Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.96.146
nlnl86

How come Eddie is much faster and stabler than Tunnelblick (MacOS)?

I've been a loyal and happy customer of AirVPN for a few years.

I've always been using Tunnelblick (MacOS), assumimg that since it has a much larger userbase outside of AirVPN and maintained by a larger community, it would be better security-wise and performance-wise than AirVPN's in-house client Eddie.

But using Tunnelblick, I've always suffered from connections hanging after a while, needing to change locations, disconnecting, etc.

I recently decided to give Eddie a try, and out of the box it seems much more stable, with better speed and reliability.

My question is: how come?
Is it simply because it chooses the best server itself? (on Tunnelblick, I need to select a server myself, with no clear way of choosing a best one automatically).

Thank you!

1 hour ago, nlnl86 said:

with no clear way of choosing a best one automatically

There is one, actually: Use DNS names to get the best server for every region from the perspective of the server itself.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

16 hours ago, nlnl86 said:

I've always been using Tunnelblick (MacOS), assumimg that since it has a much larger userbase outside of AirVPN and maintained by a larger community, it would be better security-wise and performance-wise than AirVPN's in-house client Eddie.
But using Tunnelblick, I've always suffered from connections hanging after a while, needing to change locations, disconnecting, etc.

Hello!

It's an interesting issue we would like to investigate. Tunnelblick and Eddie by default run different OpenVPN versions built by the Tunnelblick developers and Eddie developers respectively. Eddie may also run Hummingbird, based on OpenVPN3-AirVPN library, which is remarkably faster than OpenVPN 2 on Mac (WireGuard is even faster). Did you configure Eddie to connect over OpenVPN 2, Hummingbird or WireGuard?

Kind regards

1 hour ago, Staff said:
Did you configure Eddie to connect over OpenVPN 2, Hummingbird or WireGuard?

Under Preferences -> Protocols, the "Automatic" checkbox is selected. However the only values under "Type" are WireGuard and OpenVPN (no Hummingbird).
Using Eddie 2.21.8.