Not connected, Your IP: 184.72.135.210
Indigo35

Concerned about sharing IP addresses

Greetings,

This was previously discussed ( https://airvpn.org/topic/8623-security-other-users/?hl=share&do=findComment&comment=8629 ) ; however I wanted some feedback from the admins and other users.

I've come across many places on the internet where my AirVPN IP address was banned due to abuse. I tried switching servers, including the new Canadian server to see if the blocking website would let me post to their bulletin board. It did not.

Why are there so many sites that blacklist AirVPN? Does it have something to do with LeaseWeb? 

I'm also concerned (and fascinated) about the sharing of IP addresses. Am I sharing the same IP address as someone else or the same exit node? I'm a little confused about that.

Could you please clarify this for me?

Cheers

Which sites blacklist Air's service? I haven't come across any so far.

Leaseweb hosts some of Air's servers. The server in Canada is hosted by Amanah. So the blacklist wouldn't be targetting any provider in particular.

The IP address you're using is shared amongst all of those connected to the same server as you. One can look at it as an "exit node" if your connection is not end-to-end SSL or SSH, similar to Tor. I'm not sure what you're confused about, but hopefully that clears up what you were iffy about.

Hello!

Please feel free to contribute to this: https://airvpn.org/forum/21-database

Without a shared IP address an anonymity layer would be seriously weakened. With a shared IP address, abuse by someone can have consequences for everybody. We have to draw a fair balance, but we can't renounce to shared-IP addresses, because one of the most important and basic features of our service is providing a strong anonymity layer.

Kind regards

Let me see if I'm understanding this. When I go to whatismyipaddress.com and it gives me my IP, is that the IP that is being shared? Is this also the same thing as the exit node?

Thank you

A good way to look at it is that on the internet you are only as safe as your habits and the average user is not savvy enough to protect him/herself effectively. By sharing an IP with all other users your activity is obfuscated sh that the risk of your being identified by an adversary is mitigated. So if you are a relatively casual user you can breathe a nice sigh of relief and go about your business with only the occasional annoyance of an IP ban.

For the truly paranoid, there a still several vectors by which you can be identified if you don't practice good computer hygiene or are negligent about how and when or with which other third party accounts you access while using the service. 

Sharing an IP while sometimes annoying, is a great way to obfuscate everyone's activity by commingling it. O