Not connected, Your IP: 3.141.244.201

I have been running Eddie successfully on a Pi 4 for a long time. I just acquired a Pi 5 and Eddie will not run, at least not properly. It gets to the “Elevated Privileges” box and hangs, with the main window just a black box

DISCLOSURE: I began by running the Pi 5 on the same 3 amp power supply as the Pi 4.  Pi 5 technically prefers a 5 amp supply. I wonder if the low power is an issue?  I have ordered a 5 amp power supply and will comment again once I have it installed but if anyone has insight on this question it would be good to hear.

Hello!

Can you tell us the Operating System running in the Pi 5? We suspect an incompatibility with a specific Raspberry Pi OS version.

Kind regards

I am now using a 5 amp power supply but Eddie behaviour is unchanged.  Will not finish loading and it becomes completely hung.  Cannot even close it.  It even defeats the shutdown of the Pi. I have to literally pull the plug to do a reboot.  I have uninstalled Eddie.  Looking now for an alternative client.  Please let me know if there is a solution.  I like Eddie but it's not much use like this

I have now tried the following: I have used the system disk that works perfectly (including Eddie) in my Pi 4 and used it to boot up the Pi 5. Everything works fine except, you guessed it, Eddie fails in exactly the same way

I return the disk to the Pi 4 and everything, including Eddie, works fine

There is something specifically about Eddie that will not run on a Pi 5 regardless of the OS environment.

Have you specifically tried running Eddie on a Pi 5?

@AuContraire

Hello!

We will start an investigation as soon as possible. Currently our testing machines include Pi 3 B, Pi 3 B+ and Pi 4, and not Pi 5. We will update this thread when we have relevant information. Can you tell us in the meantime whether the AirVPN Suite fails to start? https://airvpn.org/linux/suite/

Kind regards

Which of the AirVPN Suite packages do you suggest I use?  The only one that seems specifically for Raspberry is the 32 Bit and I know that the 32 bit version of Eddie will not even install.

21 hours ago, AuContraire said:

Which of the AirVPN Suite packages do you suggest I use?  The only one that seems specifically for Raspberry is the 32 Bit and I know that the 32 bit version of Eddie will not even install.

Hello!

Please avoid the 32 bit version. You need the 64 bit version (NOT the legacy version), direct link:
https://eddie.website/repository/AirVPN-Suite/1.3.0/AirVPN-Suite-aarch64-1.3.0.tar.gz

Kind regards

I have the same issue with a Pi 5 and the Eddie client using the default Pi 5 software.  Running the experimental V 2.24.1 aarch64 debian version from the terminal I get the error Error mapping file: mono_file_map_error failed file:./eddie-ui length:0x1679000 offset:0x4562944X error:Invalid argument(0x16).

I have been working with AirVPN support to solve this problem.  I know they have just acquired a Pi5 for testing and hopefully there will be a patch for Eddie

In the meantime they suggested I try AirVPN suite which is the Command Line version of their VPN client.  I had problems getting it to run on the Pi5 too but they worked with me to solve the problems and now it works a charm, if you are comfortable with Command Line (I’m middling myself and I muddled through)

I prepared for my own reference the following summary of the tweaks required in my instance:

Running AirVPN Suite on Pi5

Install AirVPN Suite

Please avoid the 32 bit version. You need the 64 bit version (NOT the legacy version), direct link:

https://eddie.website/repository/AirVPN-Suite/1.3.0/AirVPN-Suite-aarch64-1.3.0.tar.gz

If AirVPN Suite Fails to Resolve DNS Requests

DNS requests should not affect system ability to resolve names. Test for successful resolutions. Example from a terminal:
dig airvpn.org

If the result is a failure then produce the Bluetit log taken while the problem is ongoing.  From a terminal:
sudo journalctl | grep bluetit > bluetit.log
Send to AirVPN support

Check if systemd-resolved is running

From a terminal:

sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved

For me this showed that systemd-resolved was not installed on my system.  I installed it with:

apt install systemd-resolved

Reboot and run  sudo systemctl status systemd-resolved again

This solved my DNS resolution problems

I have exactly the same issue btw. I had a Pi 4 and it worked fine, now with the Pi 5 it's just a black box. 64bit ofc. I tried a few versions, tried using the mono portable etc. Everything that ran did the same thing.

AirVPN Suite does run on the Pi5 but the installation is potentially non-trivial. I posted notes from my installation in this thread

The app is command line driven but good once you get the hang of it