Not connected, Your IP: 3.19.30.232
Koalaman

ANSWERED Always slow speeds when connected

Hi,

So I'm Aussie and have my Raspberry Pi 4 now wired and am getting roughly 900mbit down and 45mbit up when NOT connected to AirVPN.

I use Bluetit quick auto connect on startup and no matter which server I connect to the best I have seen for download speed is only around 60mbit. Sometimes. Upload speed is painfully slow. 2-8 mbit.

Is this just something to be expected? I was hoping to somehow get at least 100mbit down ...

Thank for your advice :)

I've also noticed horrific download and upload speeds today, I'm currently getting 850/45 speeds without using AIRVPN today, but using their servers I'm seeing speeds at 20/11(NZ), 100/18(Various US servers), and 240/12(Various SG servers). This is not the usual AIRVPN experience I'm used to, is something affecting the network today?

@Koalaman

Hello!

Please try a connection over WireGuard and check whether performance improves. Note: AirVPN Suite 1.3 and older versions don't support WireGuard. The support has been added on the latest 2.0.0 alpha 2. You might test the latest Suite preview (if you feel adventurous) or you can try WireGuard userspace utilities directly, or you can run Eddie Linux edition. Please see here for the latest Suite 2.0.0 preview version:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56704-linux-airvpn-suite-200-preview-available/

@zman3000

Since the problem in your case appeared suddenly, please open a ticket (to get official AirVPN support) and a thread of your own (for community support).

In general, check here for the performance you can expect in AirVPN when no adverse conditions (for example traffic shaping by the ISP, MTU size problems etc. etc.) are met:
https://airvpn.org/status/

Watch the "Top User Speed" table. Moreover, by checking the status page you can also have immediate and updated information on the infrastructure status, so you'll know whether some problem is affecting the infrastrucutre and/or specific servers. A screenshot of the table we mentioned to have a photo of the status of the infrastructure soon after you published the message:

Top_user_speed.png.2e924e19bc6c71a63ba5cfc91f12a8d7.png

Kind regards

@Koalaman

Hello!

Please try a connection over WireGuard and check whether performance improves. Note: AirVPN Suite 1.3 and older versions don't support WireGuard. The support has been added on the latest 2.0.0 alpha 2. You might test the latest Suite preview (if you feel adventurous) or you can try WireGuard userspace utilities directly, or you can run Eddie Linux edition. Please see here for the latest Suite 2.0.0 preview version:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56704-linux-airvpn-suite-200-preview-available/

I have uninstalled everything AirVPN suite related and installed Wireguard on my Raspberry Pi and my config file is Asia Wireguard as I am in Australia. 

"speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Leaseweb Asia (103.254.153.99)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Progenet Innovations Sdn Bhd (Petaling Jaya) [313.76 km]: 241.731 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 4.91 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 5.88 Mbit/s"
I am super confused. 

@Koalaman

Hello!

Maybe connecting to Singapore (as it happened in your example) is not ideal from some Australia ISP. Can you please test specifically Japan, New Zealand and California (we mention California because there's a direct connection via a submarine cable between Australia and California, worth a try anyway).

Also please set MTU to 1320 bytes in the [Interface] section of your WireGuard configuration file and check whether performance improves or not.
MTU = 1320

You can edit the configuration file with any text editor. Re-run WireGuard to apply the change. Note: Bleutit 2.0.0 alpha 2 already sets WireGuard interface MTU to 1320 bytes by default (next release will let you set a custom value as well).

Kind regards

Thank you for your support! 

I am now getting around constant 100mbit down via ethernet to my Pi connected to Asian servers, however not more - Is this to be expected?

Secondly, no matter what I do, my upload is atrocious, used to be better when using AirVPN Suite, but not crazy better, UP always around 2mbit.

Here's my .conf file for wireguard:

~ $ sudo cat /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
[Interface]
Address = 10.15xxxx230/32, fd7d:76ee:exxxx2:d2a7:64a3/128
PrivateKey = XXXXXXXXXXX
MTU = 1320
DNS = 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4  # Use Google's DNS servers or replace with your preferred DNS

[Peer]
PublicKey = xxxxxx
PresharedKey = xxxxxx
Endpoint = asia3.vpn.airdns.org:1637
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0  # This will route all traffic through the VPN
PersistentKeepalive = 15

12 hours ago, Koalaman said:

Thank you for your support! 

I am now getting around constant 100mbit down via ethernet to my Pi connected to Asian servers, however not more - Is this to be expected?

Secondly, no matter what I do, my upload is atrocious, used to be better when using AirVPN Suite, but not crazy better, UP always around 2mbit.

Hello!

Both conditions are not expected. Now that the previous problem is resolved at least in download (yes, the upload seems even worse now, puzzling!), try to enlarge at small steps the MTU size. Start with 1340 bytes. If the performance improves, keep going up at small steps of 20 bytes maximum (1360, 1380...). As soon as performance decreases, go back to the previous step for optimum performance.

Another factor to consider is packet errors caused by the physical layer, if the device is connected via WiFi. Unfortunately WireGuard's puny log does not help in this case, so try anyway to change channel and get a stronger WiFi signal (ignore if the Pi is already connected via Ethernet):
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11/

How is the upload band measured?

Kind regards

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I am connected on a Raspberry Pi 4 via ethernet.
I do have wifi active but I connect via ethernet to everything, wifi is just backup.
I have done the speed tests with wifi turned off too. 

Here is my original download speed before connecting:

~ $ speedtest
Testing from xxx (122.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
Hosted by Macquarie Telecom (Sydney) [0.09 km]: 4.04 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 903.44 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 31.97 Mbit/s

And now when connected via Wireguard and ethernet:

mtu=1320
jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Hosted by Maxis (Kuala Lumpur) [306.33 km]: 237.683 ms
Download: 71.89 Mbit/s
Upload: 9.81 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $

=====
mtu=1340

jack@jack ~ $ sudo wg show
interface: wg0
  public key: xxxxxx
  private key: (hidden)
  listening port: 33402
  fwmark: 0xca6c

peer: xxxxxx
  preshared key: (hidden)
  endpoint: 103.254.153.107:1637
  allowed ips: 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0
  latest handshake: 7 seconds ago
  transfer: 7.23 KiB received, 7.54 KiB sent
  persistent keepalive: every 15 seconds
jack@jack ~ $ myip
jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Hosted by Orient Telecoms (Kuala Lumpur) [306.27 km]: 238.392 ms
Download: 23.65 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed.....................................................................................................
.Upload: 6.16 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $

========
mtu=1360
jack@jack ~ $ myip
103.254.153.99jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Hosted by Maxis (Kuala Lumpur) [306.33 km]: 235.474 ms
Testing download speed...............................................................................
.Download: 36.34 Mbit/s
Upload: 10.60 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $
=======

mtu=1380
jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Hosted by Maxis (Kuala Lumpur) [306.33 km]: 236.463 ms
Download: 74.06 Mbit/s
Upload: 10.15 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $
=======
mtu=1400
jack@jack ~ $ myip
103.254.153.99jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Hosted by REDtone Telecommunications Sdn Bhd (Puchong) [304.34 km]: 236.341 ms
Download: 19.81 Mbit/s
Upload: 9.29 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $
=====
jack@jack ~ $ speedtest
Testing from Leaseweb Asia (209.58.173.138)...
Hosted by REDtone Telecommunications Sdn Bhd (Puchong) [304.34 km]: 234.803 ms
Download: 20.52 Mbit/s
Upload: 5.35 Mbit/s
jack@jack ~ $
=========
mtu=1320 (again)
speedtest
Hosted by Maxis (Kuala Lumpur) [306.33 km]: 236.219 ms
Download: 70.51 Mbit/s
Upload: 9.26 Mbit/s

As you can see, yeah doesnt make much of a difference, I am really confused what to do now, maybe try OpenVPN? 

Hello!

We don't deem those tests reliable at all. Why are they performed against servers in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur and Puchong)? That's a questionable choice for our servers in New Zealand, Japan and Singapore. Try with comparison servers and VPN servers in the same country. The only correct choice was Sydney when you were not connected to the VPN.

Trying OpenVPN makes sense in case WireGuard and/or UDP are shaped. In this latter case please make sure to test OpenVPN over TCP.

Kind regards

On 12/8/2023 at 8:21 PM, Staff said:

That's a questionable choice for our servers in New Zealand, Japan and Singapore. Try with comparison servers and VPN servers in the same country.

speedtest
Testing from SiteHost New Zealand (120.138.16.101)...
Hosted by Spark New Zealand (Auckland) [8.03 km]: 64.443 ms
Download: 280.14 Mbit/s
Upload: 33.05 Mbit/s

===

speedtest
connected to California 

Testing from Unknown (23.130.104.130)...
Hosted by Tachus Fiber Internet (Montgomery, TX) [841.71 km]: 291.425 ms
Download: 25.77 Mbit/s
Upload: 4.07 Mbit/s

A lot better, I can live with this more or less, still not understanding why I don't get similar DOWNload speeds. The upload speed looks fine more or less considering I am on 40 up by the ISP.
This has still been done using Wireguard.

@Koalaman

Hello!

Very well! Now you can perform an additional, slight fine tuning, by modifying little by little (e.g. 5 bytes steps) the MTU size and checking for each value.

Kind regards

Thank you so far for all the help. 

I am getting around: 

Testing from Intergrid Group Pty Ltd (103.231.91.59)...
Hosted by NOW (Auckland) [0.30 km]: 52.359 ms
Download: 396.17 Mbit/s
Upload: 36.07 Mbit/s

on a 1000/40 connection from Sydney. 

Is this expected ?

- Very happy, but wondering if higher speeds should technically be possible if I keep teaking, so far this is the best I can get going up with the MTU by 20 bytes, currently at 1400. 

@Koalaman

Hello!

Even better now. And yes, 396 Mbit/s in download is expected from New Zealand servers (consider that on the server 2x bandwidth is needed). It's anyway a good performance in general in our infrastructure. The upload speed is very close to max capacity (40 Mbit/s) so it's perfect now. :ok:

Kind regards