Not connected, Your IP: 18.218.254.122
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.24 beta released

On 2/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, Staff said:

@BettyIsBoop @mnzx and anyone with the error "System.TypeInitializationException"

Confirmed, hopefully this will be fixed in the next release.

As a workaround for now, please install mono-runtime-common:

sudo apt install mono-runtime-common

Fixed with the workaround, and the systray icon appear too.

Thank you.

New version 2.24.2, primarily containing bug fixes related to the Linux build.

• [bugfix] [windows] Shortcut .lnk for all users
  • [bugfix] [linux] Fixed a systemd-resolved issue that caused wrong "DNS of the interface x switched to VPN DNS - via systemd-resolved"
  • [bugfix] [linux] An issue with tray-icon at exit
  • [bugfix] [linux] A concurrency issue that caused the application not to close
  • [bugfix] [linux] Dependency to mono-runtime-common (only on .deb packages)
  • [bugfix] [linux] Minor fixes
  • [bugfix] [linux] Arch build in AUR

There is still an issue with minimizing to tray in Xubuntu 22.04. Now when enabled Eddie only minimizes to taskbar and when restored the window is transparent and empty. Clicking "Show Main Window" from tray icon restores the window to normal. So the "Minimize in Tray" must be kept disabled. Same behavior occurred with the older beta branch.

Eddie.thumb.png.3c29236d8d427c764d1332b9541f8dbb.png

This error still occurs very randomly. I think one or two other users have reported it on Linux (on a previous beta), I am on macOS. Solution is to quit and restart Eddie.

SCR-20240307-qang.jpeg

On Linux Mint after updating to 2.24.2 I can exit Eddie but there is no Internet as result of closing it. Connection has to be restored in Network Manager.

On 3/8/2024 at 4:29 AM, zedik said:

On Linux Mint after updating to 2.24.2 I can exit Eddie but there is no Internet as result of closing it. Connection has to be restored in Network Manager.

On Linux Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS after updating from 2.22.2  to 2.24.2 i have identical situation.

Small error.

Gtk not found (missing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0?), using built-in colorscheme
. 2024.03.10 22:33:06 - Eddie version: 2.24.2 / linux_x64, System: Linux, Name: Arch Linux, Version: Linux pad 6.7.9-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 08 Mar 2024 01:59:01 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux, Framework: 6.8.0.96 (tarball Wed Jan 15 10:20:48 UTC 2020); Framework: v4.0.30319

lib is in the extra/gtk2 package. Eddie launches alright, but the UI is a bit sluggish.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I have the last stable version of Eddie installed 2.21.8 and it worked flawlessly for years. Since late last year I've been getting an intermittent out of memory error when running Eddie overnight if and only if Deluge or qBitorrent is also running. This is intermittent because no error occurs until I check it the next day. Windows says there's not enough memory and asks to close apps. Eddie shows the attached error. And sometimes a third error pop up shows that the win10 screensaver slideshow crashed.

I'm using Eddie on Windows10 but have had to block windows updates in order to run Windows Media Center as a way to access DRM protected cable channels. So I'm running Win10 version 10.0.10586 with 4GB physical RAM and 16GB virtual RAM on an internal SSD. Other apps running in background include Chrome browser, Windows Media Center and Deluge, but that's really all. Not sure if it's relevant but this all seemed to start late last year when a qBittorrent update wouldn't run anymore on my frozen Win10 version so I uninstalled it and started using Deluge, but the out of memory error continues to appear.

Any insights welcome.

eddie_error.PNG

On 3/12/2024 at 4:10 AM, astrolopithecus said:
I have the last stable version of Eddie installed 2.21.8 and it worked flawlessly for years. Since late last year I've been getting an intermittent out of memory error when running Eddie overnight if and only if Deluge or qBitorrent is also running. This is intermittent because no error occurs until I check it the next day. Windows says there's not enough memory and asks to close apps. Eddie shows the attached error. And sometimes a third error pop up shows that the win10 screensaver slideshow crashed.

I'm using Eddie on Windows10 but have had to block windows updates in order to run Windows Media Center as a way to access DRM protected cable channels. So I'm running Win10 version 10.0.10586 with 4GB physical RAM and 16GB virtual RAM on an internal SSD. Other apps running in background include Chrome browser, Windows Media Center and Deluge, but that's really all. Not sure if it's relevant but this all seemed to start late last year when a qBittorrent update wouldn't run anymore on my frozen Win10 version so I uninstalled it and started using Deluge, but the out of memory error continues to appear.

Any insights welcome.

eddie_error.PNG

Try the new beta.

Posted ... (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 11:56 AM, Staff said:

New version 2.24.2, primarily containing bug fixes related to the Linux build.

• [bugfix] [windows] Shortcut .lnk for all users
  • [bugfix] [linux] Fixed a systemd-resolved issue that caused wrong "DNS of the interface x switched to VPN DNS - via systemd-resolved"
  • [bugfix] [linux] An issue with tray-icon at exit
  • [bugfix] [linux] A concurrency issue that caused the application not to close
  • [bugfix] [linux] Dependency to mono-runtime-common (only on .deb packages)
  • [bugfix] [linux] Minor fixes
  • [bugfix] [linux] Arch build in AUR
much better than 2.24 but still loads graphic elements kinda slowly Edited ... by Ghederzarz

@astrolopithecus
W10 TH2 1511 has been EOL for nearly 6 years. Is there any reason you can't update the OS to Windows 10 22H2 (19045) and get WMC to work? You coud try an in-place install upgrade with an official MS iso.
https://massgrave.dev/genuine-installation-media.html
Windows updates can always be turned off later.

Here's a link to a WMC project you might find interesting if you don't already know about it.
https://garyan2.github.io/win10.html

I think you would have more success with Eddie, qBittorrent, and the out of memory problem by updating your OS.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, monstrocity said:

@monstrosity
Thanks for your suggestion, but it's still the case that cablecard DRM was removed from later versions of w10 and w11 so anybody trapped in the Comcast monopoly who is unwilling to pay a monthly fee to rent their absolute trainwreck of a TV box (X1) has to resort instead to an ancient, update-frozen instance of Win10 with a SiliconDust HomeRun cablecard device. Here's the community of trapped souls--> https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13826&start=180

Would love to have a single alternative, but "freedom" or something. Besides Comcast's TV monopoly, they enjoy a broadband monopoly. Any company hoping to install fiber has to pay Comcast technicians to show up and observe their work to make sure Comcast's infrastructure isn't compromised. Besides the expense, those observers are few enough to ensure months and years of scheduling delay. PG&E does the same with regard to solar installations. Politicians are in cahoots, refusing to legislate reasonable access to utilities. 

Here ends my sad tale, hope it hasn't made you sorry to offered a suggestion. I do appreciate it.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:18 AM, astrolopithecus said:
On 3/14/2024 at 11:52 PM, monstrocity said:

@monstrosity
Thanks for your suggestion, but it's still the case that cablecard DRM was removed from later versions of w10 and w11 so anybody trapped in the Comcast monopoly who is unwilling to pay a monthly fee to rent their absolute trainwreck of a TV box (X1) has to resort instead to an ancient, update-frozen instance of Win10 with a SiliconDust HomeRun cablecard device. Here's the community of trapped souls--> https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13826&start=180

Would love to have a single alternative, but "freedom" or something. Besides Comcast's TV monopoly, they enjoy a broadband monopoly. Any company hoping to install fiber has to pay Comcast technicians to show up and observe their work to make sure Comcast's infrastructure isn't compromised. Besides the expense, those observers are few enough to ensure months and years of scheduling delay. PG&E does the same with regard to solar installations. Politicians are in cahoots, refusing to legislate reasonable access to utilities. 

Here ends my sad tale, hope it hasn't made you sorry to offered a suggestion. I do appreciate it.

If the latest Eddie beta doesn't help, you might want to try WireGuard with config files. There's almost no CPU or memory overhead with WG.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:56 PM, Staff said:

The DNS spam is now gone when NetworkManager is used, but I noticed it's still happening on my laptop which instead uses systemd-networkd with static IP for networking.

DNS of the interface 'Eddie' switched to VPN DNS - via systemd-resolved (from '' to '10.128.0.1 fd7d:76ee:e68f:a993::1')
Default Route of the interface 'Eddie' switched to VPN Route - via systemd-resolved (from '' to 'no')
DNS of the interface 'Eddie' switched to VPN DNS - via systemd-resolved (from '' to '10.128.0.1 fd7d:76ee:e68f:a993::1')
Default Route of the interface 'Eddie' switched to VPN Route - via systemd-resolved (from '' to 'no')
etc. etc.

This is my config on the machine (Xubuntu 22.04 LTS):

/etc/systemd/network/20-wired.network
[Match]
Name=enp0s3

[Network]
Address=192.168.1.12/24
Gateway=192.168.1.1
DNS=10.128.0.1

On the Intel computer with Windows 10 32 bit and eddie 2.24.2,
I do not have to close eddie before restarting.
I have to do that on the AMD computer with Windows 10 32 bit and eddie 2.24.2.
It works fine on both computers with eddie 2.18.9.
So there is still something to program.
What is the advantage of 2.24.2 over 2.18.9??
regards
Ger Hendriks

3 hours ago, GerHendriks said:

On the Intel computer with Windows 10 32 bit and eddie 2.24.2,
I do not have to close eddie before restarting.
I have to do that on the AMD computer with Windows 10 32 bit and eddie 2.24.2.
It works fine on both computers with eddie 2.18.9.
So there is still something to program.
What is the advantage of 2.24.2 over 2.18.9??
regards
Ger Hendriks

Perhaps this explanation will help, there's a couple AirVPN/Windows options to look for. 

On Linux Mint after updating to 2.24.2 I can now exit Eddie but there is no Internet as result of closing it. Connection has to be restored in Network Manager.

Looks like Eddie does not close Wire Guard connection during exiting that's way I have to disconnect in Network Manager and connect again. IMHO, it should re-establish previous connection.

Running Eddie 2.24.2 on Macos 'Sonoma 14.4.1' on an M2 machine for over a week now. It runs great, no errors or crashes. The only problem I see is that WireGuard is unreliable, connection speeds drop rapidly (like it's being throttled) no matter how much tweaking I do or reconnect to different Netherlands servers. For now OpenVPN TCP (SSL) 443 seems more reliable.

Also I'm on a 1 Gig fibre line but Eddie shows I'm on 2 Gig fibre. The transfer speed indicator shows 2x the speed.