Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.214.249
scooby0786

ANSWERED DNS Change Help Required!

Aloha,

Sorry if there is a detailed topic elsewhere.

Need help implementing a change to my DNS setting, if at all really needed.
I remember doing something similar in Windows 10 years ago, but W11 settings are somewhat different to what I remember.
Have no real problem currently on my PC, requesting assistance for Laptop, as I couldn't connect VIA Eddie at any hotel Wi-Fi when I was on holiday in Africa and figured it must be a DNS thingy. Back home and have no problems.

I see this: 

1365302452_Page1.thumb.png.659f7359e9c68f59b3cfb9b86136dbd4.png

Then from advanced network settings, I see: 

1730217090_Networkadapters.thumb.png.49d78edc73f54d4ce3c8215ae5bf9cc6.png

From Wi-Fi I click "more adapter options" and get this:

IP.png.f6dae7e67052190ca092ca637ce895d2.png

click on TCP/IPv4 I get: 

Properties.png.3ac03fb80885aaca9690eb0bd4a9fb86.png

Do I change DNS there? 

Or do I change here by selecting manual, if so, do I also add entry for IPv6?: 

523311682_Orhere.png.1d4485d1fca6ba54d68288776e9152ee.png

If changes are made, I make them only to Wi-Fi and Ethernet adapters, but leave TAP-Windows Adapter V9 alone, right?
And I only need to change "DNS server assignment" and no need to change "IP assignment" tab, right?

Any help/clarification would be appreciated, especially with pics and what DNS digits to use and where and if this will have any implications to my general usage of the net.
I came across this topic:

And a few others in the DNS section, but I guess I need more of a "dummies guide!" Especially to get rid of the Google DNS: 8.8.8.8. and best alternatives.
I know about open.nic, but didn't have a clue what to use from there.

Kind regards

9 hours ago, scooby0786 said:

Do I change DNS there? 

There, yes. And the setting is probably mirrored to the system settings, so just focus on the adapter settings.

If changes are made, I make them only to Wi-Fi and Ethernet adapters, but leave TAP-Windows Adapter V9 alone, right?
And I only need to change "DNS server assignment" and no need to change "IP assignment" tab, right?

Yes and yes.

Any help/clarification would be appreciated, especially with pics and what DNS digits to use and where and if this will have any implications to my general usage of the net.

The DNS server settings are on the Specs page.
VPN DNS addresses (private addresses, only reachable from inside the VPN): 10.4.0.1 / fde6:7a:7d20:4::1 - reachable from any virtual subnet
So you enter 10.4.0.1 in the v4 settings, and fde6:7a:7d20:4::1 in the v6 settings.
The thing with Windows is that you need to change them back manually, too. It can be done with a script, too. If you're interested, me or someone else may write you something. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you for all your help, as always, OpenSourcerer.

For v6 I get this message:

IPv6.thumb.png.1a508f96e6bac22ee47a924eb76dbf8d.png 

Just to clarify, I'm making these changes to the Wi-Fi adapter and not the TAP v9 adapter, correct?
With the VPN (Eddie) being off.

15 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

The thing with Windows is that you need to change them back manually, too.

Not sure I know what you meant by that. You mean if I want to stop using those specs, I would have to opt back to "automatically" manually? That would seem obvious, so I assume you're talking about something else.

10.4.0.1 is possible with VPN on in the Wi-Fi adapter settings box for v4, but with Eddie being off, it says: "...." Ah, not saying it any more. Strange.

EDIT (Best to read this before replying)

Both v4 and v6 settings have been changed to what you recommended. It accepted it at some point.
The only problem, without Eddie, I can't have access to the internet with normal connection outside the VPN tunnel. I guess that's what you meant by: "VPN DNS addresses (private addresses, only reachable from inside the VPN)!"

Is there anyway of connecting to the net with and without Eddie on Wi-Fi using those settings, or to do that I have to stick to current setup using "automatic DNS" settings?
Hang on, is that what you meant by I have to change back manually? As in to access the net without Eddie I have to revert to previous setup?
Oh, man, I think it's coming back full circle now. 🤣 My bad. 🤣

My excuse, I have Blepharitis by spending too much time with screens. So when my eyes get funny and blurry, I end up losing concentration.
Just clarify, if you will,  if my above assumptions/statements are correct and that I'm actually understanding you.
Danke.

1 hour ago, scooby0786 said:

The only problem, without Eddie, I can't have access to the internet with normal connection outside the VPN tunnel. I guess that's what you meant by: "VPN DNS addresses (private addresses, only reachable from inside the VPN)!"

Yes.

Is there anyway of connecting to the net with and without Eddie on Wi-Fi using those settings, or to do that I have to stick to current setup using "automatic DNS" settings?

Erm.. one possibility is to enter AirVPN DNS as primary and your network's DNS server as secondary DNS server. There are any number of reasons against it, but it's worth a try if you don't want to change DNS servers everytime you (dis)connect.

Oh, man, I think it's coming back full circle now. 🤣 My bad. 🤣

When I wrote it, I simply thought of how network management is usually done on a Linux desktop. There one can define network profiles which can be switched with maybe two clicks from anywhere. One could be "all auto", another could be "auto with manual DNS". Couldn't help but compare network management on Windows and on Linux and internally reassert how much easier it is on Linux, so I advised that you must manually [go back to these settings] and change them again. :)

My excuse, I have Blepharitis by spending too much time with screens. So when my eyes get funny and blurry, I end up losing concentration.

I'm pretty sure it's got nothing to do with this. :D English is my third language – even after 22 years of learning and using it sometimes I still don't manage to find the right words. Could be that.

3 hours ago, OpenSourcerer said:

Erm.. one possibility is to enter AirVPN DNS as primary and your network's DNS server as secondary DNS server. There are any number of reasons against it, but it's worth a try if you don't want to change DNS servers everytime you (dis)connect.

Well, if there are reasons against it, then they can't be good or worth exploring.
If I need to switch manually back and forth with those settings to access the net with or without Eddie/VPN, then I suppose it's a necessary evil. I go abroad to different countries once or twice a year, and this is the first time it happened to me since being with Air for the past 7 years. So I guess I can live with it and just change the DNS manually when and if required for the next holiday.

Thanks for always being there. Catch ya next time, ol' boy. 😁

On 8/27/2024 at 7:58 PM, scooby0786 said:

ol' boy

… I'm not that old, though… 😕 Anyway, you're welcome.