finger for life.

I've also added the port from BitTorrent to the "forwarded ports" section on the actual site.

Also followed some notes in this topic: https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

Thank you for any help

Update:

Guys, a quick update: I get the same/similar speeds now as I do whether I use AirVPN or not.

In a nutshell, the links provided in my above post are guides as to what you can do to improve the speeds using a Torrent client, such as BitTorrent.

It says to go in:

Options> Preferences> and in the subheading “Connection”, to disable UPnP port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping. It also says to disable “Randomize port each start” in this subheading.

Note: In the “Connections” area you don’t need to disable “Randomize port each start”, unless you plan to use “Forwarded ports” option from the “Client Area” from the AirVPN site.

The AirVPN staff confirm this isn’t a feature to make your tunnel more secure, just to help with seeding, etc.

Next: Go in “Bandwidth” in your BitTorrent client, and deselect “Apply rate limit to uTP connections”.

The advice ends there (in the forums here) and after doing all the steps above, I was still downloading at low speeds.

Maybe the following information was missing, as the client has been updated over the years.

Here’s what I tried:

Click on the subheading, “Bittorrent”, and deselect “Enable bandwidth management [uTP]” also deselect “limit local peer bandwidth”.

Voila. My speeds are the same as they were before I became a member of AirVPN.

To make sure the above works for you, you need to make sure your speeds are the same/similar with and without AirVPN using speed-test sites. If so, the problem is the torrent client settings and not AirVPN servers.

Also important to note, the speed advice above is taking into consideration your download speeds were normal before you used AirVPN. Not to help with speeds in general if you don’t use AirVPN at all.

If this doesn’t help your case, unfortunately there isn’t anything else I can recommend.

Hope this helps other noobs like me who are new to AirVPN.

A big thank you to AirVPN members and staff.