Not connected, Your IP: 18.118.12.70
Pmac1980

ANSWERED "Reverse" Split Tunneling Guidance

Hello, I am not too good at this stuff but I am hoping to get some help. I have AirVPN (Eddie) set up on my Windows 10 computer. I have found that running the VPN makes it difficult to play any video games on my computer, so I have been turning it off any time I want to play games. However, I have recently set up port forwarding with Eddie to be able to host an Emby server while the VPN is running. So any time I turn the VPN off Emby quits working. I also have to pause all of my torrents on QBittorrent while the VPN is off too, for obvious reasons. I was looking into just split tunneling the game (Call of Duty) so that I don't have to turn off the VPN any time I want to play. But I learned that that is easier said than done, seeing as how Call of Duty uses a wide range of IP's and IP's are the only way to set up split tunneling with Eddie. I have seen that application based split tunneling is in the works but I have yet to find anything saying that feature will be released any time soon, and frankly I am not holding my breath it will fix the problem because I had the same issue with my previous VPN (Mullvad) and adding Call of Duty to the split tunneling on that made no difference. So given that adding Call of Duty to a split tunnel on Eddie seems to be quite a chore, and how I really only need Emby, Qbittorrent, and Chrome going through the VPN the thought dawned on me that I have heard of some kind of "reverse" split tunneling where everything is excluded from the VPN tunnel by default and an application/IP is only run through the VPN when the VPN client is told to route that application through the VPN tunnel. I am looking for specific advice on setting this kind of thing up with Eddie. I suck at this so I will need specific advice for all three apps I need going through the VPN, and how to exclude everything else, including how to find the necessary IP's for all of those programs if they are needed. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello!

You may consider a virtual machine connected to the VPN for an effective traffic splitting with good compartmentalization. You would run Call of Duty on the "not connected to the VPN" host (run CoD outside the VM for optimal performance of the game itself) and anything else, i.e. all the other applications that need tunneled traffic, inside the VM, which will be connected to the VPN.

Kind regards

Another option could be to disable network lock and the default gateway. Then setup your apps that need to use VPN to use wgclient interface instead of system default. Not sure if Eddie allows to do that. You might need to use the barebones WireGuard app. 

I'd suggest you look into a different wireguard client which lets you use split tunnel based on application or IP. Ill link two apps below and both are UI friendly and open source as well

GitHub - wiresock/WireSockUI: GUI to use Wiresock VPN Client in application mode

GitHub - TunnlTo/desktop-app: TunnlTo is a Windows WireGuard VPN client built for split tunnelling.

Use any as both works without any problems :) if you need any help setting up then ask me or check documentation yourself