Not connected, Your IP: 3.138.116.241
Sign in to follow this  
ru95

dnsleaks how serious are they ?

I am using your air vpn client and it is my understanding that airvpn tries to be the one that pushes the dns query. I even put air vpns in my tap adapter and it looks like my system is completely ignoring airvpns dns and just using opendns in my router. If the dns in my router does the look ups is it leaving the vpn unencrypted? If it's leaving the vpn unencrypted is it still using my vpn ip or is it exposing my real Ip? I realize for most people it's not that big of a concern but for some people in the world it could be life threatening and i like to know exactly what happens when your dns leaks.

I am using your air vpn client and it is my understanding that airvpn tries to be the one that pushes the dns query. I even put air vpns in my tap adapter and it looks like my system is completely ignoring airvpns dns and just using opendns in my router. If the dns in my router does the look ups is it leaving the vpn unencrypted? If it's leaving the vpn unencrypted is it still using my vpn ip or is it exposing my real Ip? I realize for most people it's not that big of a concern but for some people in the world it could be life threatening and i like to know exactly what happens when your dns leaks.

Hello!

You're right, in various areas DNS leaks must be taken seriously. The DNS queries sent by your router are almost surely unencrypted. Check here:

http://ipleak.net

while your computer is connected to the VPN.

It is necessary to determine why your system is sending queries to the router (which in turn sends them to OpenDNS). What is your OS, is it Windows?

Kind regards

Hello!

You're right, in various areas DNS leaks must be taken seriously. The DNS queries sent by your router are almost surely unencrypted. Check here:

http://ipleak.net

while your computer is connected to the VPN.

It is necessary to determine why your system is sending queries to the router (which in turn sends them to OpenDNS). What is your OS, is it Windows?

Kind regards

I'm using win7 64 home

If i put air vpns dns servers in my physical adapter than my system uses those dns servers. Just because i am using airvpns servers doesn't mean that i am not leaking it's still using my physical adapter, so how do i make all Queries use the tap adapter?

I'm using win7 64 home

Hello!

The path to the hosts file (in standard installation) is:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

The file name is "hosts", no extensions. Edit it with any text editor (for example NotePad) launched with administrator privileges. Add the lines at the bottom of the file.

If i put air vpns dns servers in my physical adapter than my system uses those dns servers. Just because i am using airvpns servers doesn't mean that i am not leaking it's still using my physical adapter, so how do i make all Queries use the tap adapter?

Yes:, if you force 10.4.0.1 as primary and 10.5.0.1 as secondary DNS on your physical adapter, when svchost.exe sends a DNS query to the DNS IP address set for the physical adapter, that query will follow the routing table, so no DNS leaks at all.

Kind regards

I'm using win7 64 home

Hello!

The path to the hosts file (in standard installation) is:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

The file name is "hosts", no extensions. Edit it with any text editor (for example NotePad) launched with administrator privileges. Add the lines at the bottom of the file.

Yes:, if you force 10.4.0.1 as primary and 10.5.0.1 as secondary DNS on your physical adapter, when svchost.exe sends a DNS query to the DNS IP address set for the physical adapter, that query will follow the routing table, so no DNS leaks at all.

Kind regards

So let me see if I got this right if I put the dns server in my physical adapter it will be forced to follow the routing table so that means it's still going through the vpn correct? I want to be sure because if i put airvpn dns servers in there the dns won't work if i am disconnected. If I use opendns etc in the physical adapter when i'm on the vpn the queries are still going through the vpn and not leaking?

So let me see if I got this right if I put the dns server in my physical adapter it will be forced to follow the routing table so that means it's still going through the vpn correct?

Hello!

No. Only if you put the VPN DNS IP addresses your DNS queries will be tunelled in any case.

I want to be sure because if i put airvpn dns servers in there the dns won't work if i am disconnected.

Yes, of course: it must NOT work, that's the purpose. Also, that's why you need to modify your hosts file in order to allow (re)connections to Air VPN servers through the Air client.

If I use opendns etc in the physical adapter when i'm on the vpn the queries are still going through the vpn and not leaking?

No. The leaked queries will go to OpenDNS unencrypted, out of the tunnel, and your ISP can see them.

Kind regards

I seem to have fixed my dns leak issue I just left the tap adapter dns blank and in my physical adapter I put in opendns servers now when I am on the vpn it uses airvpns dns servers and when i'm disconnected it uses the opendns servers. Every dns test I ran shows no dns leak I guess the key is too leave the tap adapter blank. I do have my windows dns client disabled I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I seem to have fixed my dns leak issue I just left the tap adapter dns blank and in my physical adapter I put in opendns servers now when I am on the vpn it uses airvpns dns servers and when i'm disconnected it uses the opendns servers. Every dns test I ran shows no dns leak I guess the key is too leave the tap adapter blank. I do have my windows dns client disabled I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Hello!

The tun/tap adapter DNS is DHCP-pushed by our servers.

Your current setup does not seem appropriate to prevent DNS leaks, keep an eye on them.

Kind regards

Hello!

The tun/tap adapter DNS is DHCP-pushed by our servers.

Your current setup does not seem appropriate to prevent DNS leaks, keep an eye on them.

Kind regards

When I tried an earlier fix I added 85.17.207.151 airvpn.org and 212.117.180.25 airvpn.org to my host file maybe this why my fix stopped the leak.

When I tried an earlier fix I added 85.17.207.151 airvpn.org and 212.117.180.25 airvpn.org to my host file maybe this why my fix the leak stopped.

where to put it?

I'll have to call a technician to help me lol

will be having a technical problem know that I use a vpn?