Not connected, Your IP: 3.146.152.99
Tricket56

Default gateway not available error

Hi folks,

Hoping to get some insight as to this error/issue I'm running into.

TL; DR: My ethernet switch is causing me the error default gateway unavailable.  How do I stop it?

Current setup wall port of rental unit > router > PC connected to one ethernet or of router, along with 2 other devices and an ethernet switch. 

Ethernet switch seems to be the culprit as to what's causing the issue.  Based on research the likely issue is that one or more devices are generating the same address and causing it to disconnect?

Does anyone have advice on how to fix this?  I'm afraid networking knowledge is a weak point of mine and I never thought an Ethernet switch would manage to break things. 

Last note here is that everything else seems to continue to work fine except my PC.   It also doesn't seem to matter if the router is in the equation or not....  

This looks more like a networking question not specific to AirVPN, moved to Off-Topic.

9 hours ago, Tricket56 said:

TL; DR: My ethernet switch is causing me the error default gateway unavailable.  How do I stop it?

Smells a bit like the XY problem. If you don't know networks, how did you confidently come to the conclusion it's your switch? For one, switches don't know IP addresses, they only know MAC addresses. And a MAC address collision is highly unlikely.

What's the OS on your PC?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

So I don't know for absolute certainty that's it's the ethernet switch.  But I encountered this issue with other VPNs when the ethernet switch was introduced into my network.

Likewise I was having no issues when I changed to airvpn when I wasn't using the switch and then strangely when I added the ethernet switch into the equation the issue reappeared.

I'm happy to hear other theories or suggestions though!  I'm currently running windows 10

I've attached a photo looks like a Netgear gs308v3.

Also to note is that in my suite I do. Kt have an ISP provided modem/router.   I'm only plugging in an ethernet cable through the wall port available in my suite.  I'm not sure if that complicates matters or not.

PXL_20240224_165937533_MP.jpg

Erm, don't you need a router of your own first? Or does the Ethernet port on the wall connect to some sort of "public" router for the whole house?
Or is this FTTH with an ISP-provided modem and you only need to plug in Ethernet?

So I believe it's FTTH and I believe it's the last scenario you mentioned.

Previously I connected everything via wifi, but upon discovering the port in my unit I plugged in an ethernet cord plugged in the other end to my PC and bam wired connection.

Since then I've brought in my own router to provide my own wireless signal and recently attached the ethernet service off the router to provide additional Ethernet ports.

Normally I'd contact the ISP but as the account isn't in my name they don't share details with non account holders.

I'm thinking worst case scenario I could just remove the ethernet switch from the equation if it continues to be an issue.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:23 PM, Tricket56 said:

So I believe it's FTTH and I believe it's the last scenario you mentioned.

Well, then you need a router after the wall plug with a WAN port which opens a local network behind it, then you connect all devices to the router, wired or wireless. You are only getting one public IP address allocation from the wall plug, a switch is not the right equipment. After that everything will work out of the box.

I think I may have poorly communicated my setup.

So it goes wall plug -> nighthawk router -> ethernet switch.  

So my ethernet switch is currently plugged into one of the 4 back ports of the router.  So my understanding is that it should just be providing more LAN ports.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:12 PM, Tricket56 said:

So my understanding is that it should just be providing more LAN ports.

That understanding is correct

On 2/24/2024 at 1:53 AM, Tricket56 said:

Ethernet switch seems to be the culprit as to what's causing the issue

It might really break down to this: A faulty unit. Are you able to test a different switch?