Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.102.112
Sign in to follow this  
cspr

ANSWERED How do I improve torrent speed on 1gbit fibre?

Posted ... (edited)

Heya, I tried AirVPN because you guys are said to have good speed and port forwarding, 2 requirements for me when selecting a VPN.
I'm running a 1gbit symmetrical line.
I am easily able to saturate my 1gbit upload for seeding torrents wihout VPN, with VPN i get about 550 mbit upload.
It was even lower 250 mbit (I think due to traffic shaping) but I  configured the connection to be on SSH port 80 to get around that. (as your virgin media sticky post suggested)
Also I forwarded the ports and am using this port in my bittorrent client.
I'm connected to a low latency server near me at 17% load of the 2000mbit link. So I should be able to saturate my upload bandwith.

How can I improve performance even more?

Edited ... by cspr

I just ran a speedtest.net with and without.

Without VPN
945 down / 836 up

With VPN
626 down / 606 up

Also SSH take up alot of CPU cycles with this throughput. I guess there is no "non heavy CPU" solution to get around traffic shaping?

28 minutes ago, cspr said:

With VPN
626 [Mbit/s] down / 606 [Mbit/s] up

Hello!

Excellent in our infrastructure even on agnostic networks. We would not modify anything else, especially because you are in a network that's shaping VPN traffic.

28 minutes ago, cspr said:

guess there is no "non heavy CPU" solution to get around traffic shaping?

Obfuscation in place of true encryption is less CPU intensive but the solution you adopted is solid. According to a recent paper by Usenix titled OpenVPN is Open to VPN Fingerprinting, OpenVPN over SSH has a filter rate of 0.32, making it the third best technique to defeat filters against OpenVPN.

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer and informative article, I am new to VPNs so am not sure what to expect performance-wise.
Any plans on integrating Obfsproxy? :D

Kind regards,

15 hours ago, cspr said:

Thank you for your answer and informative article, I am new to VPNs so am not sure what to expect performance-wise.
Any plans on integrating Obfsproxy? :D

Hello!

Currently, we have no plans for Obsfproxy: throughout the years we have been very focused on leaving the need for this kind of obfuscation to the Tor network (in which we have invested a lot of time and resources), but we may consider it in the future.

Kind regards