Not connected, Your IP: 3.20.238.187
pommebanane157

ANSWERED Getting extremely slow speeds only while torrenting

Hi,

My Mullvad expired and since they removed their port forwarding feature, I decided to try AirVPN. I have a linux mint machine with qbittorrent-nox installed on a 1Gbps/1Gbps fiber connection with a Pfsense router. 

With Mullvad when they had port forwarding, I used to get an average of 400mbps down and  250mbps up when torrenting linux isos. Without port forwarding my upload was more around 60mbps. With AirVPN, I get an average of 25/20mbps. 

The max I managed to get was 56mbps down with only a really high seed count torrent and no seeding. When I speed test I get pretty good results: 450/350mbps. It's the torrenting part that atrocious. The speeds mentioned above are when I use Wireguard. I tried OVPN with UDP and TCP. Both yield pretty much the same results: 25/20mbps while torrenting and 120/100 mbps for speed tests. I tried multiple servers in Toronto, Montreal and the US East Coast. The numbers above are from the best results I managed to obtain the rest are worst. I tried using Eddie and using Wireguard directly, but there was no measurable difference.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix it. I still have 2 days out of the 3 days subscription to see if I can fix it. 

Thank you

Hello!

Please set a small MTU size as a first test. Try for example 1320 bytes. To do so add the following line in the WireGuard configuration [Interface] section:
MTU = 1320

When I speed test I get pretty good results: 450/350mbps.

Also make sure that uTP is disabled in the torrent program settings, as it will shape traffic, and check your torrent program settings against the following guide:
https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

Connection and torrent program must both be re-started in order to apply the changes.

If the problem persists please try a direct connection from another device, just to rule out that the bottleneck is in the pfSense box and to make a comparison. Do you see packet errors in the OpenVPN log, when connected over UDP? Last but not least, please remember to open a ticket (if you haven't already done so) for AirVPN support (here you will get community support, so you might like to get both professional and community support).

Kind regards