Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.146.46

Posted ... (edited)

Solved: reinstalled polkit/policykit Debian packages

I have a fresh install of Debian 12.6.0 and installed Eddie-UI from the repository. It worked for a day and now launching will hang while the graphic reads "Raise system privileges" and then error with this message:

Unable to obtain elevated privileges (required): Unable to start (timeout)

If I launch it from the command line (sudo eddie-ui) it'll get past that point and I can log in and connect to a server. I noticed a bunch of "dbus-launch" errors so I resolved it by installing the dbus-x11 package. I do also notice this but it sounds xfce related and not consequential:

(eddie-tray:2375): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 18:51:31.647: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed

My question is how can I launch eddie-ui from the icon in the GUI and have it prompt me for privileges instead of just hanging and failing?
  Edited ... by RedGreen1
marking as solved

This wasn't an eddie-ui problem and I solved it by reinstalling all the polkit/policykit Debian packages. I probably broke something when trying different desktop environments. Now I can launch it normally and when I launch from the command line (without sudo) I'm not seeing any errors.